U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:04 AM

90 posts, read 94,877 times
Ah ok, I stand corrected. I really never knew much about it and had only heard from word of mouth and the advertisements of the retirement communities gave the impression that it was like The Villages or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 AM

8,687 posts, read 11,908,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
From the northern part of Peachtree City, it takes about 40 minutes to get downtown with no traffic. During peak times that can easily bump up to an hour (the Connector is northbound a nightmare in the morning). It's a pretty long commute either way.

I question your times, but it is not known as a long commute for the many people I know that commute from PTC (and Northern/Central Coweta) to jobs in Downtown Atlanta Proper.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:21 PM

1,648 posts, read 1,587,363 times
PTC is a "Planned Community" similar to Reston, VA. The area has grown up around the original community so you have to be careful to note whether a subdivision is actually in PTC or outside the actual community. The areas that appear to be haphazard are probably not techincally PTC.

Planned community - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-17-2011, 10:54 PM

816 posts, read 367,737 times
I moved to the PTC area 10 years ago. While it's not the greatest place to live as a teenager, I've come to appreciate it. It's hands down the best place to live on the southside.

Great schools, very pretty/clean, close-knit, and a shared sense of common respect and pride for the city. Close enough to the airport.

I'm just worried about Fayetteville, Clayton County is starting to come over and infest it.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:30 AM

2,827 posts, read 2,368,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I question your times, but it is not known as a long commute for the many people I know that commute from PTC (and Northern/Central Coweta) to jobs in Downtown Atlanta Proper.
Walt Banks Road in PTC to downtown Atlanta is calculated at 29.8 miles/43 minutes on google. The tricky thing about PTC is that it's about 15 minutes to get to the interstate and traffic is hellacious in the morning at the interchange. The southern part of the city would be a longer commute.

It's not a fatal flaw to PTC or anything, but that's why it tends to be pretty cheap in comparison to the northside. Most people who land jobs in ATL would have a tough time living in PTC and commuting to their jobs.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:45 AM

8,687 posts, read 11,908,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Walt Banks Road in PTC to downtown Atlanta is calculated at 29.8 miles/43 minutes on google. The tricky thing about PTC is that it's about 15 minutes to get to the interstate and traffic is hellacious in the morning at the interchange. The southern part of the city would be a longer commute.

It's not a fatal flaw to PTC or anything, but that's why it tends to be pretty cheap in comparison to the northside. Most people who land jobs in ATL would have a tough time living in PTC and commuting to their jobs.
I see what you are saying--I'm basing my argument on the plethora of people/associates I know that live in PTC and work Downtown. The key is working in Downtown and points southward. The distance (from PTC) is more than many similar northside areas, but the difference is that the traffic on I-85 and the southern Downtown Connector is much less than northside traffic. The only bottleneck is that I-85 interchange.

The lighter traffic is what makes PTC, Northern/Central Coweta, and other Southern Metro Atlanta Suburbs decent places to live when working in Downtown Atlanta.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:42 AM

25 posts, read 69,843 times
How is Peachtree City for multi-generational families? What activities exist for senior citizens and for preteens?

Old 10-22-2011, 12:31 PM

4,276 posts, read 3,673,681 times
I think Peacthree City is fine for people who really want that small town feel. You'll get it down there.

The thing I don't like about it is that it is so isolated. You can be the same distance from downtown and live in Alpharetta. The reason I would rather do that is because say you need something that is not in Alpharetta, or you just want to go someplace different. You have plenty of options without having to come all the way into town. You can go a couple miles up north to Cumming, you can go a little west into East Cobb, you can go a little south and be in Roswell, you can go a bit west and into Johns Creek. You have easy access to the amenities of a plethora of neighboring areas.

In Peachtree City, if you need or want something not offered by Peachtree City itself, you're in for a long haul. Even if you just need to go to Fayetteville, that's a 15 minute ride or so, isn't it?

Peachtree City feels very isolated to me. If that's the type of thing you are looking for, that's great, it will really deliver for you. I think a lot of people really like that! I just happened to grow up in a town like that, so I like the more metropolitan feel of many different suburbs located right next to each other. I also like having access to Buckhead and midtown without having to pass downtown and that horrible Grady curve first to get there. If you don't think you'd ever have much business in Buckhead or midtown and would rather be closer to Turner field instead, Peachtree City is a good answer.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:09 PM

565 posts, read 1,105,424 times
You really need to spend some time in Peachtree City to get a feel as to whether it is the right place for your family. There are several families there that are multi -generational and they do really well there.It does have a lot to offer .

As far as needing things and having to drive up to Atlanta for this and that other than work, in my opinion, it's not that bad .But it depends if you're used to having everything right at your finger tips or not . That is an issue that has never bothered me because I love living in Peachtree City, It is worth the trade off .

The traffic is way lighter commuting from the southside ,even in the rush hour time periods durring the mornings and evenings.
Newnan is not too far down the road and has alot to offer as well.

Last edited by go falcons; 10-22-2011 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-22-2011, 11:02 PM

8,235 posts, read 6,154,470 times
As a Fayette County native who grew up watching PTC develop and remembers when it didn't have a traffic light, it's hard to be objective -- much less answer the OPs question simply. My grandfather was born on a farm in what is now southern PTC and an uncle sold his farm (cheap) to the developers assembling the land back in the '50s. Those who've been in Fayette County awhile, as well as those who choose to live in Fayette County but NOT in PTC, generally have the same opinion -- "what's the big deal?" The quality of life / schools / services etc is pretty much the same throughout the county (minus the overabundance of rec ameninties which the developer paid to build and the city is now having a hard time maintaining, BTW). Both Tyrone and Fayetteville also have path systems which in fact are connected to PTC's. One of the greatest recent success stories in Fayette County is Piedmont Fayette Hospital and the huge medical community rhat has sprung up around it. But the medical district isn't in PTC - it's in Fayetteville, as is most of the county's retail and all the government, courts, etc. PTC has some upscale shopping / dining and Walmart, Target, etc but for big boxes / chains / departnent stores like Belk, JCPenney or Dillards you have to go to Nenwan or Fayetteville (15 mins either direction).

I will add two things: Living in PTC and commuting to downtown ATL (Marietta Street) 10 years ago was not an issue for me. It took 35-40 minutes average. I don't think the same can be said today. Even so, PTC is one of those places that thrives because of where it is and if people want to live there, they're going to make the commute work no matter how far it is.

AND THEN THERE IS THIS: After 20+ years living in PTC my sister and her husband recently moved to Tuscaloosa, AL. The thing that struck them most -- and right away -- is how much nicer, less materialistic and truly "Southern" their new neighbors are. (All of my sister's new coworkers think she's a Yankee). PTC really is a bubble --- an anomaly -- and nobody has a higher opinion of themselves than ... Peachtree Citians. It's a snobby little Peyton Place to be honest -- a "postcard perfect utopia" that in fact has a very real, sometimes ugly underbelly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta