U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:29 PM

313 posts, read 1,146,467 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of getting a scooter for intown Atlanta driving. It would be interesting to compare percent accidents of scooters driving 40 mph around intown atlanta and cars flying at 90 mph down 85,75 etc. which is safer? hmmmmm.....

Seems to me if you stick to slower traffic roads which you can do ITP then you should be relatively safe...OTP its quite a bit more difficult and I probably wouldnt want to tackle that sprawl nightmare!

any other scooter folks out there?? It would be interesting to hear opinions of people who do ride...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 09:38 PM

15 posts, read 82,633 times
well, as I understand it most motorcycle accidents are caused by left turning cars, and there are more of those off the highway. I ride because I enjoy it and because I'm an enthusiast. I wouldn't say it's safe because you don't have a ton of metal around you and things happen. On top of that I think a two wheeled rider needs to über alert and educated. I'm talking about training classes and practicing riding skills. I'm always glad to hear interest because I think it's a great forum of transportation and no I'm not a shop owner. If you really want more feedback on your question post it on the scootlanta forum.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:04 AM

483 posts, read 1,909,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadgrad View Post
I am thinking of getting a scooter for intown Atlanta driving. It would be interesting to compare percent accidents of scooters driving 40 mph around intown atlanta and cars flying at 90 mph down 85,75 etc. which is safer? hmmmmm.....

Seems to me if you stick to slower traffic roads which you can do ITP then you should be relatively safe...OTP its quite a bit more difficult and I probably wouldnt want to tackle that sprawl nightmare!

any other scooter folks out there?? It would be interesting to hear opinions of people who do ride...
No scooter - a motorcycle is better able to get out of the way, but still dangerous.
People (especially in Atlanta*) DO NOT SEE YOU if you are on a bike, scooter, or MC.
So you could drive at 5 mph and still get flattened by some idiot jabbering away on his cell phone while using his laptop to finish that report. (and driving an SUV, by the way).

*There are some parts of the country where motorcycles and scooters are more common, and drivers are used to looking out for them. Atlanta is not one of those places.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:20 AM

313 posts, read 1,146,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomtone View Post
well, as I understand it most motorcycle accidents are caused by left turning cars, and there are more of those off the highway. I ride because I enjoy it and because I'm an enthusiast. I wouldn't say it's safe because you don't have a ton of metal around you and things happen. On top of that I think a two wheeled rider needs to über alert and educated. I'm talking about training classes and practicing riding skills. I'm always glad to hear interest because I think it's a great forum of transportation and no I'm not a shop owner. If you really want more feedback on your question post it on the scootlanta forum.
Thanks, Ill check out that website...I am hoping that if I get a scooter, riding around inside the perimter, off main roads it wont be too bad. Maybe as more people ride people will pay more attention.

Decatur seems pretty scooter friendly...

Old 10-16-2007, 11:35 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,486,402 times
Quote:
I suppose we should all drive tanks.
There are times I wish I had an 88mm gun mounted on my car. The guy who was flashing his lights at me this morning on the E/W Connector even though I had four cars ahead of me making me move slowly could use a nice round hole riiight next to his head as a warning shot.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:02 PM

382 posts, read 972,231 times
Thumbs up Tanks????

Quote:
I suppose we should all drive tanks.
Boy, now you are on the right track. I have threatened to purchase a Sherman Tank for years and years - just for protection!!!!

Old 10-20-2007, 07:11 PM

382 posts, read 972,231 times
Thumbs up You the Man!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
There are times I wish I had an 88mm gun mounted on my car. The guy who was flashing his lights at me this morning on the E/W Connector even though I had four cars ahead of me making me move slowly could use a nice round hole riiight next to his head as a warning shot.

JEEZE, glad to know there are like minded folks out there. I am a petite, little old lady, and have been contemplating the same FOR YEARS. Family thinks I am a little touched but, Hey, I believe in personal survival first.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:59 PM

I made the tank comment speaking about safety vs. practicality. Motorcycles and scooters are great for getting around the city. Here is part of an interesting study:
“The results of the core simulation were extrapolated to encompass the entire Manhattan Central Business District (stretching from 60th Street to the lower tip of Manhattan). By shifting the daytime vehicle mix to 80 percent cars / 20 percent scooters, the following would result annually:

• A total decrease in delay of more than 4.6 million hours per year - which translates to time savings of nearly 100 working hours per person
• A reduction in carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by over 26,000 tons (52,000,000-pounds) per year
• A decrease in fuel consumption by over 2.5 million gallons per year
• A total savings for New York City of more than $122 million per year in fuel and labor productivity”

Old 12-03-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
No scooter - a motorcycle is better able to get out of the way, but still dangerous.
People (especially in Atlanta*) DO NOT SEE YOU if you are on a bike, scooter, or MC.
So you could drive at 5 mph and still get flattened by some idiot jabbering away on his cell phone while using his laptop to finish that report. (and driving an SUV, by the way).

*There are some parts of the country where motorcycles and scooters are more common, and drivers are used to looking out for them. Atlanta is not one of those places.
Sorry irvm, these statements are completely groundless.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:58 PM

55,667 posts, read 74,628,627 times
dont know scooters but motorcycles yes. per california DMV someone on a motorcycle is 16 times more prone to die in an accident than somebody in a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta