U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida native relocating for job opportunity in Atlanta, single 31 year old female, seeking; how to handle relocating, adjusting to life in Atlanta, Floridians living in Atlanta

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:26 AM

12 posts, read 77,180 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Are their any native Floridian or Florida transplants living in the Atlanta area? My company is relocating me to Atlanta from the Orlando area in late Sept or Oct. I am exciting about my career progression, but at the same time, am a bit scared about moving away from the only state where Iíve lived.

I would like to know for those you who have relocated to GA from Florida, how did you adjust to living life in Atlanta? Do you get home sick or miss the Florida environment/surroundings? etc

Majority of my family resides in the Treasure Coast, Fort Pierce area. However, I currently lived 15 years in Orlando.

I told my boss that I would gladly accept the career opportunity, but now, after speaking with few friends, some think that I will be crazy to give up my home & relocate to GA.

Am only 31 years ago, single, no children-with the exception of a little dog. I would like to hear from some of you about how you managed the transition to a new state due to job relocation.
Thank you

Kadie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 05:11 AM

612 posts, read 2,545,021 times
My husband, daughter and I moved here in the last year from Tampa. We have friends that moved up at the same time from Miami and Orlando. None of us regret it and even talk about Florida any more.

We all appreciate the little bit slower pace of life, the trees and land, the better weather (if you like a little bit of seasons), and of course, the much lower cost of living. We get to spend so much more time together, in Florida, we were working 60 hour weeks to keep good paying jobs to be able to pay the bills. Here, work is not our main priority. It certainly helps if you can cash out from selling some real estate down there.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:51 AM

340 posts, read 1,437,483 times
I moved to Atlanta from Tampa Bay two years ago. Overall Atlanta is not a bad place to live. As said on this board, cost of living is relatively low if you just want to maintain middle class life style. However there are more options for a high cost life style, i.e., many whole food stores, upscale department stores, & restaurants. Weather wise I prefer 4 seasons in Atlanta over long hot summer in South Florida. Driving is no much difference other than more hilly in Atlanta than in Florida. If you like outdoor activities, you can always find something going on in the city of Atlanta. Housing wise metro Altanta has many subdivision hiden in the woods. If you live far away from main highway, surface roads can be very congested in rush hours since there is only one road for all cars in most cases. If you like beach, you are going to miss Florida. It takes 5 hour drive before you can see water.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:42 AM

387 posts, read 1,442,850 times
Well, this is the last time I'll fully write my own opinion.

I grew up in Florida... actually since you're from the area, I grew up in Volusia County. I hated it there growing up... in fact, I still hate South Volusia county. I think it's less than desirable place, somewhat poor, 'crime-ridden', with an awful education system for children.

That said, I moved to Gainesville, FL for school... stayed about 5.5 years (love it there and would move there forever, if feasible) and then moved to Atlanta in November of last year (so I've been here 10 months).

I remember how EXCITED I was to be getting out of Florida. I thought it was just a dumb place, and I felt like Florida was the laughing stock of most of the country... well, Florida and New Jersey... anyway.

I guess for me, the cliche "you don't know what you have until it's gone" is true. Even though Atlanta is drivable in a day from Florida, it feels world's apart... and I'm talking the city of Atlanta specifically, not other parts of Georgia.

The transition was, and still is horrible for me. As a Florida girl, I thought the winter was long, cold, and dreary. I literally had no clothes or shoes for winter. When the warm weather finally came... I wanted to go to the beach... but you need to take time off work to even make a beach trip worthwhile. That is one of the BIGGEST transitions for me, is getting used to the feeling of being land-locked. Obviously I could never live in the interior of the U.S., it sounds dumb and whiny to other people, but if you're a native Floridian, you probably will understand. It's not a good feeling.

Also, the people here are somewhat snobby and segregated. In Florida (we're NOT talking South Florida here), to me, the people my age (mid 20s) were for the most part, laid back, not very materialistic, and easy to get along with. Easy to make friends.

Here, I find the people very cliquey and snobby. Everybody looks the same. We did trivia last night at a bar/restaurant... literally everybody looked the same. Little to no diversity in the crowd.

The city itself is also difficult to navigate. You think I-4 traffic is bad? Wait. People always talk about the Atlanta traffic problems and it's no exaggeration. There is traffic here at all times, Saturday nights, Monday's at 11 AM, I mean really. Also, it's spread out... like way spread out and big. I've been here for almost a year and still couldn't give anybody directions around this place.

There really isn't a city in Florida that you could compare Atlanta to. It's a separate BEAST in itself. Aside from the problems of the city in general, I miss my family in Florida, my friends in Florida, and the more relaxing pace of the Florida life I knew (again, NOT talking South Florida here).

It just depends, I think before you move you should think of the things (everything) you want and enjoy in life. I wish I would have done that before I moved... but then again, I had NO idea I'd miss the beach and sun so much.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:25 AM

3,258 posts, read 8,043,963 times
I lived in Florida for awhile before moving to England for my husband, couldn't wait to get back to Florida. (I lived mostly in Brevard) Then we can to Florida from England and lived in Melbourne, Pensacola, Tampa, and Plantation before moving to North Atlanta for his work because he couldn't find work in Florida in a reasonable amount of time. We have been here 7 months, and again I can't wait to get back to Florida.

It may be worth it to give you some perspective, but you may just want to make a pro list about FL first and if the beach or warm winters and the Orlando nightlife are on there, stay put.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:27 AM

12 posts, read 77,180 times
Thank you all for sharing your advice and sharing your experiences regarding relocation to the Greater Atlanta area.

I think my best task will be trying sell me home, or I'll probably ended up renting out my home, then head to the Atlanta area.

I think one poster said it well, it's all about attitude. I will look at this relocation as positive career moving that will only lead to better things & great opportunity. At least I know that if Atlanta does not work out for me, I can always returned back to Florida, but at least I tried.

Thanks once again

Kadie from Central Florida

Old 08-20-2007, 08:59 AM

1,510 posts, read 4,655,317 times
Quote:
The transition was, and still is horrible for me. As a Florida girl, I thought the winter was long, cold, and dreary. I literally had no clothes or shoes for winter. When the warm weather finally came... I wanted to go to the beach... but you need to take time off work to even make a beach trip worthwhile. That is one of the BIGGEST transitions for me, is getting used to the feeling of being land-locked. Obviously I could never live in the interior of the U.S., it sounds dumb and whiny to other people, but if you're a native Floridian, you probably will understand. It's not a good feeling.
Agree 100%

I am a South Florida native, and lived in Atlanta for 4 years and it was very difficult for me to get used to this aspect of Atlanta. Yes youve got plenty of outdoor activities in GA, but not being near enough to the ocean was very weird and just something that I was not used to. I also got that feeling of being land-locked and could never live in the mid-west or central US.

Most Floridians complain about the weather and the humidity in FL, but GA is pretty humid as well. And when it rains, it POURS for days and days and days. Seriously. I hated the weather in GA. The cold is not too bad.. but after a couple of weeks of it I was ready for it to be over. Spring is AWFUL. Pollen and bees everywhere. If you have allergies, watch out.

Traffic is insane. Any highway you take will be congested. Especially near the city.

Daily routines happen anywhere, but to me the surroundings make a BIG difference. I lived in Atlanta 4 years, and now am back in South Florida. I personally couldnt take it. But good luck to you Kadie

Quote:
the cliche "you don't know what you have until it's gone" is true. Even though Atlanta is drivable in a day from Florida, it feels world's apart...
Definitely.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:00 AM

3,258 posts, read 8,043,963 times
If you are young and single, now is definitely the time to try something new. If it doesn't work out, it's very easy just to go back in a year or more.

Like I said on my other post, it will give you some perspective. That way you don't have to say "What if" in the future. If you've never lived anywhere else, how can you appreciate what you have right?

I am desperate to go back to Florida myself. I have lived a lot of different places and to me, Florida just feels like home.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:12 AM

16 posts, read 54,392 times
I grew up in Florida (Miami and then Winter Park) and I agree with those that say the biggest adjustment is not being close to the water. On nice summer days, I hate that my only options are to sit in a park or by a pool and roast in the heat. No beaches with lovely sea air. Not even any big lakes (that I've seen anyway). Something about just seeing the water relaxes me.

The pollen here is the stuff of nightmares. I remember the first time I left my house and saw all this green dust covering everything. I had to hose down my car every morning otherwise I wouldn't be able to see well enough to drive.

I, also, couldn't wait to get to away from what I considered "backwards" Floridians, but in Atlanta, I either feel like I'm in a time warp or in some bland world where everyone is the same. It took me some time to get used to the segregation here because I had only really seen segregation along class lines in Florida.

I will be moving as soon as I can. But on the flip side, I have friends here who are transplants from Florida and love it to pieces. The same may be true for you. Give it a try! :-)

Old 08-20-2007, 08:20 PM

527 posts, read 1,685,935 times
I moved from South Florida and I like here very much. I love the four seasons! Spring is gorgeous and the fall is the best. I like a little cold weather...it actually feels like Christmas in December.

I love being near the mountains (I am a mountain girl) I never cared for the beach so it is not a big deal.

I find the people here are very nice.

You can live very well and my standard of living is so much better here.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or