Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:41 AM

864 posts, read 1,122,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Oh please.

"He routinely voted no even though the black applicant was better qualified, more educated and a better fit."

Not worth my time for a response.
Yes, becuase obviously it is just not possible for a black man to me more qualified and educated. This isn't bizzaro world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 12:18 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Math Commando View Post
Lies! This isn't even true in Atlanta much less anywhere else in the world. Those BS rules actually discriminate against black males because of the way that minorities are calculated. Have you never heard the term "double minority"?
Quote of the thread.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,388 times
Quote:
If two people, both equally qualified and educated, etc., apply for the same job, the minority gets it over the majority 90% of the time.

Who knew? Diversity requirements and AA actually cause discrimination AGAINST black males?
I have heard this more from BLACK FEMALES than males, the ones who have to actually have to deal with this.
Quote:
If two people, both equally qualified and educated, etc., apply for the same job, the minority gets it over the majority 90% of the time.
Please tell me you did not type this. References.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:23 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Sure. There are probably triple and quadruple minorities too. You know, the "classic" handicapped, gay, female, minority, non-christian, blah blah... Modern Family had an episode that spoke to this, sort of.

FYI: Not every white guy who applies for a corporate job gets one. Not by a LONG shot.

FYI: If two people, both equally qualified and educated, etc., apply for the same job, the minority gets it over the majority 90% of the time.

I was addressing Atlanta (and the US) of course, not "the world"

Who knew? Diversity requirements and AA actually cause discrimination AGAINST black males? Wow. Never even heard Jesse or Al claim that. But then again, "I aint listening" to what they say too much.....
If this was true, my father would have a job in the state of Georgia. He is working as an engineer in another state. My father is African-American, is more than qualified for many jobs as he has a master's degree and nearly 3 decades of experience. My father got laid off and couldn't get a job in his field for a year. If affirmative action was really at work, my father would have been hired alot more. Affirmative action hasn't really helped my father at all. If it was helping him, he would have been hired for alot of jobs he was qualified for.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:44 AM

90 posts, read 188,259 times
When I worked for the state ten years ago it was an equal mix of white and black. The real problem was the fact that it took 5 people to do a job that 1 could do in the private sector, that's why governments are broke.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:46 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If this was true, my father would have a job in the state of Georgia. He is working as an engineer in another state. My father is African-American, is more than qualified for many jobs as he has a master's degree and nearly 3 decades of experience. My father got laid off and couldn't get a job in his field for a year. If affirmative action was really at work, my father would have been hired alot more. Affirmative action hasn't really helped my father at all. If it was helping him, he would have been hired for alot of jobs he was qualified for.
The real joke behind the whole "affirmative action" situation is that most private firms and most state agencies in America are not covered by any sort of affirmative action laws. The most concrete laws that governed Affirmative action in the workplace comes from the U.S. Presidential Executive Orders, which started with President Franklin Roosevelt up to Nixon.

Even then those executive orders only applied to the Federal Agencies that the President had control of and the private contractors & subcontractors who had business with the Federal Government. So unless the states have their own rigorous affirmative action/quota system(and more than 90% of them don't) you can bet that most organizations that have no-involvement what-so-ever with the Federal Government, will usually do the bare minium to attract & hire minorities if they choose to do so at all.

And unless those firms are publicly traded on a stock exchange, there's no way to know what exactly are the percentages of minorities hired at the firms. So private firms like Cox Enterprises, who owns the AJC & WSB tv & radio are not under any sort of obligation to hire under affirmative action or abide by a quota system.

It is such a sad & tragic joke that most Americans(especially the white ones) have an incredibly huge misconception of the actual scope & reach of affirmative action. But that's probably a testament to the power of the corporate mainstream media that it's makes people so gosh darn ignorant of the world.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 09-17-2011 at 07:51 AM..

Old 09-17-2011, 08:00 AM

62 posts, read 263,343 times
If I'm like most people when hiring, managers tend to look for someone they think is qualified to do the job and someone they would like to work with. I think race has very little to do with it.

If your experiences prove you are capable of doing the job and you have a winning personality you will get the job.

If you think you are owed a job due to race that attitude will shine right through in the interview process and you will definitely not be hired, in the private sector at least. Cant speak for government hiring processes.

My 2 cents!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:25 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
It's the same where I work at as well. Although I won't share your same sentiment about this situation being good.

The reality is, in the last 30 years since the 1980s, there has been an all out economic assault on the middle class, and in particular black men. Pick your poison: Anti-unionism, corporate personhood, anti-affirmative action, Citizen's United Vs FEC, & Dukes Vs. Wal-Mart...with each passing day the tomb meant to bury the middle class once & for all is getting deeper and larger.

A political strategy has been created where the "flat-earth" mindset is now being regarded as sacrosanct, while progressive politics are being demeaned with a supernaturally aggressive regularity. It has gotten so brazen where this insanity is even out in the open, when observing the evil actions of economic tyrants like the Koch Brothers.

You can sing praise of being surrounded by women at your Atlanta, Georgia workplace now, but just you wait. This economic apartheid phenomena if left unchecked will eventually affect you and me down the road.

And all this tough self-important talk of "I'm not like the others...I am a new negro!" won't amount to a cup of "cat-lemonade" when you, me, & our future progeny will be left fighting for breadcrumbs if/when the final curtain falls on progressive politics.

The sad part is, we saw this coming. But we were simply too lazy, too self-interested, and too ignorant to care.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:56 AM

538 posts, read 925,739 times
The truth of the matter is that most medium to large corporations have self-imposed affirmative action policies, so that when they inevitably get sued for racial discrimination they can point to their AA policies as a defense. Back in the late '90s Coke got sued for racial discrimination by a group of blacks. My neighbor worked in the department of the lead plaintiff...a black female. He told me she was pretty worthless to begin with but she kept her job because of her "double minority" status which looked good on the Coke books. After the lawsuit was filed, she knew she was bullet-proof so she refused to do any work and played solitaire on her computer all day. They had to hire a white person to come in and do the job she was getting paid to do.

Just after the racial discrimination suit was filed against Coke they also went through a pretty large scale layoff. We had about six "Coke families" in our neighborhood.....one black and the rest white. All of the white Coke employees in our 'hood were layed off, but not the black family. When the AA lawsuit was settled the black employee got a $40,000 check as part of the overall settlement for "racial discrimination". Too funny and only in America.

On the other end of the spectrum are the small companies who are not subject to AA laws. From my experience, even though they are not subject to AA laws, they tend to shy away from black employees because they don't want to have to put up with the aforementioned BS.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:18 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
The talkradio dittohead patrol strikes again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta