U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:19 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,616,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Ohhhh...I get it. I'm going to stop feeding the troll now.
Call it want u want but Boston should not be mentioned on the same sentence as Atlanta when it comes to diversity

Old 09-14-2011, 12:32 PM

2,585 posts, read 3,728,527 times
Can it compare culturally in Atlanta?

There's way more street life in NYC(obviously), Boston, and San Francisco. I've never been to Seattle so I can't tell you how Atlanta stacks up against it. I think Washington D.C. is a good comparison size wise but culturally(lifestyle AND Arts and Entertainment wise) it is much closer to NYC's level than it is to Atlanta's. Philly is a closer comparison to Atlanta but it still has an edge with its history, arts scene, and livelier downtown.

Do people compare about the same things, or is it mostly other things they are concerned with?

I'm not sure what you're asking but I will say that many people who enjoy Atlanta won't adapt well to New York, San Francisco, or Boston and vise versa.

How young do most people marry, how conservative is it compared to these cities? Would somebody from one of the mentioned cities be in a state of shock?

As a rough figure I'd say most women 24-32 and most men 26-34. I don't know how accurate those figures are but I think they are generally close. There are older singles in the city but they aren't nearly as common as in NYC. There it is perfectly acceptable to be single well into your 40's. Here they figure something is wrong with you if you haven't been married by your mid-30's.

I doubt anybody would be drastically shocked by Atlanta but there are some things that require adjustment. Transit is inferior to just about any large city in the NE.

Do people put high value on education, the arts, literature in Atlanta?

Some do, some don't. Ivy League style education snobbery is less prevalent here but there is a strange private school-obsessed subculture amongst some Atlanta parents. Sometimes I feel they enroll their kids in those schools just so they can put the sticker on their Land Rover. There is clearly a status thing involved a lot of times.

Atlanta is so-so in the arts. We have symphony and opera and the High museum passes for our big art museum. I agree with whoever said it is sterile. It isn't terrible but it's not exceptional either. There are a lot of artists in Atlanta. For some reason though, the overall vibe of Atlanta art strikes me as faddish, and even childish. There's a lot of graffiti inspired work and things of that nature. I've yet to see a work by a local artist that makes me think on a deeper level. It's usually just decoration.

Atlanta has a weak literature scene. Our primary literary event, The Decatur Book Festival, was labor day weekend. I wasn't really impressed. It was mainly just a bunch of vendor tents for authors and mini bookstores. There were discussions as well but I only saw 3 or 4 that would've interested me. I believe Emory has lectures occasionally but they are not well publicized. There are some writers groups who gather in parts of the city.

Atlanta lacks a lot of public art and inexpensive museums when compared to NE cities. There are also less street performers.

Would be curious to get the feel of how Atlanta is, sans urban build up and all.

What do you think the initial reactions would be from somebody moving to Atlanta from those areas.

I couldn't tell you. Some folks love Atlanta. Some folks hate it from the day the set foot in it.

Would somewhere like Austin or Miami be a better choice for somebody from these metros to locate to the southeast from? Or does Atlanta serve that purpose as well.

Consider Austin. I think it has a lot of things going for it. I've never heard any complaints about it other than the heat. It may or may not be better for some people than Atlanta. I'd bet the job market is probably much better there than here. Miami is a cool city but I got the feeling that living there wouldn't be all that cool. Combine the negative aspects of NYC(rudeness, vacuousness, obnoxious drivers) with year round high heat and humidity and I'll pass.

How would somebody make it there that does not like NASCAR, religion, college football, hip hop, country music, rednecks in big trucks? Not trying to bash, but those are stereotypes. What are the options for transplants? Do they have to adapt to the culture? Or is Atlanta of more of an accepting, international global city culture?

Well, in the actual city of Atlanta the only one of those you really have to be concerned with is hip hop. For better or worse, Atlanta doesn't have much of a distinct culture left.

How is the craft beer scene? I have heard good things about Decatur?
How is the bike culture there?

The craft beer scene is burgeoning. There are several bars with huge beer lists(Brick Store and Midway), gastropubs(every time I see that word I involuntarily roll my eyes) and a few specialty beer shops. I've been wanting to get a growler and try things out. And no, Sweetwater 420 isn't a craft beer.

The bike culture here is meh. There are Lance Armstrong wannabees, hipsters on fixies trying to make the scene, and just average people who prefer riding a bike for whatever reason
. There are a lot of oblivious drivers(bad for pedestrians too) and the roads can be rough. In my opinion, the city could definitely be doing a better job of educating drivers, installing more bike lanes and racks, and generally promoting biking as an alternative to driving.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:42 PM

864 posts, read 888,444 times
Yeah, blacks, often educated blacks tend to comment on the fact that Boston is racist.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:20 PM

29,345 posts, read 26,295,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Yeah, blacks, often educated blacks tend to comment on the fact that Boston is racist.
It reminds me of that friend of President Obama who is a famous professor at Harvard and who got arrested and hassled in his own house by the Boston police. Unbelievable. As I recall the officer refused to apologize even after the President called him.

Can you imagine what it would be like if something like that happened here?

Last edited by arjay57; 09-14-2011 at 01:41 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkrodw View Post
The one with a national public school debacle, high taxes, sky high water bills, and nearly dead last in employment in country.
Alright, is this infamous past? This kind if trolling is city vs city worthy.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:24 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,161,481 times
Quote:
The one with a national public school debacle, high taxes, sky high water bills, and nearly dead last in employment in country.
The school scandal is bad but it is being dealt with and those at the center of it have been fired and/or resigned. The water bills are high because we're building a new sewer system. Taxes in the city "are high" in relation to the surrounding area but this is true of pretty much every city in the country, not that our taxes are any where close to being as high as most cities in this country. While the recession has been bad here, there are worse levels of employment trouble to found elsewhere such as Las Vegas or Miami and that doesn't seem to have an effect on people enjoying themselves there.

Actually, I have zero idea why you would feel compelled to bring up such things on a thread such as this other than to derail it?

Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM

47 posts, read 118,035 times
I don't say this about many cities around the world but, Atlanta is a great melting pot of culture and activity. The city is young, its vibrant, its growing, and more good things are in store for it and the area. A significant number of transplants from larger diverse areas have settled in the ATL area bringing the diversity and culture. Due to the adolescence of Atlanta, it is not on the level of NYC, Chicago or LA yet but, it has the potential to be in about 20-30 years. The education institutions are there, the nightlife scene is there, its homegrown music artists and scene is there, world-class shopping/entertainment is there, the culinary scene is there, the sports scene is there (get back the Thrashers or persuade another team to play at Philips!) transportation ports are there (Hartsfield Jackson Airport and MARTA which I I hope continue to flourish because it is not a detrimental agency its, fantastic because it takes hundreds of thousands of vehicles off the road!). Most importantly a huge number of Fortune 500 and 1000 companies are there and, I hope more will see the value of moving to the ATL...government officials need to expand public transport because it spurs business growth! Atlanta and its next biggest rival in the south, Miami are the only two cities in this region with their own soul, flavor and vibe...its unique, I hope I get the chance to move there to help the mobility of the city. It has a lot of great things coming!

Old 09-14-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Alright, is this infamous past? This kind if trolling is city vs city worthy.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:42 PM

538 posts, read 774,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It reminds me of that friend of President Obama who is a famous professor at Harvard and who got arrested and hassled in his own house by the Boston police. Unbelievable. As I recall the officer refused to apologize even after the President called him.

Can you imagine what it would be like if something like that happened here?

The police officer was right in not apologizing.......

Old 09-14-2011, 02:44 PM

2,585 posts, read 3,728,527 times
Hey, another Atlanta thread becomes solely about race!

That hasn't happened in a while
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or