U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:39 AM

3,396 posts, read 4,073,092 times

Advertisements

Commuter rail is desperately needed for metro Atlanta. The insistence on just expanding heavy rail subways is great for closer-in communities, but it doesn't help the outer Forsyth/Gwinnett/Cobb to downtown commuters. Major metros all over the world, even the densely-packed ones, have major commuter rail lines to serve the suburbanites and exburbanites. Lines extending to Woodstock, Cumming, Fayetteville, Lovejoy, Villa Rica - multiple sides, multiple angles. I would even argue it would be cheaper and more profitable.

IMO, heavy rail/subway is great for < 15 miles distances. Personally, I would never take a 'subway' from, say, Lawrenceville to downtown Atlanta for commuting. It's inefficient with too many stops. Commuter rail would serve a great outer-burb population and significantly reduce the traffic coming into the suburbs / I-285.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 11:19 AM

9,913 posts, read 14,646,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Off Windy Hill Road. I know it's a ridiculously long road, but that's all I remember. As for my relatives and girlfriend I know they both live in Marietta proper, not sure about the job interview, though it was with Cobb County DFCS. My problem is with the fact that I have to take both 285 and 75. There was an accident right off the exit ramp. My interview began at 11:00, I was out by 12:30, but with the accident I was actually late picking my kid up from school at 2:30.
Ah, There's your problem. We never use the interstates during prime time.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:17 PM

15,076 posts, read 9,818,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
IMO, heavy rail/subway is great for < 15 miles distances. Personally, I would never take a 'subway' from, say, Lawrenceville to downtown Atlanta for commuting. It's inefficient with too many stops. Commuter rail would serve a great outer-burb population and significantly reduce the traffic coming into the suburbs / I-285.
I'm not arguing with you but I'm not sure I understand the difference. MARTA trains run about 60 mph. How fast do commuter rail lines go?

Regarding the number of stops, I wonder if you could deal with that by having express lines and locals.

If the present north line is extended, will there be stops at the the major GA400 interchanges?

I still you have to look at these stops on the north line as destination points as much as points of origin. You've got tons of people heading north to work.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 PM

969 posts, read 1,081,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Commuter rail is desperately needed for metro Atlanta. The insistence on just expanding heavy rail subways is great for closer-in communities, but it doesn't help the outer Forsyth/Gwinnett/Cobb to downtown commuters. Major metros all over the world, even the densely-packed ones, have major commuter rail lines to serve the suburbanites and exburbanites. Lines extending to Woodstock, Cumming, Fayetteville, Lovejoy, Villa Rica - multiple sides, multiple angles. I would even argue it would be cheaper and more profitable.

Please contact the Atlanta Regional Roundtable and let them know you support commuter rail. Posting your thoughts just on here won't get you anywhere... express them to the people who actually make decisions...

Georgia Transportation Investment Act - Atlanta Regional Roundtable (Contact Us Page)

Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,120,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Regarding the number of stops, I wonder if you could deal with that by having express lines and locals.

Can Marta even handle express service?

Has Marta ever had express service on their rails?

Same for their bus service. Since I've lived here, never seen any bus signs with express or limited stops either.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:38 PM

47 posts, read 63,591 times
I did a project on MARTA's Red Line and tinkered with the stations of an ideal express service. I think it could be implemented and it's purpose reinforced if the Line were to be extended to Holcomb Bridge Road or even further to Windward Parkway. Transit fuels growth, an extension to MARTA, a light-rail line to Marietta and a commuter rail line to Lovejoy will be the foundation to an awesome transit system to come in the area. The heavy-rail infrastructure is there. Atlanta's roots are on railroads and why not let the city burgeon with passenger railroads like it once did? They'd revitalize the Gulch!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:46 PM

2,400 posts, read 1,369,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
re: accuracy of the figures, I think they are more or less correct for inbound gate movements; perhaps low by 10-20%. The list sums to 104,000. If you assume the 20 other stations have 5,000 people on average, that would be 244,000--roughly MARTA's rail ridership.

However, I think the 28 other stations aren't going to average quite at 5,000. Some, like Midtown and East Point, are pretty busy. Others, like Garnett and Civic Center, are relative ghost towns, where I'd be surprised if they got 2,000 people per day. So I think the figures might be slightly higher for the top 10.

I really wish MARTA would be more open about this sort of stuff. MARTA should try to make people excited about the system. Tweet stuff like "ridership is up 25% at Lindbergh" or "A record number of people took MARTA to last night's Braves game" or "Food trucks near to Arts Center Station today". There's no shortage of transit advocates in Atlanta who would retweet this sort of stuff and repeat these things to friends/coworkers. MARTA really doesn't do itself any favors when it comes to PR.
That's not a bad idea.

MARTA definitely needs to step up its PR game. IMO it's a very underrated system with service that is usually very reliable, at least far more so than the traffic around here. More people will ride MARTA when they believe that it is better for them.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:36 PM

Hmm...

Quote:
AJC pollster: 51% in early T-SPLOST support is cause for worry | Political Insider

”Typically in tax referendums, the undecided voters more often than not will break strongly against the tax increase. So I’m a little less optimistic that this will actually pass once the time [to] vote comes around….

“I’ve been polling referendums for 25 years, and usually a referendum gets its strongest support at the very start of the campaign, and over time – it’s always easier to flip people into the ‘no’ column. One of the reasons is that people don’t really know about this plan yet. We found that only 30 percent are really familiar with it, and what projects are probably going to be proposed….

“A lot of times once the details become more widely known, then support backs off. I’ve seen sales tax referendums that start out with 57, 58 percent support and at the end of the day they only get 45.

“So 51 is not a great number to be stake out this early.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:56 PM

Well, here's another analysis that says the poll is more positive for the TSPLOST.

New Hope for T-SPLOST?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta