U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 09-20-2011, 07:20 PM

2,706 posts, read 2,030,832 times
Great response on this one, Cam. Certainly much more grounded in reason than my rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Some pro-life types are opposed to the death penalty on moral and religious grounds, regardless of the facts of the case. I assume this is the category that folks like Pope Benedict and Bishop Tutu fall into. For these people, it's irrelevant who found him guilty, who pronounced the death sentence, or who upheld it. In this view, executing Troy Davis is evil, full stop.

Others believe that black men, especially those who can't afford private counsel, historically have not received equal protection in the criminal justice system, and that's a civil rights issue. This group is presumably concerned that Troy Davis is just the latest victim of this system, and therefore, the fact that the system found him guilty and sentenced him to death isn't particularly relevant (or surprising).

Personally, I'm okay with the death penalty in principle, but I believe it should only be exercised when there is an overwhelming preponderance of the evidence against the accused. The absence of physical evidence linking Davis to the crime should rule that out, in my opinion (other evidence may be sufficient to sustain a lesser sentence, up to and including life without parole). In my view, too, the fact that Davis was convicted and sentenced is irrelevant -- I think the sentencing guidelines don't meet sufficiently rigorous evidentiary standards.

There are lots of reasons to disagree with any or all of these views, but I don't think any of them are "presumptuous."

Unread 09-20-2011, 07:27 PM

560 posts, read 217,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Is it a requirement that you have to be a black defendant who killed a white person for the "anti-death penalty" crowd to take up your case? Just sayin'
Congrats on penning one of the all-time most ignorant posts on this forum. Not only is it not a "requirement," there's another high-profile case right now that involves a white man accused of murdering a black man.

Story
Petition

Maybe do a little readin' and learnin'? Just sayin'.

Unread 09-20-2011, 07:31 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,574,512 times
Wasn't the weapon that killed the cop, the same weapon that Troy Davis shot another guy with earlier that day?

I don't know anymore. He has had numerous appeals and none have seen to overturn the verdict so it is what it is.

Unread 09-20-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Wasn't the weapon that killed the cop, the same weapon that Troy Davis shot another guy with earlier that day?
From what I read, it was the same caliber, but the ballistics expert couldn't say definitively that it was the same gun. They didn't recover the murder weapon.

Unread 09-20-2011, 07:51 PM

2,034 posts, read 2,348,731 times
I haven't followed the Troy Davis case for the most part and it's been a while since I dealt with appellate procedure, but I think I can shed at least some light. The jury is the trier of fact in a criminal case and they've found him guilty. An appeal is not designed to retry the case. An appellate court only looks at whether the person had a fair trial and whether there were any procedural errors. Presumably they've found none in this case. The lack of physical evidence or the witness recantations are irrelevant. This went down in 1989 long before juries had access to CSI and the (specious) notion that criminal cases must contain a mountain of physical evidence. They don't. Dozens of people have been executed with very little physical evidence. Sometimes withou even having a body. Further, people recant testimony at a surprisingly high rate. I'd be curious as to who these witnesses are, typically witnesses against criminals are criminals themselves and thus of questionable validity. But again, their recantations are irrelevant. If Davis is ruled to have received a fair trial, and given the number of appeals he's had that seems to be so, then the courts really have nothing else to say.

Unread 09-20-2011, 07:58 PM

538 posts, read 393,509 times
Quote:
Congrats on penning one of the all-time most ignorant posts on this forum. Not only is it not a "requirement," there's another high-profile case right now that involves a white man accused of murdering a black man.

Story
Petition

Maybe do a little readin' and learnin'? Just sayin'.
Congrats on penning one of the all-time most ignorant responses on this forum. To compare the Texas case to the national hysteria surrounding the Troy Davis cae is laughable.....the petition you directed me to is started by the "Kids Against the Death Penaly".......not exactly Al Sharpton, Jimmy Carter, Amnesty International stuff there. Just sayin'

Unread 09-20-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Dozens of people have been executed with very little physical evidence.
No doubt. Bet it was even more common in 1950, and more common still in 1850. Aren't we allowed to disagree with this practice?

Unread 09-20-2011, 08:20 PM

2,034 posts, read 2,348,731 times
Quote:
No doubt. Bet it was even more common in 1950, and more common still in 1850. Aren't we allowed to disagree with this practice?
Indubitably, I'm simply stating the facts. But frankly, if we have to rely strictly on DNA or videotaped evidence or some other similar standard there are going to be a lot of criminals walking the street.

Unread 09-20-2011, 08:26 PM

2,706 posts, read 2,030,832 times
Great points. Thankfully, that's why we Americans have the right to protest.

Just because the "law is the law" with regards to certain legal procedures...doesn't make it the right law..or even law a grounded in morality & righteousness. Otherwise, there will still be heinous practices like poll taxes.

Quote:

Unread 09-20-2011, 08:26 PM

12,605 posts, read 7,205,652 times
Here are links to the federal judge's extremely detailed review of the case in 2010. Warning, it's 112 pages!

http://www.gasd.uscourts.gov/pdf/409cv00130_92part1.pdf

http://www.gasd.uscourts.gov/pdf/409cv00130_92part2.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta