U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-08-2011, 09:34 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,503,305 times
Default When is Highway 92 going to be widened in Acworth?

I am trying to find out the status of Highway 92, and its expansion plans. I was at a town hall meeting last year, and the Mayor said it was going to be several years. Now I hear they will be starting on it soon and will be purchasing property along Lake Acworth (92) Drive. Heard anything??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 PM

7,322 posts, read 5,170,440 times
Can't answer you question, but found it ironic because there's been talk of widening Ga. 92 thru FAYETTE county (on the other side of the metro) for years, because it's used as a shortcut to the airport, downtown etc. by people who live in Griffin (where the highway originates). But plans to 4-lane it have been pretty much put on permanent hold due to the fact 92 down here goes thru some very hilly and scenic residential / estate areas. It really is a fascinating highway and follows a rural loop that COULD have been another western bypass around ATL had planners thought far enough ahead: Starting in Griffin, it goes cuts west- NW Fayette County, across South Fulton and Douglas County, into Paulding County, cuts across the northern part of Cobb County, enters Cherokee County and ends somewhere over around Gqa. 400. Imagine the possibilities!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 PM

1,349 posts, read 2,375,818 times
they will have to bypass acworth itself and merge into glade rd from east of i75, build a new bridge over the dam on allatoona and tie it into us41. they will also have to destroy that park by the old levee/bridge.

and then.. you are crammed right back into 2 lanes when it splits off 41 again. all the way into dallas.

10-15 years.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Can't answer you question, but found it ironic because there's been talk of widening Ga. 92 thru FAYETTE county (on the other side of the metro) for years, because it's used as a shortcut to the airport, downtown etc. by people who live in Griffin (where the highway originates). But plans to 4-lane it have been pretty much put on permanent hold due to the fact 92 down here goes thru some very hilly and scenic residential / estate areas. It really is a fascinating highway and follows a rural loop that COULD have been another western bypass around ATL had planners thought far enough ahead: Starting in Griffin, it goes cuts west- NW Fayette County, across South Fulton and Douglas County, into Paulding County, cuts across the northern part of Cobb County, enters Cherokee County and ends somewhere over around Gqa. 400. Imagine the possibilities!

You are right on about the planners thinking ahead. There is another plan on the table with it having another bridge going over Allatoona to 41 and head up to Cedarcrest Road. Before the bust, there were supposed to be 1,000 homes built up that way. Probably will not see that in my lifetime.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
they will have to bypass acworth itself and merge into glade rd from east of i75, build a new bridge over the dam on allatoona and tie it into us41. they will also have to destroy that park by the old levee/bridge.

and then.. you are crammed right back into 2 lanes when it splits off 41 again. all the way into dallas.

10-15 years.
The plan that I am hearing is that the existing bridge over the lakes will become a bike path. They are going to take property on both sides of Lake Acworth Drive and build a second bridge. They are also restricted about where they can go near the storage business at the curve, because there is a creek there with some kind of endangered fish.

The new Racetrack at Glade and 92 is going to be a goldmine. Maybe this will help Acworth Village, which has come to a halt along with so many other subdivisions.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:00 AM

1,349 posts, read 2,375,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
The plan that I am hearing is that the existing bridge over the lakes will become a bike path. They are going to take property on both sides of Lake Acworth Drive and build a second bridge. They are also restricted about where they can go near the storage business at the curve, because there is a creek there with some kind of endangered fish.

The new Racetrack at Glade and 92 is going to be a goldmine. Maybe this will help Acworth Village, which has come to a halt along with so many other subdivisions.
It would make way more sense for them to run it perpendicular to i75 for a few miles and then across that and the lake merging it into 92 north of mars hill rd bypassing 41 altogether.

it will be interesting to see the plans once they are ready. but im not holding my breath. it's a nightmare of a stretch to do correctly. i remember the old 92 through cherokee. they pretty much levelled it and took a whole new location to make it work. but it was empty land so they could allocate as they needed.

i was surprised to see the racetrak tonight. they have one at the next exit, half a mile away. the new one down on 92 next to woodstock though is awesome. not sure they can beat it. but we will see

Old 08-10-2011, 03:51 PM

2,397 posts, read 1,884,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
How is it a rural loop when it passes through mostly suburban land?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta