Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:15 PM

18 posts, read 46,291 times

Advertisements

we're debating moving to either austin or atlanta from san francisco. with our growing family and the crazy cost of living in sf, we've identified these two cities as our best options. we've got friends in both cities, but as a native califorian, i've heard that race is still an issue. i've also heard from friends who live in the burbs (roswell, marietta) and friends who live in town (vihi, etc.) who say they would never move to the burbs. any feedback on why ATL would be a good choice would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 12:50 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,718,750 times
I grew up in Atlanta, lived in NYC for 12 years and have now returned to Atlanta to raise my family. I don't know anything about Austin other than what I've read on these boards. Regarding Atlanta, if you want to capture elements of SF in terms of community you will HAVE to live intown. The intown communities are vibrant, diverse, accepting and (mostly) liberal. Mom and Pop coffee shops, boutiques, bookstores, etc. thrive here. The main issue with Atlanta is that commute affects everything. There is no comparison to BART re MARTA so don't even try. It's good for the airport or to a Braves games, that's about it. So...if your work is going to be downtown or in midtown, you're good to go with intown communities. Many are listed and discussed in other posts.
The burbs are very different. Sure you'll get a lot of house for your money, but you have to decide what it's worth. From reading your post, it sounds like you're more intown that burbish. But if you have specific questions, let us know! Race is an issue in certain areas. It's the passing comments that always throw me and remind me that I'm still in the South, even if it's not egregious. Whatever you decide, do your research so you can land in the right community. But welcome!

Old 08-18-2007, 01:59 PM

thanks so much for the feedback. i've been to atlanta quite a few times and always loved the 'hoods intown. i've got friends in virginia highland who love it. and i really liked that neighborhood, too. we've got two children (5 & 1) and one on the way, so i need a good school district, too. any suggestions on your favorite in-town 'hoods. thanks!

Old 08-18-2007, 02:06 PM

My friends who live in VA/HI (Was just looking at houses there today myself!) love Morningside Elemen. but it is extremely overcrowded. I think they just split the districts and a charter school is in the works. Another favorite is the private school in the area (The Children's School). Others live in OakGrove and love the school there as well. Fernbank School is another with an excellent reputation.
There are tons of kids under 6 in the area and a fabulous park (John Howell Park) walking distance from the 'main drag'
I highly suggest coming back for a weekend if you can and talking to a realtor. Am I allowed to recommend one on this board? If this doesn't get deleted, I like The Zac Team. They seem to know the area very well and are honest.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:11 PM

we'll be there in oct, so thank you for the recommendation. i will contact them. again, i really appreciate your feedback. this is one tough decision!

Old 08-18-2007, 07:45 PM

Probably worth it to visit a few schools too while you're here too. Good luck with your decision. Oct. is absolutely beautiful in Atlanta so it'll be a nice time to check it out.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:14 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,608,507 times
Having lived in Austin as a student and visited multiple times as an adult and having lived in Atlanta for 20 years or so, I would pick Austin in a heartbeat.

I love the lakes in Austin and not feeling so landlocked -- Atlanta has the Chattahoochee river but it doesn't really compare to the lakes in Austin.

Austin has far more cultural activities that are accessible -- mostly due to UT. Atlanta has stuff but much of it is very $$$.

If living intown in Atlanta, you need to understand that many people utilize public elementary but not middle or high schools. This may change over time -- but right now that it is the reality.

You might also consider the City of Decatur, where there are many parents who do K-12 public. There are many school systems in Metro Atlanta -- your friends probably live in the burbs because those are the stronger systems. If it was me, I would pick Atlanta over DeKalb (Fernbank and Oak Grove are in DeKalb) because, in my opinion, Atlanta is on the way up in terms of its' schools and DeKalb is heading towards rock bottom -- but hasn't hit it yet. Only time will tell, if it falls more -- its elementary schools are ok, but it does without many extras.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:15 PM

96 posts, read 404,454 times
I concur with sweattea1. There are many different areas-neighborhoods in proper Atlanta.
Decatur is a great option for families and the city schools are awesome. Inman Park and Grant Park are pretty family oriented as well.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 13,305 times
Hi there...I too am considering a move to the Atlanta area. I'm in Reno, NV but grew up in San Jose, CA. I agree with you Bella in that the cost of living is crazy in the West (especially in SF) and our house payment is killing us!! My brother lives in Alpharetta in a beautiful home - it's a freakin' mansion. We, of course, wouldn't be able to afford anything like that. Anyone know how the job market is out there? I am in HR and my husband works for Home Depot. I'm guessing we'd both be okay. We also have a 6 year old son and very concerned about the schools too. They are terrible in NV but my brother says there great in Alpharetta.

Oh, yeah, and what about the humidity and bugs? Do you get used to it? I just found this board and this is my first post. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom....And good luck Bella and congrats on the addition to your family!

Ooogha

Old 08-18-2007, 08:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,774,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Regarding Atlanta, if you want to capture elements of SF in terms of community you will HAVE to live intown. The intown communities are vibrant, diverse, accepting and (mostly) liberal. Mom and Pop coffee shops, boutiques, bookstores, etc. thrive here. The main issue with Atlanta is that commute affects everything. There is no comparison to BART re MARTA so don't even try. It's good for the airport or to a Braves games, that's about it.
I agree with all of the above that sweettea says. MARTA is not an alternative to driving here (at least not an easy one) although we also have the "Flexcar" service intown (I think SF has it, too). Think of Atlanta as more of a "L.A. of the east", regarding the sprawl, traffic, and people's driving habits.

Race isn't an issue in the burbs. Now, if you have dreds, wear your pants down to your knees, and try to do the gangsta strut up and down the street, then yeah, there are plenty of burbs I can think of that wouldn't exactly welcome you with open arms. I somehow doubt this stereotype applies to you, though. There are tons of people of all races as well as mixed-race couples in the burbs here.

Austin is supposedly funkier overall than Atlanta. Not as much sprawl, but it is growing rapidly so years from now some of our problems could be theirs as well. It gets hotter there, and Texas gets more of those mega storms in the Spring/summer, but they have less issues with crime and traffic/smog than we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta