U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:40 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,975,324 times

Advertisements

Not harsh enough probably..............Great though........Get them outside and off the computer games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 AM

13,148 posts, read 20,731,948 times
I personally find all billboards an affront to my sensibilities, but I particularly don't like these.

Why not show overweight adults with a message about breaking the cycle? Where there are fat children, there are usually fat parents.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:08 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,813,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I personally find all billboards an affront to my sensibilities, but I particularly don't like these.

Why not show overweight adults with a message about breaking the cycle? Where there are fat children, there are usually fat parents.
The commercials do a great job of showing that it's a cycle. The reasons these billboards focus on kids is, I believe, twofold. First, the entire campaign is sponsored by Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, so obviously their focus is on children. But also because while most people have a very hard time making changes to improve their own health, hopefully they will be more motivated by the thought of making changes that will improve the health of their children.

I think this entire campaign is brilliant. I grew up in the 60s/70s and was waaayyy ahead of my time as far as being a fat kid who ate mostly junk/fast food and never exercised. I spent the first 4 decades of my life not knowing how to eat like a human being. Five years ago, I finally changed my lifestyle. I lost 130 lbs. I no longer eat fast food, processed food, soft drinks and rarely eat anything with sugar or white flour. Turns out that not being massively overweight is really easy. I see why so many people think that fat people are stupid or lazy. But that's not really the problem. It's that they simply don't know how to eat like a human being. We are surrounded by "stuff to eat that is not food." Kids in particular have no way of knowing that all that processed stuff is not actually food and will cause them to develop diseases until it finally kills them.

It will take a massive paradigm shift before we, as a culture, start to turn around our obesity and lifestyle disease epidemic. I'm thrilled that CHOA is taking the bull by the horns and directing their message to kids (and hopefully the adults who love them). If we can't do it for ourselves, hopefully we can make the important changes needed for our kids.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:38 AM

5,207 posts, read 6,185,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
The commerical with the young lady and her mother is the best.

Shows how parents try to sugarcoat that their child is becoming overweight.

These ads won't make it no easier for a child to be teased.

The time has come to stop making excuses.
Word up!....I dont thing any humans are born Fat Slobs. Men should not have boobs & I also blame the auto industry & neighboorhoods that REFUSE to build sidewalks. Im looking you Fayetteville & you to Riverdale. Yep...Stop being fat yall...its not sexy. Im laughing at you.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 PM

759 posts, read 1,084,917 times
I've seen the billboards and commercials, and I can understand why some people (particularly the overly indulgent, misinformed or just plain lazy parents of obese children) may find them offensive. But this is an issue the Government actually has a right and need to be involved in, as childhood obesity and the complications associated with it have become a public health crisis. I work in the healthcare industry, and the number of obese children we see on a daily basis has skyrocketed in the past 15 years. The economic toll associated with this epidemic is absolutely staggering. Most of the patients we see with obesity are from poor families and are receiving Medicare/ Medicaid and SSDI as a result of their conditions, and our tax dollars pay for their treatment. Check out this link from a couple years ago: /www.marketwatch.com/story/the-growing-human-and-economic-toll-of-dialysis . Remember, we will be paying that 72K/annum per patient for the rest of their lives, and ESRD is only one of many pathologies related to childhood obesity: Hypertension, CV disease, Pulmonary disorders etc., etc., will only add to the physical and economic toll on all American populations.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:20 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,343,590 times
There is a huge public and government interest in decreasing obesity. These people are eating up our resources! Their morbid obesity leads to diabetes, heart disease and many other physical problems which cost insurance companies and government programs such as medicare and Social Security disability that we (or those of us who pay taxes), are financing.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:22 PM

55,583 posts, read 74,469,498 times
1 in 3 adults is obese 1 in 4 kids are obese.
major source of medical issues in america.
too harsh ??? i dont think so.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:50 AM

296 posts, read 549,916 times
im gonna go for a run...................

Old 09-23-2011, 12:18 PM

29,296 posts, read 26,226,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
I've seen the billboards and commercials, and I can understand why some people (particularly the overly indulgent, misinformed or just plain lazy parents of obese children) may find them offensive. But this is an issue the Government actually has a right and need to be involved in, as childhood obesity and the complications associated with it have become a public health crisis.
I'm concerned about the consequences of obesity, especially when it begins in childhood. I am also in favor of the public being educated about the issues and how we can address them.

However, I have reservations about the government getting too deeply involved. Are we ready to have the government pass judgment on how parents feed their children? Are we ready to have the government pass judgment on whether we are too fat, or whether our children are too fat? Will we and our children have to undergo body mass testing? What are the penalties if you don't pass? Can you be fined or barred from certain occupations? Will certain foods be ruled off limits for you? Can you be ordered to attend a fitness camp or undergo an exercise program? Will you and/or your kids need to wear a monitor that automatically reports your weight to the authorities? Can someone who thinks you're overweight make an official complaint or a citizen's arrest? Will folks who are naturally thin be allowed to eat more or differently than those who are prone to gain weight?

Old 09-23-2011, 12:58 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,813,452 times
These billboards are not sponsored by the government. They are sponsored by Children's Healthcare of Atlanta in order to bring attention to the obesity epidemic that is spreading among our children.

At the same time, if the government (and by extension, the taxpayers) will be footing the bill for health care costs for many of these people, then clearly they do have a significant stake in the situation.

Mostly what people need is education about food and, in many cases of inner city residents, access to real food. Many US cities are food deserts where inner city residents have no access to fruits and veggies but have to live on the highly processed junk foods available at local convenience stores and fast food restaurants. If all you have available is potato chips, McDonalds, candy bars, and sodas, you are going to get fat and you are going to get sick.

What the government really needs to do is stop the agriculture subsidies to corn and soybeans (most of which is stripped down and used in a highly processed form) and begin subsidizing farmers who grow edible produce -- especially organic farmers and those who bring their produce directly to city residents who don't otherwise have access to it.

There's a wonderful non-profit program called Wholesome Wave Wholesome Wave Georgia - wholesomewave-ga-home that works with farmers markets doubling the value of food stamps so that more people can afford to buy fresh fruits and veggies. Many of the farmers markets in Atlanta are part of this program. Wholesome Wave Georgia - wholesomewave-ga-find-us Of course, it's hard for food stamp recipients to find out about this program and could be hard for many of them to get to the farmers markets, but it's a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm concerned about the consequences of obesity, especially when it begins in childhood. I am also in favor of the public being educated about the issues and how we can address them.

However, I have reservations about the government getting too deeply involved. Are we ready to have the government pass judgment on how parents feed their children? Are we ready to have the government pass judgment on whether we are too fat, or whether our children are too fat? Will we and our children have to undergo body mass testing? What are the penalties if you don't pass? Can you be fined or barred from certain occupations? Will certain foods be ruled off limits for you? Can you be ordered to attend a fitness camp or undergo an exercise program? Will you and/or your kids need to wear a monitor that automatically reports your weight to the authorities? Can someone who thinks you're overweight make an official complaint or a citizen's arrest? Will folks who are naturally thin be allowed to eat more or differently than those who are prone to gain weight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or