Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 AM

538 posts, read 925,986 times

Advertisements

Just reading this thread makes me understand why the unemployment rate for black males is so high.......geez people, get a grip on yourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 06:36 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
Looks like the tea party trailer park brigade is out for their morning rant.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:58 AM

487 posts, read 1,816,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Yes and employers are seeking more black women over black men at an alarming rate. Even at my job its only like 20 of us to like 80 black women. It good...but bad if you know what I mean. Kinda feel bad for other cats out there who want to grind, but cant because they are men.
This is absolutely true, at my job, there are 129 women to 91 men-which does not look too bad until you look at the actual positions. Most of the men are doing -Building maintenance, Dock services, mailroom etc while the women command the higher paying more distinguished jobs. And if you look even further you will notice that almost all the above positions are filled with black men. Its affecting white men also but not the same way-there are a few here but many of them are VP's/directors/managers of their departments. There are some departments here that have no men at all. I do wonder what will happen when all management positions are taken over by women-Men's liberation

Last edited by LAB6120; 08-24-2011 at 08:25 AM..

Old 08-24-2011, 09:21 AM

714 posts, read 813,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Mybad duke...you are right...I was speaking from my other head. Again I know a few brothas I at temp gigs I got when I first got here man. And some of them cats had to go back home some eventually got a gig, but I know all the places I applied to was going to give the sista the interview over me. My government name is not exactly Chris, John or David...so I know any resume I put easily gets dumped. What can we do about it? Just keep knocking until a door opens ya know. Corporate America ain't slick Acid Snake. They think we dont know what they doing. And many black men have no clue what HR departments be doing. Its jacked up, but again what can we do?
The truth is, large companies go out of their way to find and hire qualified blacks, both male and female. There are state and federal laws that require so, along with the always lingering threat of a "RACISM! lawsuit. Surely I dont have to tell anybody about this. The regulations concerning "diversity" requirements and so-called "affirmative action" are well known.

Unfortunately, many african male applicants do not meet the minimum standards, even after applying AA. Dont get mad at me for speaking the truth.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 AM

73 posts, read 154,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
The truth is, large companies go out of their way to find and hire qualified blacks, both male and female. There are state and federal laws that require so, along with the always lingering threat of a "RACISM! lawsuit. Surely I dont have to tell anybody about this. The regulations concerning "diversity" requirements and so-called "affirmative action" are well known.

Unfortunately, many african male applicants do not meet the minimum standards, even after applying AA. Dont get mad at me for speaking the truth.
Lies! This isn't even true in Atlanta much less anywhere else in the world. Those BS rules actually discriminate against black males because of the way that minorities are calculated. Have you never heard the term "double minority"?

Old 08-24-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math Commando View Post
Lies! This isn't even true in Atlanta much less anywhere else in the world. Those BS rules actually discriminate against black males because of the way that minorities are calculated. Have you never heard the term "double minority"?
Sure. There are probably triple and quadruple minorities too. You know, the "classic" handicapped, gay, female, minority, non-christian, blah blah... Modern Family had an episode that spoke to this, sort of.

FYI: Not every white guy who applies for a corporate job gets one. Not by a LONG shot.

FYI: If two people, both equally qualified and educated, etc., apply for the same job, the minority gets it over the majority 90% of the time.

I was addressing Atlanta (and the US) of course, not "the world"

Who knew? Diversity requirements and AA actually cause discrimination AGAINST black males? Wow. Never even heard Jesse or Al claim that. But then again, "I aint listening" to what they say too much.....

Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 AM

487 posts, read 1,816,158 times
Quote:

I keep hearing this, now please correct me if I am wrong but how do you know that large companies go out their way to hire blacks. Granted I have no real life experience on what the HR departments of these companies do, but I have worked for Cablevision, Lucent Technologies, and Verizon Communications and saw no special treatment from them in the hiring process. I had to have the education/experience, take the skills tests, do the interviews like everyone else. Are you saying that I was hired because I was black to fill some quota.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Sure. There are probably triple and quadruple minorities too. You know, the "classic" handicapped, gay, female, minority, non-christian, blah blah... Modern Family had an episode that spoke to this, sort of.

FYI: Not every white guy who applies for a corporate job gets one. Not by a LONG shot.

FYI: If two people, both equally qualified and educated, etc., apply for the same job, the minority gets it over the majority 90% of the time.

I was addressing Atlanta (and the US) of course, not "the world"

Who knew? Diversity requirements and AA actually cause discrimination AGAINST black males? Wow. Never even heard Jesse or Al claim that. But then again, "I aint listening" to what they say too much.....
The minority rarely gets the job despite the law, due to double, triple, etc counting certain people. The law as it is exists to avoid hiring single minorities, primarily black males. Sure, middle eastern and asian males are single minorities census wise, but not business wise. White females get the same opportunities education and business wise as their brothers, cousins etc... because they are born into the same network. They can't really be counted as minorities because they are born with the same resources. Only black and latino males are truly single minorities in the business sense of the term.

Here in Texas you rarely see (heterosexual) black men in retail because latino males are the minority males of choice in business. They want someone who speaks spanish just in case a non-english speaking mexican want service. The problem is that most of the mexicans in my area speak a dialect that is far from standard spanish. It's pretty much the spanish version of what jamaican english is to standard english. I've taken 4 years of spanish classes and can barely understand it. Even if the latino male can't speak spanish he's still hired just to show a welcoming latino face.

I never see black teenagers working anymore, even at McDonalds. When asked why, the answer is always the same. "They said my spanish wasn't good enough." It's the same game they ran on me 15 yrs ago. That lack of working experience had a trickle down effect that still haunts my resume to this day.

All that the stupid law does is create a hierarchy of discrimination. It does more harm than the problem that it was supposed to fix. I'd rather compete with all minorities on a single level playing field (as it was before the law). The closer to the bottom you are, the more productive you have to be to get hired. You can't just match the non- or lesser minority, you have to outperform them. These companies regularly hire the majority and then fill up the administrative & support positions with mega-minorities. These are usually dead end jobs that are far away from the actual money making part of the business.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:40 AM

Sean Hannity Discussion - View Single Post - Another day, another ******* crying "Racism!!!"

Quote:
Are you serious? I don't understand why conservatives, so brilliant in leading the charge for fiscal responsibility, can turn around and sound like naive, ignorant children when it comes to race.

How specifically? Let me clue you in. In the late 90s I was a manager at a contractor company working for a Fortune 500 company. I was the paperwork ***** when it came to hiring and firing - I racked and stacked the applications and set up interviews. My boss, the district manager, and I then interviewed and decided. He had the right of veto so in reality he did the hiring but let me pretend I was equal. Ted hated blacks with a passion. He routinely voted no even though the black applicant was better qualified, more educated and a better fit. Ted schooled me on how to shred applications from blacks (the parent company demanded to see the raw racial data so shredding apps made it look like we were hiring a representative number of blacks). We hid applications from blacks in the bottom of an office cabinet to claim the were "lost" later on. We routinely added absolute lies on the interview summary sheet "candidate dressed inappropriately", "poor language skills" and such. The blacks Ted was forced to hire (and it was the bare minimum) to hide what he was doing were treated like second class citizens. They had crap assignments, bad hours and less chance then the whites. It was not uncommon for me to fire a white employee who was a **** bag and got a veto while a black employee with a minor screwup was out the door.

We aren't talking about some banjo plucking maw and paw store either - this was a well known contractor company with a multi million dollar contract to one of the largest employers in the US.

I am ashamed for what I was involved in all those years ago. I turned a blind eye because I was making great money and didn't want to rock the boat. Racism does exist in hiring decisions and to think otherwise is dumb. Is my example anecdotal? Perhaps. There is no doubt in my mind however that it goes on all the time.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:09 PM

Oh please.

"He routinely voted no even though the black applicant was better qualified, more educated and a better fit."

Not worth my time for a response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta