U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-11-2011, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,793 posts, read 2,301,575 times
Reputation: 1449
Poetic. I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
As an outsider looking in, at least on these forums, I've never seen a city or metro area with so many negative comments pouring in from people from other cities and states, about how another city -- not their own -- doesn't measure up. For example I've never seen another city forum where people post so much everyday crime news, as if far worst hasn't happened in other cites, and as if their goal is to simply throw some negativity out there about the city.

After reading a lot of threads in the Atlanta forum, the city seems to be undervalued in several areas where if it was another city that achieved these accomplishments, there would never be such a strong downplay but instead constant positive praise.

I've tried to pinpoint a specific reason to Atlanta as to why these people think the city falls short but any reason could be said about a lot of other cities in the United States. For example people constantly harp on the lack of mass-transit rail in Atlanta, while true that the system could be extended, the Marta system is superior to most and goes to major centers of the city.

The system is built on a superior Heavy Rail foundation which is rare this day in age and is also superior to the new light-rail systems in Dallas, Charlotte, Seattle, Portland etc. Atlanta's is also more extensive and superior to Miami's. One would never say Dallas has a superior system to the D.C. Metro system which is basically the same as Marta and both were built around the same time. In-fact, D.C. Metro could also use work and extensions.

There seems to be an underlying commonality to all these posts, no one can ever seem to give a valid reason specific to Atlanta as to why it falls short in their eyes.

A lot of the negative criticisms said about Atlanta could be said for a lot of other cities that have been around for far longer but are still unable to get out of third tier where Atlanta has quickly jumped to a first tier in many regards.

Truth be told, Atlanta has achieved a lot in a very short amount of time. These accomplishments have been overshadowed with an inundation of negativity which are distorting the truth and causing confusion.

But there seems to be an underlying tone, when sound factual evidence can't be held responsible for shortcomings. Everything seems to point to the fact that Atlanta has a significant Black population as to why people constantly hate on the city and its metro area. There is a goal by some to paint the city as a failure because of this. But these people have made significant contributions and a lot of the positive significant things would not have happened without them including the Olympics.

Recently, the growing music and film industry that's helping to keep the state's unemployment from rising was pioneered by black people from the city and now others are taking notice and the founders are not getting credit. It's only 'arrived' now that everything non-black wants to partake.

I see how 'diversity' is praised and 'things are getting better' if there is a lacking black population or no majority in the city and surrounding counties yet cities like San Francisco or Miami are constantly praised for diversity even if the black population is falling near 0% in San Francisco or Miami is 70% Hispanic or Latino yet called diverse.

I see the lack of support by the surrounding counties in Georgia and the negative perception from other cities in other states due the Atlanta being a Black stronghold. You never see this kind of negativity towards San Francisco with its black population near 0% and falling but still being called 'diverse' and gets constant hype or Los Angeles with its higher unemployment rate, bad tax structure, companies constantly fleeing to other states and its failing movie industry.

For a city and metro with a high percentage of Blacks it still has more than double the Fortune 500 companies in Seattle, more than Dallas and a better university system than both. And Miami has a far more corrupt government, and has far more serious problems with a higher unemployment rate, lack of companies, office space and overall business climate which are the most important piece to making great cities what they are. None of those cities mentioned even have a taller building than Atlanta which is over 1000'ft.

So Atlanta should embrace its accomplishments while fixing what needs to be fixed and continue its can-do attitude and ignore those who want to make its accomplishments insignificant.

 
Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Historic Downtown, Jersey City, NJ
326 posts, read 421,781 times
Reputation: 233
I was interested in what the OP had to say until it became apparent it was another race related post. Then I just thought "here we go again". I have a so called density fetish so I was anticipating something along the lines of sprawl and lack of public transport as reasons Atlanta gets a bad rap. Should be interesting to see what the usual suspects say since the thread was pointed in "that" direction.
 
Old 09-11-2011, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,793 posts, read 2,301,575 times
Reputation: 1449
I love those "let's deny that anything at all in the U.S.A. and especially Atlanta, Georgia has to do with race" posts.

It always reminds me that some folks unfortunately are far too willing to live their whole lives with their heads in the dirt like ostriches.

Thankfully, there are those of us who are conscious who prefer brutal honesty and a willingness to actually solve problems for a change.
 
Old 09-11-2011, 08:27 PM
 
8,687 posts, read 11,929,419 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
As an outsider looking in, at least on these forums, I've never seen a city or metro area with so many negative comments pouring in from people from other cities and states, about how another city -- not their own -- doesn't measure up. For example I've never seen another city forum where people post so much everyday crime news, as if far worst hasn't happened in other cites, and as if their goal is to simply throw some negativity out there about the city.

After reading a lot of threads in the Atlanta forum, the city seems to be undervalued in several areas where if it was another city that achieved these accomplishments, there would never be such a strong downplay but instead constant positive praise.

I've tried to pinpoint a specific reason to Atlanta as to why these people think the city falls short but any reason could be said about a lot of other cities in the United States. For example people constantly harp on the lack of mass-transit rail in Atlanta, while true that the system could be extended, the Marta system is superior to most and goes to major centers of the city.

The system is built on a superior Heavy Rail foundation which is rare this day in age and is also superior to the new light-rail systems in Dallas, Charlotte, Seattle, Portland etc. Atlanta's is also more extensive and superior to Miami's. One would never say Dallas has a superior system to the D.C. Metro system which is basically the same as Marta and both were built around the same time. In-fact, D.C. Metro could also use work and extensions.

There seems to be an underlying commonality to all these posts, no one can ever seem to give a valid reason specific to Atlanta as to why it falls short in their eyes.

A lot of the negative criticisms said about Atlanta could be said for a lot of other cities that have been around for far longer but are still unable to get out of third tier where Atlanta has quickly jumped to a first tier in many regards.

Truth be told, Atlanta has achieved a lot in a very short amount of time. These accomplishments have been overshadowed with an inundation of negativity which are distorting the truth and causing confusion.

But there seems to be an underlying tone, when sound factual evidence can't be held responsible for shortcomings. Everything seems to point to the fact that Atlanta has a significant Black population as to why people constantly hate on the city and its metro area. There is a goal by some to paint the city as a failure because of this. But these people have made significant contributions and a lot of the positive significant things would not have happened without them including the Olympics.

Recently, the growing music and film industry that's helping to keep the state's unemployment from rising was pioneered by black people from the city and now others are taking notice and the founders are not getting credit. It's only 'arrived' now that everything non-black wants to partake.

I see how 'diversity' is praised and 'things are getting better' if there is a lacking black population or no majority in the city and surrounding counties yet cities like San Francisco or Miami are constantly praised for diversity even if the black population is falling near 0% in San Francisco or Miami is 70% Hispanic or Latino yet called diverse.

I see the lack of support by the surrounding counties in Georgia and the negative perception from other cities in other states due the Atlanta being a Black stronghold. You never see this kind of negativity towards San Francisco with its black population near 0% and falling but still being called 'diverse' and gets constant hype or Los Angeles with its higher unemployment rate, bad tax structure, companies constantly fleeing to other states and its failing movie industry.

For a city and metro with a high percentage of Blacks it still has more than double the Fortune 500 companies in Seattle, more than Dallas and a better university system than both. And Miami has a far more corrupt government, and has far more serious problems with a higher unemployment rate, lack of companies, office space and overall business climate which are the most important piece to making great cities what they are. None of those cities mentioned even have a taller building than Atlanta which is over 1000'ft.

So Atlanta should embrace its accomplishments while fixing what needs to be fixed and continue its can-do attitude and ignore those who want to make its accomplishments insignificant.
Spot on. So true.

+1!
 
Old 09-11-2011, 08:30 PM
 
8,687 posts, read 11,929,419 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I love those "let's deny that anything at all in the U.S.A. and especially Atlanta, Georgia has to do with race" posts.

It always reminds me that some folks unfortunately are far too willing to live their whole lives with their heads in the dirt like ostriches.

Thankfully, there are those of us who are conscious who prefer brutal honesty and a willingness to actually solve problems for a change.

Indeed. Well said, Brother Acid.

 
Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Historic Downtown, Jersey City, NJ
326 posts, read 421,781 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I love those "let's deny that anything at all in the U.S.A. and especially Atlanta, Georgia has to do with race" posts.

It always reminds me that some folks unfortunately are far too willing to live their whole lives with their heads in the dirt like ostriches.

Thankfully, there are those of us who are conscious who prefer brutal honesty and a willingness to actually solve problems for a change.
Acidsnake, I hear what you are saying and I agree with you that there are issues. However, from a selfish standpoint it gets tiring seeing the same issues brought up over and over again. That said, hopefully we can get to a point where my future children and yours don't have to deal with such nonsense. Unfortunately in this day and age some folks do still harbor racist feelings. It goes all ways not just white on black. Being open about it is good thing though I think.
 
Old 09-11-2011, 08:51 PM
 
1,498 posts, read 1,651,491 times
Reputation: 539
I don't really think people basing Atlanta for the things you mentioned has to do with race, and I think that's an idiotic argument. If people criticize Atlanta for being too black, they usually just come out and say it, with comments like Atlanta is "the next Detroit" or "ghetto."

I think Atlanta gets more heat for being in the South than anything else. Hollywood, the media, liberal elites--none think very highly of the South.

The city does have a perception problem though, and it should be doing more to address that, as it drags the whole metro down. 2000s rap did a lot of damage, especially the constant associations between the elements of ghetto culture and Atlanta.

Also, Atlanta's name is greater than the actual city. People come here expecting a lot more. While the city is improving, its going to take a little while for it to catch up with such a grandiose name.
 
Old 09-11-2011, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,429 posts, read 2,166,153 times
Reputation: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I don't really think people basing Atlanta for the things you mentioned has to do with race, and I think that's an idiotic argument. If people criticize Atlanta for being too black, they usually just come out and say it, with comments like Atlanta is "the next Detroit" or "ghetto."

I think Atlanta gets more heat for being in the South than anything else. Hollywood, the media, liberal elites--none think very highly of the South.

The city does have a perception problem though, and it should be doing more to address that, as it drags the whole metro down. 2000s rap did a lot of damage, especially the constant associations between the elements of ghetto culture and Atlanta.

Also, Atlanta's name is greater than the actual city. People come here expecting a lot more. While the city is improving, its going to take a little while for it to catch up with such a grandiose name.
Great Post!
 
Old 09-11-2011, 09:25 PM
 
294 posts, read 451,256 times
Reputation: 219
As another outsider, reading many posts/articles about Atlanta, here is what I conclude.

1. Many natives no longer like Atlanta becuase it grew too fast is totally different place than the one they grew up with (LA and Phoenix suffer from the same love/hate native problem)

2. The racial aspect does play a role in Atlanta sometimes negative perception

3. It being in the South. Period. I may love many parts of the South, but some regions of the country despise it, and every city within it--just cause it's in the South. Many ignore how far the South region has come and to telll the truth, some from the rust-belt are very jealous of the growth, massive migration and companies which have relocated to the New South cities. It really bothers some people.

4. In light of what I just said about the jealousy factor, folks from the old, rusted or has-been cities hate what many Atlanta boosters have been prone to do in the past (though it's changing), which is to rub thier achievements other cities faces. Therefore, because of some Atlantan's extreme boosterism, some make it a point to seek out and highlight Atlanta's flaws--instead of praise its accomplishments. For instance, some will be quick to point out the amount of homeless in DT Atlanta. But NY, Philly, Baltimore, and even lil' ol' Providence, RI, and many other cities have LOTs of homeless folks walking around downtown. Homelessness and panhandlers are by no means unique to Atlanta.

Another point: Some say that there are too many Ghetto areas around Atlanta, but I can name you 25 cities in rapid succession where there are ghettos, as bad or far worse that Atlanta's.

In conclusion, Atlanta only has a "negative perception" in the eyes certain groups of people. But in the view of others, Atlanta is great success story. A vibrant, thriving business and cultural center that has much to offer many, but at the same time a turnoff to others.
Now, take out Atlanta and put in most other large cities and one can make the same points, postive or negative, for each.
 
Old 09-11-2011, 09:39 PM
 
4,065 posts, read 1,644,032 times
Reputation: 2112
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I don't really think people basing Atlanta for the things you mentioned has to do with race, and I think that's an idiotic argument. If people criticize Atlanta for being too black, they usually just come out and say it, with comments like Atlanta is "the next Detroit" or "ghetto."

I think Atlanta gets more heat for being in the South than anything else. Hollywood, the media, liberal elites--none think very highly of the South.

The city does have a perception problem though, and it should be doing more to address that, as it drags the whole metro down. 2000s rap did a lot of damage, especially the constant associations between the elements of ghetto culture and Atlanta.

Also, Atlanta's name is greater than the actual city. People come here expecting a lot more. While the city is improving, its going to take a little while for it to catch up with such a grandiose name.
I agree with the above and especially the bolded area. I know as a transplant from a smaller city in the Midwest that I expected more of Atlanta and really the city has not lived up to my expectations, but I got over that and am content with Atlanta for what she is currently. But back then I didn't see Atlanta as better than where I had come from, it many ways it was lacking then and still is now but of course Atlanta is not where I am from and will never be and if one moves here and wants to be happy in a new place they have to accept that.

I also do not feel that Atlanta is particularly "ghetto" at all. I live in what some consider the ghetto and a horrible neighborhood but I have very nice neighbors and I am not afraid of my neighborhood, there aren't any gangs shooting people up every night. Atlanta doesn't really have many ghetto or bad areas to me really, but I don't see too many areas or too many cities as bad. I do think that Atlanta is a junky city and litter filld and that the city just doesn't care about this, but that is my biggest gripe with Atlanta. My husband is from Chicago and I am more afraid of his very well manicured neighborhood where my MIL still lives than in my junk filled neighborhood here in Atlanta. Atlanta doesn't have gang problems like the Midwest and Chicago especially, so is not ghetto at all IMO.

Also, I'm not afraid of black people so that does make a difference. Many people it seems are afraid of groups of black people and will label a place as negative just because of their own fears.

I also see Atlanta as becoming more diverse. People are always surprised that quite a few white people live in in my so-called "ghetto" Atlanta neighborhood. We have extremely cheap houses over here and since they aren't afraid of black people, they aren't afriad to move here either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top