Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 11:12 AM

152 posts, read 261,369 times

Advertisements

is this area safe to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 11:40 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
I see it's right next to MLK Blvd. That brings to mind Chris Rock's joke:

Quote:
If a friend calls you on the telephone and says they're lost on Martin Luther King Boulevard and they want to know what they should do, the best response is "Run!"
All joking aside, I've never been in the area. I'm curious to hear what knowledgeable people say.

Since it's next to the cluster of black colleges, it MIGHT be a good area. The other side of that college cluster is great. It's called Castleberry Hill (east of Northside Drive) and is a very hip and vibrant area with tons of restaurants and bars.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:08 AM

"Since it's next to the cluster of black colleges" that why i thought it might be a decent area....would like to know more.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:39 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMane View Post
"Since it's next to the cluster of black colleges" that why i thought it might be a decent area....would like to know more.
Honestly I've never even heard of it, and that's probably a bad thing more than a good thing. The thing about the AUC(Atlanta University Center where are the HBCU's are located) is that it's bordered by some really rough areas. Spelman in particular borders on a scary downtrodden area.

Castleberry Hill is so so, I don't see the big deal about it. It has a handful of bars and restaurants. The West End is kind of raggedy.

The Bluff (Atlanta) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-05-2011, 12:27 PM

i found this interesting

Atlanta University Center Crime Map Beta - Trulia

Old 09-05-2011, 01:24 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
I see it's right next to MLK Blvd. That brings to mind Chris Rock's joke
You know, I read where a guy had actually researched this and concluded that MLK neighborhoods are not all that bad.

Quote:
His national findings do reveal that most MLK neighborhoods are predominantly African-American, and the residents have average lower incomes compared to residents in other areas with the same percentage of African-American residents. Katzenberger found, too, that in the MLK neighborhoods, the women-to-men ratio is unbalanced. Fourteen percent of households within MLK blockgroups consist of single mothers with children, twice the national percentage of 7%.

But the study also showed that hundreds of MLK streets exist in predominantly white neighborhoods. As many as 20 to 30 of these streets are located in wealthy, exclusively white neighborhoods.

UNT grad student researches MLK Boulevards around the country | www.pegasusnews.com | Dallas/Fort Worth
I wonder if the taxpayers paid for this research?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:17 PM

well in Seattle it spans a large socioeconomic range. parts are gentrified , parts are not. but generally Seattle ghetto is like disneyland and I have never had any serious problems there. PS (Ima white boy). in most cases I have to first assume many stories are overblown, but there is always the chance I'll be proven wrong.

as well, if you look at that heat map, it appears actual crimes are not overly concentrated in that area.

Last edited by BobMane; 09-05-2011 at 07:57 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,388 times
Ashview Heights is presently a downtrodden area with visible prostitution and drug activity. It will be fine for an investment area though. I hear they are planning on revitalizing this area soon though. There is to be a trolley built on Fair ST, that will cut across Atlanta and connect to the belt line. They have started tearning down a lot of houses on that street as they acquire the land. There is a Walmart that has just opened on MLK BLVD. I hear a Star Bucks and Chick- FIL-A will soon follow the Walmart that just opened. I see little sprinkles of vanilla walking around and I'm like, why? I live in the Ashview Heights area so I know that things are churning. If you are looking to buy land or an investment house, do it now before the prices skyrocket. Hope I helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta