U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 12:46 PM

955 posts, read 2,861,909 times

Advertisements

The population of Forsyth County grew 123% from 1990 - 2000. Grew another 78.4% from 2000 - 2010 to 175,511. We should be easily above 300k by 2020.

Did much of Johns Creek, Suwanee and Alpharetta look like Forsyth county back in the 1990's and 2000?

Forsyth County seems so undeveloped.. to have this kind of population living there. Anyone have any opinions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 01:44 PM

12,500 posts, read 48,525,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Anyone have any opinions?

Can Forsyth grow to those numbers- anything is possible. Will it? I doubt it. Why? Infrastructure! They didn't start soon enough. They're playing catchup, and have been since the mid-90's. When developers realize that infrastructure isn't available- they won't come. Which means no increased tax base to complete or start other infrastructure projects.

Actually it was the late 70's and well into the 80's the north Fulton had the "rural" feel that Forsyth used to have.
Here a site for maps and projections-
http://www.forsythco.com/DeptPage.as...=14&PageID=883

Old 08-17-2011, 03:11 PM

876 posts, read 1,938,134 times
I think there will be some growth in Forsyth, but not at the neck-breaking speed that Gwinnett, Cobb and North Fulton had in the 80s-00s. I think the economy and home building in particular will remain slow for several years. So overall, I think there won't be much change given what we see right now. And I think that is the case for most of the outer burbs of Atlanta.

2020 is about 9 years from now and I do not see Forsyth being much different other than having some population gains and some commercial growth. Much of North Fulton seemed very undeveloped into the mid-1990s. I would go up that way and I thought sometimes North Fulton (Johns Creek) and Forsyth were one of the same in the early 1990s given how undeveloped they both were.

After GA 400 was completed around that time as an interstate, that's when its growth jump-started in that area of the North metro. Forsyth experienced some substantial growth, too, but I think most of that has already happened. Different times now and much different economy.

Last edited by SW30303; 08-17-2011 at 03:52 PM..

Old 08-17-2011, 06:28 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,569,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
The population of Forsyth County grew 123% from 1990 - 2000. Grew another 78.4% from 2000 - 2010 to 175,511. We should be easily above 300k by 2020.
I doubt it. The economic downturn will at least last five more years, probably more, in my opinion. With that said, houses aren't being constructed or sold. Forsyth will grow, but not by much. Forsyth will probably be in the range of 200,000-220,000 by 2020.

Quote:
Did much of Johns Creek, Suwanee and Alpharetta look like Forsyth county back in the 1990's and 2000?
John's Creek did not exist during the 90s. It's less than ten years old as a city. The area during the 90s had an Alpharetta mailing address. People thought of it as Alpharetta. That said, the area of "John's Creek" in northeastern Fulton County was primarily rural until the mid 90s. During the mid 90s, say around 1995-1997, that area exploded with development. Within two years, it went from looking like a rural or slightly exurban area to a full-blown highly suburban area.

Suwanee began seeing growth during the late 80s and early 90s. It was suburban in the 90s, particularly Suwanee east of I-85. Areas west of I-85 was more of an exurban suburban until the mid to late 90s, when the area developed out more.

Alpharetta looked rural throughout much of the early 90s in its eastern reaches. However, those areas are now known as "John's Creek". The North Point Mall was built in 1993, and that area was highly suburban, but once you drove a few miles east, it quickly became less populated. That is, if you were north of Roswell.

Quote:
Forsyth County seems so undeveloped.. to have this kind of population living there. Anyone have any opinions?
These days, southern, southwestern, and eastern Forsyth seem somewhat built up to me. This includes areas in close proximity to Ga. 400, Highway 9, and Highway 371. Even areas of northern Forsyth are now suburban-like in areas, such as around the Coal Mountain community. However, the northwestern quadrant of Forsyth, north of Highway 20, is relatively rural.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:32 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,569,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
I think there will be some growth in Forsyth, but not at the neck-breaking speed that Gwinnett, Cobb and North Fulton had in the 80s-00s. I think the economy and home building in particular will remain slow for several years. So overall, I think there won't be much change given what we see right now. And I think that is the case for most of the outer burbs of Atlanta.

2020 is about 9 years from now and I do not see Forsyth being much different other than having some population gains and some commercial growth. Much of North Fulton seemed very undeveloped into the mid-1990s. I would go up that way and I thought sometimes North Fulton (Johns Creek) and Forsyth were one of the same in the early 1990s given how undeveloped they both were.

After GA 400 was completed around that time as an interstate, that's when its growth jump-started in that area of the North metro. Forsyth experienced some substantial growth, too, but I think most of that has already happened. Different times now and much different economy.
Georgia 400 north of I-285 was completed in the early 80s, unless I'm mistaken.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:34 PM

29,247 posts, read 26,183,299 times
Forsyth is going to keep growing and growing. Fifty years from now it will be an inner ring suburb.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:54 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,512,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Can Forsyth grow to those numbers- anything is possible. Will it? I doubt it. Why? Infrastructure! They didn't start soon enough. They're playing catchup, and have been since the mid-90's. When developers realize that infrastructure isn't available- they won't come. Which means no increased tax base to complete or start other infrastructure projects.

Actually it was the late 70's and well into the 80's the north Fulton had the "rural" feel that Forsyth used to have.
Here a site for maps and projections-
Forsyth County Government :: K. Forsyth County Infrastructure Survey
I completely agree. The traffic in North Fulton is simply atrocious. That traffic will just continue to spread up to South Forsyth. The problem is that there is just a complete lack of crossroads in the area. I just can't see the demand for housing that far out to boom for quite a while.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:06 PM

955 posts, read 2,861,909 times
The key is jobs. If there is a strong job center base in Suwanee, Alpharetta, and Johns Creek, the strong demand for housing will follow in S. Foryth. I think Ashton Woods already have 4 communities that they have started building in S. Forsyth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I completely agree. The traffic in North Fulton is simply atrocious. That traffic will just continue to spread up to South Forsyth. The problem is that there is just a complete lack of crossroads in the area. I just can't see the demand for housing that far out to boom for quite a while.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:10 PM

9,110 posts, read 17,051,421 times
i'll Be thinking of getting out of Forsyth. If i plan it right in 2021, I'll be heading west to some new (post work) home, away from any traffic (A traffic jam will two cars get to THE light in town) big city.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,610,747 times
In 2020:

-Buckhead will look like today's Midtown
-Perimeter Center will look like today's Buckhead
-Alpharetta will look like today's Perimeter Center
-South Forsyth will look like today's Alpharetta

Atlanta continues to grow primarily northward. Buckhead is emerging as the region's center. Downtown will become more and more of an egde, rather than a center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta