Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:49 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,054 times

Advertisements

New Orleans has Muffalettas, BBQ Shrimp, Gumbo & Beignets
Philadelphia has the Cheesesteaks and hogies.
New York has the NY Hotdog and NY Style pizza.
Chicago has the Chicago dog, Deep dish pizza and Italian Beef
Baltimore - Crabcakes.
San Diego - The Oyster shot
Boston - Clam Chowder
Washington DC - The Half Smoke
and so on...

I want to know what the people around Atlanta are eating, what the favorite foods are that are unique to Atlanta (or Georgia), and please tell what your favorite restaurants in town are:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 07:53 PM

I LOVE eating pizza from Felini's. I also love burgers from The Vortex. I LOVE Gladys' Chicken & Waffles. And I'm a big fan of Waffle House's waffles!

Not sure who else knows about the Scrambled Dog (home is Columbus, GA), but that is one of the greatest things to have ever happened to a hot dog!!!

I think if Atlanta invest in allowing more street vendors to sell hotdogs in places where people ACTUALLY walk (like Stone Mountain, Piedmont, Near World of Coke, and Atlantic Station) and have those vendors start selling Scrambled Dogs, that would quickly catch on as a famous Georgia brand thing...

Old 09-17-2011, 11:16 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,218 times
Hot wings! I only recently realized BBQ was not germane to Atlanta, we just adopted it from our various Southern neighbors.

HOWEVER, our street food is certainly the hot wing/fried fish places. Give me a third mild, another third of lemon pepper, and round it off with some honey bbq wings and fries from American Deli and I'm done.

I'd like to convince myself that soul food is more unique to Atlanta than most places, but soul food really is an overall Southern taste (mac n' cheese, fried chicken, etc). With that, I think our claim to food fame really are the hot wings. And if I can find a special with fried tilapia or whiting on the side, then I'm really done

Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Good old fashioned Southern, IMO. You can go high-end (Blue Ridge Grill), mid-range (Colonnade), or low-end (Evans' Fine Foods) in this town.
I met the film critic and actor Rex Reed a couple of years ago at the Colonnade; he said that he came to Atlanta twice a year for two reasons: To see his dear friend Libby Whittemore (chanteuse and former owner of Libby's Cabaret) and to eat at the Colonnade. He added that Southern food of that quality simply didn't exist in NYC.

Colonnade's Home Page

Old 09-18-2011, 08:16 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,256 times
Atlanta doesn't really have a signature dish that's associated with the city--we're more like Miami, Houston, Dallas, LA, Seattle, Phoenix, etc in that regard.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Atlanta doesn't really have a signature dish that's associated with the city--we're more like Miami, Houston, Dallas, LA, Seattle, Phoenix, etc in that regard.
The question isn't whether we have one or not. We all know we don't. The question is what CAN Atlanta mold into it's signature dish...

Old 09-18-2011, 09:51 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Good old fashioned Southern, IMO. You can go high-end (Blue Ridge Grill), mid-range (Colonnade), or low-end (Evans' Fine Foods) in this town.
I met the film critic and actor Rex Reed a couple of years ago at the Colonnade; he said that he came to Atlanta twice a year for two reasons: To see his dear friend Libby Whittemore (chanteuse and former owner of Libby's Cabaret) and to eat at the Colonnade. He added that Southern food of that quality simply didn't exist in NYC.

Colonnade's Home Page
This!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:52 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,095 times
Atlanta signature dish is soul food

Old 09-18-2011, 09:58 AM

461 posts, read 1,068,663 times
I think Delia's Chicken Sausage could be a contender.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:14 AM

876 posts, read 2,277,703 times
Such a broad topic and so much cover. I just am pointing out places I have been to in the last few years. I don't eat out much, so I am excluding some things to keep it more current.

I do like Waffle House for breakfast but for breakfast biscuits, Martin's wins. Martin's is an Atlanta chain, but only has several restaurants total in the suburbs. Martin's isn't open for dinner.

Reread the original and editing my post ... [oops, removed the foreign cusine comments]

I need to try a southern restaurant out sometime soon again as I haven't been to one in ages (I don't count Cracker Barrel).

What are some good BBQ places? - That cuisine is somewhat southern. I am not current on the good 'cue places.

Last edited by SW30303; 09-18-2011 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta