Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,921 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving to the Atlanta area soon. We are looking into various cities and would like to know what you think about positives and negatives of Loganville.

We are looking to purchase a house ($200,000-$300,000). My husband will be commuting to Lawrenceville for his office. We do not need public transit. We have both lived in rural areas and suburban areas. I prefer a rural area that still has access to shopping, dining, etc. We'd like a home that has a big enough backyard for our 3 year old to run and play.

Can anyone tell us about Loganville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 01:19 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,487,661 times
Loganville is a relatively easy commute to and from Lawrenceville, a commute that was made easier with the recent widening of GA Hwy 20 from a rural two-lane highway to a divided four-lane highway.

Loganville is an affordable suburb with generally low crime and moderately-priced housing that straddles the county line between heavily-developed and domineering Gwinnett County and still largely rural and exurban Walton County.

Even though the western half of Loganville lies in heavily-developed and rapidly-urbanizing super-suburb Gwinnett County, much of the Loganville area has a semi-rural and outer-suburban feel to it, save for the US Hwy 78 corridor which is heavily-congested for much of the day and heavily-developed with suburban big-box retail store-anchored shopping centers.

Except for the heavy traffic and a rising amount of commercial development along US Highway 78 (Loganville's main drag of US Hwy 78 is a major route between East Metro Atlanta and the popular college town of Athens that is home to the state's flagship institution of higher learning at the University of Georgia), Loganville does not necessarily have too many notable negatives IMHO.

The positives are that the schools are generally good, with the Gwinnett County side (westside) of Loganville feeding into highly-rated Grayson High School in the Gwinnett County Public Schools system, and the Walton County side (eastside) of Loganville feeding into Loganville High School in the Walton County school system.

The feeder zone for Loganville High School is a highly-rated but is not as highly-touted and highly-regarded as the feeder zone for Grayson High School because of the reputation of the Gwinnett County Public Schools system of being one of the best urban-suburban public school systems in the entire nation.

There is also still a lot of open space (farms and grassy meadows and green fields and heavily-wooded tracts of land) in and around Loganville, which is at the far-eastern edge of Metro Atlanta's advancing wall of notorious outer-suburban developmental sprawl, with there being much more open space on the Walton County side than on the Gwinnett County side.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:02 AM

139 posts, read 231,593 times
What he said ^

I have a standing job offer in Loganville for a company I do a lot of work with, and think about moving there. My oldest is approaching high school, and that's a problem where I currently live. My biggest problem with Loganville is that, IMO, it's a soulless stretch of suburbia with no culture outside of the schools and churches. I'm not sure if we could keep our sanity living there. But, we've gotten used to and love all the goings on in Atlanta - plenty of people don't need that.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:18 PM

268 posts, read 948,440 times
I would choose the Gwinnett side of Loganville as Gwinnett has some of the best schools in the state, While I haven't heard anything bad about Walton counties school system, I just don't think there are to many school systems that can compete with Gwinnett's system, you also have WAY more amenities in Gwinnett compared to Walton which may just now be about to get there first movie theater built in Loganville.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:11 PM

27 posts, read 39,910 times
As a parent with 3 kids in the Gwinnett system...its not all that
my youngest has mild autism..I had to take him out of a 10 and put in an 8 rated school because it was better equipped for his needs...they are trying I guess

My other two? Well my first grader gets E's but he is starting to get bored. So bored that his work is starting to slack off. I try talking to his teacher about making his work more interesting(she already has too many kids to work with)..nothing. So I ask about the gifted program. They tested him, he doesn't qualify but I go have him tested outside the school system. Guess what; superior intellect with ADHD. Now before coming to Georgia we were in Asheville, NC and they tested him, again he had superior scores. He gets straight E's but his teacher is starting to dock for not making effort.

My second grader...very smart but he rushes everything...he also has ADHD His grades are all over the place.

So I am getting them both IEP's , it forces the system to work with my kids individually, to pay attention to their needs so that they reach their full potential.

Last edited by Sjfinger; 01-12-2014 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 07-09-2014, 08:38 AM

226 posts, read 483,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Loganville is a relatively easy commute to and from Lawrenceville, a commute that was made easier with the recent widening of GA Hwy 20 from a rural two-lane highway to a divided four-lane highway.

Loganville is an affordable suburb with generally low crime and moderately-priced housing that straddles the county line between heavily-developed and domineering Gwinnett County and still largely rural and exurban Walton County.

Even though the western half of Loganville lies in heavily-developed and rapidly-urbanizing super-suburb Gwinnett County, much of the Loganville area has a semi-rural and outer-suburban feel to it, save for the US Hwy 78 corridor which is heavily-congested for much of the day and heavily-developed with suburban big-box retail store-anchored shopping centers.

Except for the heavy traffic and a rising amount of commercial development along US Highway 78 (Loganville's main drag of US Hwy 78 is a major route between East Metro Atlanta and the popular college town of Athens that is home to the state's flagship institution of higher learning at the University of Georgia), Loganville does not necessarily have too many notable negatives IMHO.

The positives are that the schools are generally good, with the Gwinnett County side (westside) of Loganville feeding into highly-rated Grayson High School in the Gwinnett County Public Schools system, and the Walton County side (eastside) of Loganville feeding into Loganville High School in the Walton County school system.

The feeder zone for Loganville High School is a highly-rated but is not as highly-touted and highly-regarded as the feeder zone for Grayson High School because of the reputation of the Gwinnett County Public Schools system of being one of the best urban-suburban public school systems in the entire nation.

There is also still a lot of open space (farms and grassy meadows and green fields and heavily-wooded tracts of land) in and around Loganville, which is at the far-eastern edge of Metro Atlanta's advancing wall of notorious outer-suburban developmental sprawl, with there being much more open space on the Walton County side than on the Gwinnett County side.
Just want to thank this post for really laying it out like no one else has done....This reall give us a feel as to what location in loganville to start looking. thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta