Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 01:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,493 times

Advertisements

Greetings all! My husband and I are ready for a change and have started considering moving South. We've both been to Atlanta, but haven't spent enough time there to be familiar with the neighborhoods. I've described our situation below and welcome any feedback you can offer, as we will be visiting in the coming weeks!

1. Budget: Approximately $200-265K
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Single Family House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) The hubby will need to commute to the airport and I'll probably do some consulting from home for at least a year, but would still love to be close to Downtown Atlanta.
4. Children(public school vs. private) None as of yet, but would still love to be in a good school district as we're hoping to have a little one soon.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: We're more urban than suburban, but a mix would be ideal! I'd love to have some shopping and restaurants nearby as well as some good parks and recreation.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not important, we both drive.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Diverse neighborhood, preferably with young professionals (we're in our early 30's) and families. A good sense of community would be great, but safety is priority!

Have started looking at Smyrna, Mableton, Douglasville...have also looked at Peachtree City, but fear I'd be bored out of my skull! Please also share your thoughts on some of the best areas in Southern Atlanta. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 01:39 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
I love Smyrna and budget wise that would work for you. Decatur would be a great place to look but won't fit as easily into your budget

Old 09-19-2011, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 3,493 times
Thanks Lori! What do you love most about Smyrna?

Old 09-19-2011, 01:50 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_New View Post
Thanks Lori! What do you love most about Smyrna?
I love the proximity of Smyrna. Easy access to Downtown, Airport, Buckhead (once you know the back roads), Perimeter, Midtwon, Marietta, Silver Comet, Chattachochee etc.

There are city activities (festivals, concerts etc) and it is small enough you can get to know your Council representantive or get involved if you desire.

There has been an emphasis on parks, walkability and now there is a tree committee!

Old 09-19-2011, 03:20 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Most of Atlanta's educated population (and the jobs that want to hire them) have moved north. This makes it a little harder for people like you to decide what is more important... access to that business base and living environment vs. immediate access to the airport.

Depending on what type of consulting you do locating in an area providing more access north of town will provide you more business opportunity.
However, that begins to lower access to the airport.
For the same reasons Southern Atlanta tends to be poorer and have less business opportunities.

The other ideas to consider is being located near a MARTA station... That can get you to the airport relatively quickly, even during rush hour.

The problem with that... is the nice areas are very limited and you will find yourself priced out of these areas very quickly unless you consider a townhome or condo. You would be looking for anywhere with a short drive to the far stations on the North line, but you can't be too far away... That is the Perimeter business district and it gets very congested.

The other place to consider would be the city of Decatur (proper). Be careful....there are alot of cheap houses nearby that are Decatur (postal), but not decatur (city). Decatur (city) has better schools than Decatur (postal, unincorporated Dekalb Co.). I wouldn't call the school excellent, but I see it as a good "starter school." I might second guess having a child there entire k-12, but I wouldn't feel there is a loss to having them in elementary school there for several years and then move to a better place for grades 4-12.

I highlight Decatur, because in some ways it sounds like it fits you and your demographic. It is more urban, than suburban. Strong sense of community. It attracts alot of singles and young families alike. It has a vibrant little downtown. It is diverse and attracts professionals. Of course... the downside is... fewer affordable single family homes and there are more denser living options (condos, townhomes, etc...), but that is apart of living in a more urban....than suburban environment.

Looking south....
Peachtree City is a diamond in the rough as so to say. It is the only city in Southern Atlanta that really attracts the high education, high wage population like North Fulton, East Cobb, or West/northwest Gwinnett does. However, it is a small quiet area like you mentioned. It does have excellent schools!

The two other places I would check out on the south side that tend to be more... "middle of the road" is Newnan and Henry Co. It is more commuter oriented suburbs with new retail being built nearby, especially in Newnan. I wouldn't describe the schools as spectacular, but I would describe them as solid and might take more care to give my child extra help at home to make sure they end up in the higher tier in school (Gifted/AP classes, etc...).

The other option would be to consider southern Gwinnett or Cobb Co to the northeasteast and northwestwest side of town. (This would include Smyrna as was suggested). It has a bigger commute to the airport, but it is far enough south you can use 285 w/o hitting as much traffic to travel south. There will be better access to the northern businesses, but you will have to battle some very heavy traffic to access them.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:39 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
The above is pretty good, but I think it gets Decatur City Schools completely wrong. They are 100% IB, 100% charter schools. Very well-funded and progressive. Very multicultural.

If you want your kid's school to gloss over evolution or global warming, you should probably send them elsewhere. But for urban, progressive folk they are the best around.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,359 times
If your husband works at the airport, I would recommend Peachtree City in Fayette or somewhere close to there (good schools and family friendly). Smyrna is also a good runner up. The City of Decatur area is nice, but most of it is not within your price range you mention. I would definitely recommend renting first. Good luck in your search!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times
Peachtree City.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,710 times
There are currently 60 single family homes priced under $275k in 30030 (City of Decatur). They're not going to be the biggest and the best homes, some will be foreclosures and short sales, some will be unrenovated, some will just be tiny, etc. But with 60 to choose from, you could probably find at least one that you'd like.

Decatur is (in my totally biased opinion) the best part of Atlanta. It's a liberal college town 15 minutes east of Downtown. It has a wonderful small town vibe with progressive values. It also has a MARTA rail station in the middle of town that can get you to the airport pretty easily (Decatur is on the E/W line so you have to transfer to the N/S line, but it's much better and quicker than taking the highway).

Here are some web sites for more details about Decatur:

City of Decatur : Home - Official web site for the city
City of Decatur : Tourism - City sponsored site for visitors with lots of info about activities
The Decatur Minute - the city's blog
Decatur Metro - great Decatur news blog

Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 PM

64 posts, read 215,011 times
you should look into Newnan GA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta