U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2014, 11:47 AM
 
Location: ATLANTA
708 posts, read 805,732 times
Reputation: 285

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliWestCoast View Post
Very true and Atlanta is no where near international like Miami is! Also Miami has more options especially like going to the beach, bigger and better malls/shopping centers, and then you have West Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale just ahead north. Plus there are so many beaches and they are actual real beaches unlike the man made beaches in Atlanta.
Yea you right, we are no where near international LIKE Miami is, we've passed them already.

Miami is really mot international LIKE we are.
Notes-

Everywhere you go in the world and you see Coca-Cola products and when you read it, it has Atlanta on the side of it...

We have the busiest airport in the world and one of the largest and at currently moment they're still expanding.That's international.Hmmm

Not to mention we have the largest aquarium,"IN THE WORLD" international

DELTA IS EVERYWHERE "HQ"
Shall I continue because last time I heard we was still the empire city of the south, "NOT MIAMI"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2014, 12:00 PM
 
7,112 posts, read 8,351,607 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
YWe have the busiest airport in the world and one of the largest and at currently moment they're still expanding.That's international.Hmmm
Mostly domestic. Busiest international I believe is London. Even Miami is busier.

Quote:
Not to mention we have the largest aquarium,"IN THE WORLD" international
Nope, not anymore. An international aquarium?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2014, 12:16 PM
 
134 posts, read 138,259 times
Reputation: 179
Miami = yawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2014, 12:49 PM
 
463 posts, read 445,326 times
Reputation: 1192
http://www.atkearney.com/documents/1...=1397427122551

Atlanta ranks 36th and is classified as an Alpha- World City.

NYC is 1st. So no, Atlanta is nowhere near New York City in terms of size, influence, human/intellectual capital, cultural offerings, and business prowess.

Atlanta without a doubt is the dominant city of the South and a prominent global city, but New York City of the South? Absolutely not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2014, 12:50 PM
 
29,749 posts, read 27,191,110 times
Reputation: 18310
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I celebrate the anniversary when I left Atlanta.
So why do you keep posting here? I mean obviously you're free to post wherever, but it doesn't make sense. I think you actually miss Atlanta.

Quote:
Atlanta is more cookie cutter than "amazing".
And let me guess: Dallas is more "amazing" then cookie cutter, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2014, 12:52 PM
 
29,749 posts, read 27,191,110 times
Reputation: 18310
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
http://www.atkearney.com/documents/1...=1397427122551

Atlanta ranks 36th and is classified as an Alpha- World City.

NYC is 1st. So no, Atlanta is nowhere near New York City in terms of size, influence, human/intellectual capital, cultural offerings, and business prowess.

Atlanta without a doubt is the dominant city of the South and a prominent global city, but New York City of the South? Absolutely not.
"New York of the South" historically meant relative to the rest of the South, not that Atlanta was/is a Southern replica of New York. Atlanta is dominant in the Southeast/deep South (excluding peninsular Florida) in a similar way that New York is dominant in the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2014, 12:59 PM
 
463 posts, read 445,326 times
Reputation: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"New York of the South" historically meant relative to the rest of the South, not that Atlanta was/is a Southern replica of New York. Atlanta is dominant in the Southeast/deep South (excluding peninsular Florida) in a similar way that New York is dominant in the Northeast.
I understand where it comes from but I just feel like the term is a little over-the-top.

You never hear L.A. being called the "The New York of the West Coast"

Or Chicago...."New York of the Midwest"

Atlanta can hold its own just fine, why does it feel the need to compare itself to New York City when both cities are in two entirely different leagues? New York is way more than dominant in the Northeast......it is highly influential in the entire global economy and world affairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2014, 01:28 PM
 
29,749 posts, read 27,191,110 times
Reputation: 18310
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
I understand where it comes from but I just feel like the term is a little over-the-top.

You never hear L.A. being called the "The New York of the West Coast"

Or Chicago...."New York of the Midwest"

Atlanta can hold its own just fine, why does it feel the need to compare itself to New York City when both cities are in two entirely different leagues? New York is way more than dominant in the Northeast......it is highly influential in the entire global economy and world affairs.
Well you have to understand the historic reasons for such. NYC was definitely the nation's largest city when Atlanta began its ascendancy in the South, but NYC wasn't nearly as globally dominant back then for obvious reasons. You never hear about LA in that way because San Francisco was historically the economically dominant city on the West Coast. And you never heard of Chicago being described that way because it has historically seen itself as a competitor to NYC. The timeline of Atlanta's development and its status within the historically agrarian South, and its desire to be the leading Southern city when it came to the industrialization of the South, has everything to do with that nickname. I just can't understand why people have such a problem with that nickname within a historic context. These days you don't hear it nearly as much although it pops up from time to time but no one takes it seriously within a modern-day context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2014, 01:31 PM
 
Location: ATLANTA
708 posts, read 805,732 times
Reputation: 285
When I went overseas to visit cities and I tell them I'm from the SOUTH.... they was like, I wish I could go to ATLANTA...or stay in ATLANTA...they love our culture overseas, somethings they told me about Atlanta I was shocked because I didn't know that they where so into our city ..Europe,russia and south Africa, Bangladesh,Ontario,Sweden those places love ATL, especially coke!!!THEY talk about Atlanta,Houston then Miami, Orlando then Dallas....And im still over seas at this moment and I miss it so much even though I came back for one day for a meeting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2014, 01:58 PM
 
463 posts, read 445,326 times
Reputation: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well you have to understand the historic reasons for such. NYC was definitely the nation's largest city when Atlanta began its ascendancy in the South, but NYC wasn't nearly as globally dominant back then for obvious reasons. You never hear about LA in that way because San Francisco was historically the economically dominant city on the West Coast. And you never heard of Chicago being described that way because it has historically seen itself as a competitor to NYC. The timeline of Atlanta's development and its status within the historically agrarian South, and its desire to be the leading Southern city when it came to the industrialization of the South, has everything to do with that nickname. I just can't understand why people have such a problem with that nickname within a historic context. These days you don't hear it nearly as much although it pops up from time to time but no one takes it seriously within a modern-day context.
Fair enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top