Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,856 times

Advertisements

I have a television background (both academically and professionally),but just dont want to live in NY or LA. The fact that CNN/Turner is based in ATL seems like the perfect compromise. Does anyone have any experience getting an entry level position at CNN? Was it very difficult?

Also, we are thinking of looking for apartments in Buckhead or Midtown. Would you say these are good areas for single girls in their mid-20s? I am not expecting anything like the culture found in NY, more just nice shops and places to eat. I know they are pricey in terms of ATL rent, but compared to NYC these places are amazingly cheap.

Any tips or advice? All is appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 10:11 AM

96 posts, read 405,567 times
I really wish there could be a sticky at the top of the Atlanta forums that gives the lowdown on Buckhead. I avoid it like the plague.

There are lot's of apt's in Midtown, many restaurants and clubs, but at night, it is a little much of a meat market IMO.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:48 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,675 times
Have you applied to CNN yet? There is also FoxSports right in Midtown (in my opinion, a better location). Coming from UF's journalism program, I thought it would be easy to land even an entry-level gig at CNN... not so much. I think I applied for a few jobs there, of course, never heard back any time. Maybe you will have better luck!

The commute to CNN or Foxsports from Buckhead would not be too bad...

I've heard CNN's pay is not too hot. To be honest, I feel Buckhead and Midtown apartments are overpriced. If you decide to come down, you could always look on Craigslist for deals. Sometimes they have cute loft or studios for good prices. Another area to consider is Vinings around 30339 zip code. The rents are a bit cheaper and there are some cute restaurants and shops and you can drive to Buckhead in like 10-15 minutes. The commute from Vinings to Midtown and Downtown is also not bad.

The thing is, lose the notion of "walkability" right away. You really can't walk places anywhere in Atlanta. Although, check out Virginia Highlands... I'm not sure of the rents and apartments around there, but it wouldn't be a bad drive to CNN or Midtown.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:09 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times
I used to work for CNN Sports Illustrated (The Cable Sports Network that uncessfully tried to vie for a share of the market against the ESPN Networks to no avail) before the network disbanded. I came in under the Video Journalist Position (VJ - Proram) as a Senior in College working full-time and worked my way up to Associate Producer. It's a entry-level position with low-pay (Back in 2000). But it's a great way to get your feet wet and there is nothing like having CNN on your resume. You can get a feel for a number of positions and feel your way out to what you ultimately want to do. You can apply online at Turner and also find more information about the program there. But like everything in life it's best to come with a plan. You should look into Inman Park/Midtown if you want for places to reside. Both are great areas but I would lean slightly to Inman Park. It would be a perfect commute to work at CNN you could catch the Marta directly to work but keep in mind you could also work at Turner Broadcasting which is located in Midtown. So it all depends on what your needs are. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 08-15-2007 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 08-15-2007, 02:43 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
Atlanta's a great place to move for singles. I'd definitely do a little networking first for CNN and Turner jobs. Midtown, Buckhead, Vinings, Emory area are all good choices. Pick up a copy of Making It in the City, a girl's guide to starting life on your own in a ridiculously expensive city you can't afford...great resource guide!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,784 times
young woman in atlanta - some areas are more safe than others. but as in NYC, there's crime in every area. do you want to be near a good public park, as opposed to a bad one, or do you need an area where you can take a walk? what about grocery stores? some places you can walk to a local store, and others, the neighborhood is like a busy parking lot with no sidewalks. do you need to be connected to public transportation - that is very iffy in Atlanta - better in some areas. you have to ask about, and for, all these things. find a rental company in Atlanta and ask all these questions, and focus in on what you want. Moderator cut: Removed being single, as you know, you cannot be too careful. since you are familiar with NYC, you can handle this if you get all your info. remember, Atlanta is very spreadout like LA; we have the longest commute times in the US; we also have bad pollution/airquality, and terrific allergy seasons with all the flowering.

Last edited by xxman777; 08-15-2007 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 08-15-2007, 04:33 PM

6 posts, read 19,386 times
You might want to think about Virginia-Highlands, Poncey Highlands areas as well as Little Five/Candler Park to live in. Buckhead has been known to be cheesy, but they just started a huge renovation of an area where all the bars used to be to make it more of a upscale. shopping/restaurant area.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,170 times
You will love it here.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:22 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
It may be hard to get a job at CNN, depending on what type of job you're looking for. In college I had 2 friends who were working unpaid internships at CNN just for the chance to be hired out of college. After they realized how cut-throat it was, they both decided they didn't want a full-time position there since it would be hard working your way up. A few years later, I had 2 more acquaintances find jobs there after college -- one was in film and the other was in marketing. They say the hours are crazy if you want to get promoted, and feel like it's a stressful environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: