Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 10:48 AM

10 posts, read 25,634 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Atlanta with my son(single father) who is ten years old. My price range b'c of recent divorce and other financial issues is around 600-650 for 2 bedroom apt/duplex. I saw some in this price range near a busy street Boulevard near Atlanta Medical Center. Is this a decent area? I don't mind commuting so I have also seen some duplexes in Covington, Douglasville, Conyers, and Forest Park/East Point in this price range. Is 600-650 to be expected in a decent area within city limits of Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 11:02 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,128 times
Where will you be working? Boulevard isn't the best area. But living near where you work and where your son will go to school will help you out tremendously.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:10 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Boulevard near the med. center is an area that was awful for a long time (crack, homelessnes, street crime, etc). It is rapidly improving as developers have realized they can build condos on Boluevard with the best skyline views available anywhere in the city, but the area still has some lingering problems.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:36 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,169 times
Any of the newer or gated buildings/complexes should be fine, but I'm pretty sure at $600-650 they aren't what you are looking at. The stuff in the 600-650 range is going to be rough, definitely not a family environment.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,894 times
Default Any good areas in city limits of Atlanta?

Hello chrismikayla. I would highly recommend you think twice about the boulevard area. While the gentrification process is indeed occuring it is not quite there yet. The last thing you and your son need is crime. for your price range you can get into studios within the Virginia Higlands or midtown areas. Many apartments are converted older houses and pricing is generally more reasonable when compared to your standard apartment complex. One place I would recomend is the Peachtree Hills area. While a few miles further from midtown you have immediate access to Lindberg marta. There is also a complex called Harmony Peachtree Hills, which has good sized one bedrooms in your price range. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-16-2007, 02:42 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,763 times
I strongly recommend that you pick up a copy of Atlanta's independent newspaper Creative Loafing or go to the Classifieds section of their website. You may be able to find houses to rent for $800+--especially in Cabbagetown, which is a cool little artsy enclave near Boulevard. East Atlanta, Inman Park, Candler Park, Little 5 Points, Lake Claire, and Downtown Decatur all have a sufficient amount of rentals--either apartments or small houses--and most of these communities have excellent elementary schools as well.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:22 AM

426 posts, read 2,321,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismikayla View Post
I recently moved to Atlanta with my son(single father) who is ten years old. My price range b'c of recent divorce and other financial issues is around 600-650 for 2 bedroom apt/duplex. I saw some in this price range near a busy street Boulevard near Atlanta Medical Center. Is this a decent area? I don't mind commuting so I have also seen some duplexes in Covington, Douglasville, Conyers, and Forest Park/East Point in this price range. Is 600-650 to be expected in a decent area within city limits of Atlanta?
600-650 for a two bedroom is going to put you in a high crime, undesirable area with bad schools in the city of Atlanta. I would suggest going with what ou have seen for rent in Douglasville. It's not too far from Atlanta, the schools are decent, and there aren't that many high crime areas. The city has gotten very expensive, even to rent, so the burbs (further out) would be your best bet. If you see anything in the price range in North Clayton County (Riverdale, Jonesboro, and Forest Park) avoid it like the plague. Add anything in Dekalb in that price range too. Places in that range in these close in suburban counties tend to resemble inner-city commnities moreso than safe suburban enclaves.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:54 AM

96 posts, read 405,468 times
You can probably find something in that price range, an apartment in an okay neighborhood inside the city limits.

Decatur would be my first recommendation because of it's excellent schools and proximity to a Marta station.

You may be able to find something in Candler Park, but I think Inman Park will cost more.

Cabbagetown is fine for adults and I have seen duplexes in that price range ther, but it's a little sketchy if you have a kid.

For that price, you will probably be sharing a one bedroom, I doubt you can find a two bedroom.

BTW - the nature of proper Atlanta is hard to pin down. One block is very nice and the next is pretty sketchy. It's like this over and over. I live in the Grant Park area, and I feel very safe, but people I know who live outside the perimeter often tell me they would never live where I live because they think it's dangerous.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,297 times
Moving to the Atlanta, GA area, just me and the husband. We are a christian young couple and just married. We have been looking for apartments but a lot of the reviews online are very scary. We really need help with finding a safe but fun area. Can someone help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta