U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:39 AM

28 posts, read 41,619 times

Advertisements

I would avoid Ponce at all cost. Your son wouldn't last a week commuting on that road. The drivers are crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 06:34 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,093,051 times
I've noticed that scooters have become very popular in the Emory/city of Decatur area. There are plenty of secondary roads around there that are less traveled by cars and afford safer driving for two-wheeled vehicles. I would be a little reluctant to get out on the major thoroughfares, but for traveling around campus and the adjacent neighborhoods, I'd be fine.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:01 AM

188 posts, read 245,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomtone View Post
I suppose we should all drive tanks.
That's the idea that sold a lot of Hummers before oil spiked.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:19 PM

270 posts, read 797,317 times
This thread started in 07...just sayin...

I do want a scooter though.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:46 AM

15 posts, read 82,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tort View Post
I would avoid Ponce at all cost. Your son wouldn't last a week commuting on that road. The drivers are crazy.
I would take Ponce to and from work every day if it were faster than North Ave. And I would be smiling all the way.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:48 AM

15 posts, read 82,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
That's the idea that sold a lot of Hummers before oil spiked.
It's pretty obvious from this thread that idea is thriving. People would just rather repeat what they've heard than think.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:08 PM

14 posts, read 22,862 times
Take a cab

Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
That's true that a small wheel maneuver's better, but depending on speed, you might not have time to react. If you hit a pot hole, a big wheel handles it better than a small one. You can't change the laws of physics.
If you don't have time to react, you are doing it wrong :-).

It is a riders responsibility to be in control and aware of the road hazards (mobile and immobile) at all times. This is basic rider safety stuff. Yes, a pothole can mess up a scooter, it can also mess up a car. We can all pull out stories about worst case, reality is, your argument is valid, small wheels *can* have issues with some types of potholes. At the same time, a 4 inch wide tire can readily avoid 99% of all the potholes in the roads when ridden sensibly.

I have nearly 50k miles on scooters in and around Atlanta over the last 5 years.

I will categorically tell you that riding the scooter is not the danger. Bad drivers and bad rider habits are. Potholes are not an issue. Road Rage is not an issue. The issues are simple, people driving/riding too fast for conditions, and cell phones. Every time a driver tells me how 'dangerous' riding that scooter is, I have to bite my tongue.

The likelihood of an accident is the same, scooter, motorcycle or car. The damage to a driver is the only thing that changes, and the severity of motorcycle and scooter accidents is directly related to the size and weight of the vehicle that is involved. Scooter tangles with 6000lb SUV, and things are much worse than if a scooter tangles with another scooter.

Given that, I would say that the real 'dangerous' vehicles are the 6000lb suburban school buses that are being used as 'around town' cars, with their 8mpg and single driver who is chatting on the cell phone.

Then again, maybe I am a little biased.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:37 PM

7,112 posts, read 8,372,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeljunction View Post
If you don't have time to react, you are doing it wrong :-).

It is a riders responsibility to be in control and aware of the road hazards (mobile and immobile) at all times. This is basic rider safety stuff. Yes, a pothole can mess up a scooter, it can also mess up a car. We can all pull out stories about worst case, reality is, your argument is valid, small wheels *can* have issues with some types of potholes. At the same time, a 4 inch wide tire can readily avoid 99% of all the potholes in the roads when ridden sensibly.

I have nearly 50k miles on scooters in and around Atlanta over the last 5 years.

I will categorically tell you that riding the scooter is not the danger. Bad drivers and bad rider habits are. Potholes are not an issue. Road Rage is not an issue. The issues are simple, people driving/riding too fast for conditions, and cell phones. Every time a driver tells me how 'dangerous' riding that scooter is, I have to bite my tongue.

The likelihood of an accident is the same, scooter, motorcycle or car. The damage to a driver is the only thing that changes, and the severity of motorcycle and scooter accidents is directly related to the size and weight of the vehicle that is involved. Scooter tangles with 6000lb SUV, and things are much worse than if a scooter tangles with another scooter.

Given that, I would say that the real 'dangerous' vehicles are the 6000lb suburban school buses that are being used as 'around town' cars, with their 8mpg and single driver who is chatting on the cell phone.

Then again, maybe I am a little biased.
Being in control and aware of your surroundings is the responsibility of all vehicle drivers. It would be nice if drivers were 100% in assessing conditions. But even the best make a mistake or are distracted at a bad moment. And unfortunately, motorcyclists and scooterists (? ) are more vulnerable if the situation turns bad as there is not outer protection other than their clothing and helmet. I ride a bicycle and it's difficult keeping track of the cars and the road condition at the same time. While it doesn't happen often, I occasionally do hit a bad spot in the road. I'm thankful for the large wheel although it has cost me a tire repair or even a new wheel. Scooters can achieve even higher speeds but still they must be highly mindful of the traffic which can still be faster. Often it's not speed but difference in vehicle speeds that causes the danger. Add to that those small wheels which don't handle a bad spot on the road as well. 99% avoidance of problems is good but that 1% might have consequences that last a lifetime.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Being in control and aware of your surroundings is the responsibility of all vehicle drivers. It would be nice if drivers were 100% in assessing conditions. But even the best make a mistake or are distracted at a bad moment. And unfortunately, motorcyclists and scooterists (? ) are more vulnerable if the situation turns bad as there is not outer protection other than their clothing and helmet. I ride a bicycle and it's difficult keeping track of the cars and the road condition at the same time. While it doesn't happen often, I occasionally do hit a bad spot in the road. I'm thankful for the large wheel although it has cost me a tire repair or even a new wheel. Scooters can achieve even higher speeds but still they must be highly mindful of the traffic which can still be faster. Often it's not speed but difference in vehicle speeds that causes the danger. Add to that those small wheels which don't handle a bad spot on the road as well. 99% avoidance of problems is good but that 1% might have consequences that last a lifetime.
As a bicycle rider as well, there is one major difference between a scooter and a bicycle. A scooter is traveling *in* the lane. A bicycle is traveling *beside* a lane. Sure the LAW says the bicycle has the right to the lane, but drivers do not. Outside of the slowest 50cc scooters (and arguably, even they should also be in the lane) a scooter should always be *in* their lane, maintaining gaps and distances that you on your bicycle cannot do. In this position, it is MUCH MUCH easier to monitor road conditions, not too mention the hazards in the tire tracks of the lane are far fewer and larger than those in the gutters where a bicycle lives.

I know you have good intentions, but you seem to be lacking the experience in the saddle of a scooter. As a bicyclist, you really should give it a try. As much as I love my bicycle, I feel *far* safer on the roads on one of my scooters than one either of my bicycles, and I do much of my riding OTP in the land of SUV driving Soccer Mom's armed with Cellphones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta