U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,007 times

Advertisements

I'm a black male, 24, straight, etc. And I'm used to having a lot of friends here in NC. How would I go about making friends with other black males that are straight. (I feel I need to emphasize this because of the large gay black male population) People to go to sporting events, clubs, hanging out, etc. Nothing against the gays but I just feel more comfortable socializing with the straights. I plan on moving to Norcross, or Dunwoody, or Sandy Springs and any other place out in Gwinnett County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:51 PM

876 posts, read 1,176,540 times
As a younger newcomer, I would try researching interests on MeetUp.com if you are not into hobbies that are considered social. If you like sports or church, you can find plenty of people who are probably similar to you. A lot of it depends on what you like, then you go from there meeting people.

As for specific clubs you might like, it depends on where you plan on living as we have clubs for different people all over the place. You can probably find the ones you like more easily after you move here.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:23 PM

4,688 posts, read 3,551,190 times
Church, volunteer, professional organizations, happy hour, festivals, sport bars

Old 09-20-2011, 07:36 PM

538 posts, read 470,283 times
So you're homophobic and don't want to hang around white folks....welcome to the ATL dude...you're gonna fit right in....LOL

Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 PM

7,732 posts, read 7,402,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
So you're homophobic and don't want to hang around white folks....welcome to the ATL dude...you're gonna fit right in....LOL
How in the world did you gather this from an obviously harmless post by a potential newcomer? Why do you feel the need to constantly stir the pot?

Almost every single post you make is racially polarizing in my opinion, and this particular white guy is absolutely SICK OF IT. Just to go on record here..........

Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
How in the world did you gather this from an obviously harmless post by a potential newcomer? Why do you feel the need to constantly stir the pot?

Almost every single post you make is racially polarizing in my opinion, and this particular white guy is absolutely SICK OF IT. Just to go on record here..........
The OP states unequivocally that he doesn't want to hang around gays or white folks....and I'm the one that is "racially polarizing"......America 2011.....too funny and upside down to be believed.....frankly, I'm SICK OF IT!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:22 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,842,539 times
Quote:
Do you have to work some aspect of race into every one of your posts? Yes, he's clearly homophobic because he enjoys hanging out with straight guys.

Anyway to the OP: it's not like there's anything magical and unique about making friends in Atlanta; you do it there pretty much the same way as you would any other city.

Most of my friends in Atlanta I know from high school or college, which I assume won't be an option for you. I'm out of the state now, so up here I met my girlfriend online and have since made friends with a ton of her friends. Beyond that, I have a great crew of coworkers and we hang out a lot outside of work, but that's not always an option.

I've heard good things about meetup.com, but haven't used it myself.

Oh, I haven't lived in Atlanta for a few years so I'm not sure if they still do it, but I remember the Atlanta Brewing Company (ABC) used to have their brewery somewhere 14th street by the connector (I think) and a few times a week they would have beer tastings. If I remember correctly $6 got you 6 drinks and you got to keep the pint glass. It attracts a huge crowd and should be a pretty decent way of meeting people.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
The OP states unequivocally that he doesn't want to hang around gays or white folks....and I'm the one that is "racially polarizing"......America 2011.....too funny and upside down to be believed.....frankly, I'm SICK OF IT!
Fake strawman, and total FAIL.

He NEVER said he didn't want to hang out around white guys, he was asking a serious, allowed question here about where he could go to meet people he is comfortable with. Why are you so threatened by this?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Fake strawman, and total FAIL.

He NEVER said he didn't want to hang out around white guys, he was asking a serious, allowed question here about where he could go to meet people he is comfortable with. Why are you so threatened by this?
Dude, this is what he said:

"How would I go about making friends with other black males that are straight."

So the OP specifically states that he wants to hang around with straight, black males...but your reading is that he wants to hang around white guys? I've got to see your grade from college in Logic 101..... So to you its OK for blacks to only want to hang around other blacks that they "feel comfortable with". I would be howling with laughter if some straight white guy started a thread that essentially said "hey, I'm moving to the ATL and I'm only comfortable hangin' out with straight white males, where's the best places for me to go".....the outrage in the responses could be heard all the way to Stone Mountain.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Dude, this is what he said:

"How would I go about making friends with other black males that are straight."

So the OP specifically states that he wants to hang around with straight, black males...but your reading is that he wants to hang around white guys? I've got to see your grade from college in Logic 101..... So to you its OK for blacks to only want to hang around other blacks that they "feel comfortable with". I would be howling with laughter if some straight white guy started a thread that essentially said "hey, I'm moving to the ATL and I'm only comfortable hangin' out with straight white males, where's the best places for me to go".....the outrage in the responses could be heard all the way to Stone Mountain.
No it would not, and it has been asked in the past many, many times.

Just like it's allowed for people to ask questions in regards to "where the neighborhoods are that are majority ______ that we would feel comfortable in?"

That is until race-baiting is introduced, which seems to be your entire reason for posting here. You aren't fooling anyone with this crap.

In my opinion, the majority of your posts are nothing less than poison to this forum, and I suspect that is your objective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta