U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:19 AM

864 posts, read 889,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Atlanta isn't a cycling town, but I was referring to recreational mountain biking, which is big here. Atlanta has too many damn hills to be a cycling town,
Basically, the reason I don't bike much. Way to many hills turns it into a endurance test rather then recreational.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 AM

864 posts, read 889,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkrodw View Post

Fact Atlanta is rated dead last in transportation among it's peers.
Can I have source for this? I was unaware that Houston, Dallas, Miami, or Nashville had better rail then we did.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:22 PM

187 posts, read 340,481 times
People! This isnt your grannys Atlanta! PLEASE update yourself!

Atlanta is becoming a HUGE beer town:

Beer Town: Growlers keep on growing | Drink: A beer, wine and spirits blog

And Atlanta is one of a select few American cities to host its own Ciclovía, Spanish for a closing of a street for use by only cyclists. Yep, Atlanta Streets Alive is one of the FEW in the US.

Atlanta Streets Alive! - open streets event June 11 and June 25th!

http://www.atlantabike.org/atlantastreetsalive

http://www.atlantaintownpaper.com/20...ns-june-11-25/

My only conclusion is that some people CHOOSE to live in the past because they are SCARED of the what Atlanta has become. Its pathetic, moronic, and immature.

This is the NEW Atlanta, and its not going ANYWHERE! So get used to it... and if you cant, well DELTA is ready when you are!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:44 AM

29,391 posts, read 26,345,718 times
I love the folks who fix up bikes and have street festivals. Power to the people!

Old 09-17-2011, 10:53 PM

927 posts, read 1,912,765 times
By now the OP probably realizes this, but that first post was a little ridiculous. It was like the further down I got, the more stereotypical it became.

Atlanta has long since become a real live city, with real live city things. To clarify, though, no city in this country can compare to New York, so that should just be taken off the table.

BUT, and a big BUT, having lived in NYC, visited D.C., Boston, and San Fran, I'd say Atlanta has everything you could reasonably want to do with a similar demographic as those cities (youngish, yuppie-ish). Further, with all the cultural offerings NYC has, guess how many times I went to the museum in my two plus years living there? Twice. I appreciate culture and love the arts scene, but in reality the average person isn't going to a different museum every week.

With that, Atlanta has enough of what you want if you're a twenty something "professional" who likes to do stuff. Whether it's bike, do outdoorsy things, soak in the arts scene (our performing arts is continuing to rise), do happy hours, club, lounge, shoot the breeze over a craft beer, whatever, you'd enjoy it.

I absolutely love Atlanta. It's my home and I miss it every day when I'm in NYC (and I love NYC, btw, they're not mutually exclusive) and look forward to going back home eventually.

The difference between Atlanta and those other cities, however, is that it's harder to see our vibrancy. Our communities are spread out, so just cruising down the well-known touristy areas you'd have no idea, for instance, that right behind the Midtown Mile (which is pretty much dead after hours) are people lining up in droves on and around Crescent Ave at the 20 odd restaurants, bars, lounges and clubs that line the streets. Or if you've been told downtown is for the homeless, you'd have no idea just a few blocks east of downtown, people are sweating bullets dancing in Noni's in Old 4th Ward or enjoying the rooftop on Cafe Circa. Driving down Ponce and past the strip malls in Poncey Highland you wouldn't know that hidden underground (literally) is one of the best dance parties you will have at the longstanding grungy yet legendary hipster heaven MJQ.

Get rid of all your pre/mis conceptions about Atlanta's geography. The only thing Southern about it is the availability of some good BBQ, soul food, and a few accents here and there. Every urban need you'd have (other than great public transpo and hyperdensity) is here. If you live in the actual city and find a neighborhood that suits you, you have no reason not to fit in.

It's a city to be discovered. You just have to live here, venture out, meet people, and you will probably be very pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by bizchick86; 09-17-2011 at 11:11 PM..

Old 09-18-2011, 09:55 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,158,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
By now the OP probably realizes this, but that first post was a little ridiculous. It was like the further down I got, the more stereotypical it became.

Atlanta has long since become a real live city, with real live city things. To clarify, though, no city in this country can compare to New York, so that should just be taken off the table.

BUT, and a big BUT, having lived in NYC, visited D.C., Boston, and San Fran, I'd say Atlanta has everything you could reasonably want to do with a similar demographic as those cities (youngish, yuppie-ish). Further, with all the cultural offerings NYC has, guess how many times I went to the museum in my two plus years living there? Twice. I appreciate culture and love the arts scene, but in reality the average person isn't going to a different museum every week.

With that, Atlanta has enough of what you want if you're a twenty something "professional" who likes to do stuff. Whether it's bike, do outdoorsy things, soak in the arts scene (our performing arts is continuing to rise), do happy hours, club, lounge, shoot the breeze over a craft beer, whatever, you'd enjoy it.

I absolutely love Atlanta. It's my home and I miss it every day when I'm in NYC (and I love NYC, btw, they're not mutually exclusive) and look forward to going back home eventually.

The difference between Atlanta and those other cities, however, is that it's harder to see our vibrancy. Our communities are spread out, so just cruising down the well-known touristy areas you'd have no idea, for instance, that right behind the Midtown Mile (which is pretty much dead after hours) are people lining up in droves on and around Crescent Ave at the 20 odd restaurants, bars, lounges and clubs that line the streets. Or if you've been told downtown is for the homeless, you'd have no idea just a few blocks east of downtown, people are sweating bullets dancing in Noni's in Old 4th Ward or enjoying the rooftop on Cafe Circa. Driving down Ponce and past the strip malls in Poncey Highland you wouldn't know that hidden underground (literally) is one of the best dance parties you will have at the longstanding grungy yet legendary hipster heaven MJQ.

Get rid of all your pre/mis conceptions about Atlanta's geography. The only thing Southern about it is the availability of some good BBQ, soul food, and a few accents here and there. Every urban need you'd have (other than great public transpo and hyperdensity) is here. If you live in the actual city and find a neighborhood that suits you, you have no reason not to fit in.

It's a city to be discovered. You just have to live here, venture out, meet people, and you will probably be very pleasantly surprised.
What a wonderful and accurate post! Thank you.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:25 PM

816 posts, read 1,587,938 times
^^ Nice post.

I'd be more interested in the 30's Singles Scenes though. I am early 30s and never married single guy, which I think there is nothing wrong with that in many places, I just wouldn't want to feel *weird* somewhere because of that choice. Which is why I asked things such as the whole marriage thing being in south etc. I don't want to mingle with 18-25 year old girls whatsoever, I'd also *like* to avoid divorcee's with baggage, 26-35 is better range. Boston's nightlife can be a turn off b/c of all those college kids in the 18-25 year old range they seem to have. While not NYC, I like the 30s nightlife there which is seen as completely normal.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:55 PM

I think you could go out somewhere in Atlanta every night of the week and not have to retrace your steps for a long, long time.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Boston has a history of racism, yes. The infamous desegregation issues happened in 1974. Atlanta has a history of racism too, which I would argue go back much further - I don't think I have to cite references for slavery and the KKK. I don't want this thread to devolve into a racial argument, like so many others here. My point was simply that someone from GA calling Boston racist was the pot calling the kettle black.

However - thankfully, both cities are much different today -- which is what the OP inquired about. Neither is perfect, but both are leaps and bounds ahead of where they were even 20 years ago.
Yep. The numbers I've seen show that overall Boston is somewhat more segregated than Atlanta but they are roughly comparable.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:30 PM

32 posts, read 53,103 times
BizChick and BringBackCobain are essentially right on the mark. Think of Atlanta as having a flavor for everyone, you just have to know where to look. Atlanta has as much or as little diversity as you make of it. I've moved ATP from ITP after college and getting married so I've seen it all and enjoyed it all.

One thing, when you do move here, don't be frightened of what you don't know or understand. I've got friends here who are conservative, gun-toting, atheist, gays. I also have liberal, art-buff, religious nuts who attend monster jams. Seriously, Atlanta has a very 'melting-pot' ideology, if you can roll with it, and not get hung up on the differences, you'll have one helluva time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or