Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,194,964 times

Advertisements

Do renters bother you? I'm talking about renters in established neighborhoods, filled with mostly families who have a mortgage?

From what I see, renters are a very disrespectful bunch. At least, most of the ones I have seen. Please correct me if I'm being too general.

Renters are horrible with maintaining their house. They can't even seem to do normal maintenance on the home, such as mowing the lawn and clipping the bushes. Not only that, but the houses are often filled with multiple, non-related people, each with their own car, who park in the street. Renters are known for "coming and going", often at late hours of the night, since most are young, working jobs such as waiting tables or delivering pizza that are known for late work hours. There's nothing like trying to sleep and a car blasting out the speakers at 2 am, along with the sounds of laughter of males and females talking loudly outside, who seem to have no respect, or any idea of what time of night it is.

With the downturn of the economy, and many people unable to sell, I've noticed many owners turning to young renters who figure that they can get a house (and trash it) for a cheaper price than an apartment.

Seriously, not all renters are like this, but if I had to estimate, I'd argue that at least fifty percent of renters have some of the nastiest yards in a neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 09:00 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,511,561 times
I have noticed some of that, where you get a bunch of folks sharing a house and it goes down the tubes. If you've got 6 guys sharing a house and they're only into it for a few hundred bucks apiece and aren't planning on staying too long, they don't have much incentive to keep it up. It doesn't help when the landlord is absent or doesn't care either.

Unfortunately, that may be the way of the future.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:38 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,745,823 times
In my neighborhood it is 50/50 - half of the renters are EXCELLENT, take better care of the home than the original homeowner. The other half do the bare minimum.

I've had the discussion about yards with many family and friends. I feel strongly that the owner of the property should include in the rent, the lawn service. If the renter insists that they want to save the money then it should also be written in the rental agreement that the lawn is kept to a certain standard or ...

I live in a townhome and I have a problem in general whenever there are single men (say 35 and younger). They will be great guys personally but they are so busy with their social lives that taking care of the property is just not a priority. They don't notice the basic things - the guy accross the street from me will walk past his trash can for 3+ days multiple times per day before he pulls it back or the edge of the driveway.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:07 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,970,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Do renters bother you? I'm talking about renters in established neighborhoods, filled with mostly families who have a mortgage?
We've not had any issues, although we've had a few renters (perhaps more) in our subdivision.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:21 AM

208 posts, read 417,500 times
Please take into consideration that the landlord is the one making the profits, not the renters. The renters, like myself, are throwing money away, WORKING for a living, while the landlord is in a position where he doesn't have to WORK for a living, he just rents property.

What I find MORE pathetic than hard-working renters not keeping up OTHER people's property, is LANDLORDS, some of which live in OTHER STATES, who don't have to WORK for a living because they can rent out properties!!!

Those landlords are PROFITING off YOUR misery!

Old 08-18-2011, 05:12 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,602,826 times
My neighborhood is well enough organized (though no mandatory home owners association) that we have been known to make the owner's life miserable. Emailing, calling, even writing letters, until the property is well maintained. We don't have many renters though -- and most do what they are suppose to, so it isn't very often that we have to resort to this tactic.

Other communities call code enforcement regularly.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:16 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,745,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
Please take into consideration that the landlord is the one making the profits, not the renters. The renters, like myself, are throwing money away, WORKING for a living, while the landlord is in a position where he doesn't have to WORK for a living, he just rents property.
This is not true in many neighborhoods. In my neighborhood, homes are for rent because the owner cannot sell them at a price to cover their mortgage (many are under the water).

Luckily there is a healthy rental market so the owners are able to minimize their losses or break even at best. Most of the owners that are renting outgrew the townhome and bought a house within 5 miles.

I am just asking that they mow the lawn. You can get a great new mower for $200 or there are lawn services that already take care of many yards in the neighborhood.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:20 AM

13,534 posts, read 9,938,424 times
I would like to find some that don’t run off without paying the rent!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:14 AM

608 posts, read 1,702,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post

From what I see, renters are a very disrespectful bunch. At least, most of the ones I have seen. Please correct me if I'm being too general.

Renters are horrible with maintaining their house. They can't even seem to do normal maintenance on the home, such as mowing the lawn and clipping the bushes. Not only that, but the houses are often filled with multiple, non-related people, each with their own car, who park in the street. Renters are known for "coming and going", often at late hours of the night, since most are young, working jobs such as waiting tables or delivering pizza that are known for late work hours. There's nothing like trying to sleep and a car blasting out the speakers at 2 am, along with the sounds of laughter of males and females talking loudly outside, who seem to have no respect, or any idea of what time of night it is.

With the downturn of the economy, and many people unable to sell, I've noticed many owners turning to young renters who figure that they can get a house (and trash it) for a cheaper price than an apartment.

Seriously, not all renters are like this, but if I had to estimate, I'd argue that at least fifty percent of renters have some of the nastiest yards in a neighborhood.

YOU KIDS KEEP OFF MY LAWN!!!

People find the most ridiculous things to complain about when they own a single family home. They think it gives them some right to dictate how every other human being around them lives their life. Thank God I don't live in the suburbs.

Who gives a crap if their lawn is not perfectly maintained? It doesn't affect you. Unless they're growing a jungle, does it really matter?

I'd agree that loud music and talking at 2 AM is annoying and disrespectful, but from my experience, renters aren't any more likely to do this than homeowners. Most neighborhoods I've lived in, it's normally been teenagers who do this sort of stuff, more than renters.

Obviously, the most truly neglectful people will probably be renters --- but that's not because renters are, by their nature, negligent and disrespectful. It's because people who are negligent and disrespectful are less likely to get approved for a bank loan.

But really ... it's a pretty stupid rant overall. If the homeowner is renting out to someone who is negligent and trashes their home, it sort of says as much about the homeowner as it does the renter. I wouldn't rent out a property I owned to someone who seemed not to care about the condition of it. My guess is that people who do normally are in desperation mode. I'd rather have a lawn that looked less than perfect than a boarded up house next door, though.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:23 AM

5,031 posts, read 6,307,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post

What I find MORE pathetic than hard-working renters not keeping up OTHER people's property, is LANDLORDS, some of which live in OTHER STATES, who don't have to WORK for a living because they can rent out properties!!!

Those landlords are PROFITING off YOUR misery!
You know how I got the money to buy a rental property? WORKING for a living. You know how much I make off it? Zilch, because of paying for maintenance, landscaping, and periodic repainting and carpet replacement.

Maybe I should become a slumlord so I COULD profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta