Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 06:03 PM

97 posts, read 235,716 times

Advertisements

So house hunting for a rental has to start in earnest for us soon. Ideally, we'd like to live inside the perimeter within a walkable or bike-able mile of a MARTA station (husband will commute to Five Points station for work); I realize however, that a home meeting this and our other requirements (namely price and a good local public elementary school) may not be available for us. Therefore, I'm trying to identify alternatives that will not require my husband to drive a substantial distance for his commute.

(1) Parking at MARTA? Would this be an option? I've noticed that some stations do offer parking. How does this work, and does it work well? When I lived in the Washington, D.C. area, parking was available, but it was pricey, not guaranteed, and you really had to arrive very early to park at most suburban stations.

(2) Bus routes. In some cities, there are "Megabus" type services that people use to commute from suburban depots to downtown locations. IS there anything similar in ATL? If so, again, how does it work and how well does it work?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 06:43 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
1. Marta parking is free for daily parking. It may be at the lots with a parking garage have daily parking fee, if you don't use the machine to valdiate your parking ticket. Only time you pay for parking at Marta, if you park in a the Long Term Lot at certain stations

MARTA > Using MARTA > Parking Information

Most of the stations in town usually get packed early. Same for the parking lots at the outer lines stations.

2. Xpress GA - Xpress Home which is like the MTA Maryland coach bus service.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:55 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
1. Marta parking is free for daily parking. It may be at the lots with a parking garage have daily parking fee, if you don't use the machine to valdiate your parking ticket. Only time you pay for parking at Marta, if you park in a the Long Term Lot at certain stations.
I always thought that was true but every time I part at Lenox they charge me.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, and I've discussed it with the attendants several times but they always say, "Sorry, you owe."

Old 09-10-2011, 06:57 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Driving and parking at a station is your best bet.

MARTA > Schedules And Maps > Rail Schedules or Route

This link will show you where parking is available. Parking is free for daily commuters. Overnight parking cost money and is only available at some stations with parking. Parking is not guaranteed, however in most places and in most cases a space is available from what I have seen. You might want to research one fail safe option for extreme cases. (For example... It isn't a huge deal to drive from the Doraville station to Chamblee station if Doraville is full... Chamblee probably won't be).

I might catch some flak for people for saying this... but MARTA hasn't developed too many enhanced bus options, however there are a few spots to consider. They just started a new line off of the East Line called The "Q." It is a 2-stop Rapid bus extension that ferries commuters to the East Marta line for a transfer and it runs every 10 minutes. It is new and is just being tested... so I can't tell you how convenient or successful it is. It also doesn't get you downtown, but just to the East rail line for a transfer.

We also have a large commuter bus network run by GRTA called Xpress. This will open up many more options for places to live ... especially outside the perimeter. It also opens up many more nicer schools. The problem the Xpress bus network currently has... it doesn't make the commuter quicker in most cases, so most people still prefer to drive. Most people take it to either save money on parking and gas or just to enjoy the extra time to read a book and not stress with driving.

The I-85 Corridor to the Northeast is just about to open a new concept called a "HOT" lane on the freeway. It is a toll lane that is designed to keep traffic moving at least 45 mph and is suppose to help commuter buses keep moving. We will have to see how well the concept works moving into the future. What I can't stress enough... OTP (outside the perimeter) will open you up to more affordable housing within good school districts. ITP (inside the perimter) will either have questionable schools -or- more costly housing where there are good schools.

Here is a route map... Xpress GA - System Map

Also, Gwinnett County Transit and Cobb County Transit run a few similar express routes. There are some routes that focus on Midtown as a destination, some that focus on Downtown as a destination, A couple focus on Perimter Center as a destination, and a few focus on a MARTA rail transfer as a destination

Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 PM

97 posts, read 235,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Also, Gwinnett County Transit and Cobb County Transit run a few similar express routes. There are some routes that focus on Midtown as a destination, some that focus on Downtown as a destination, A couple focus on Perimter Center as a destination, and a few focus on a MARTA rail transfer as a destination
So these are separate from the Xpress service?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:11 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I always thought that was true but every time I part at Lenox they charge me.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, and I've discussed it with the attendants several times but they always say, "Sorry, you owe."

Are you parking at the lot outside or in the deck across the street or at Resurgens Plaza? I know the lot outside is definitely free, though I'm not sure what the deal is with the decks. I always take the #25 or walk to Lenox.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:25 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomBelle View Post
So these are separate from the Xpress service?
Yes, but the GRTA also has a few routes that it contracts out to GCT. They share the same Park and Ride lots sometimes. The buses are different and the fare revenue goes to different places.

In function to the rider... they aren't all that different. The GRTA website posts the CCT and GCT express routes on their website (CCT 100,101, and 102 GCT 101,102, and 103). The main thing to watch out for is the fares are different.

You buy a GCT pass for a GCT bus, a GRTA pass for a GRTA bus and so on....

All systems (CCT, GCT, and GRTA, and MARTA) accept the same fare system card... the Breeze card. The easiest way to use the card on all systems is just to have it preloaded with cash.

However, you can buy trips or passes to load on to the card. You can't buy a MARTA trip and use it on another service or a pass for any other service and used on another.

I haven't actually used the express buses, so hopefully someone will be able to chime in and give you more details.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:41 PM

86 posts, read 164,502 times
Are Marta stations still free to park? I thought that I read on their website that it is $5/day?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:29 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Are Marta stations still free to park? I thought that I read on their website that it is $5/day
Free daily parking. The $5/day is for over night parking. MARTA police patrol all parking lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta