U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Status: "Speaking gets your voice heard, but think beforehand." (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Norcross, GA. (Metro Atlanta)
3,494 posts, read 3,705,731 times
Reputation: 1423

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Not to mention the European folks keep calling Americans FAT.....
Very true. This is because Eurpeans had it right with their leadership. Better infrastructure (as in infrastructure not centered around the automobile) leads to healthier people. Or, at the very least, is a major contributing factor.

To answer the OP's question. NO, these commercials are not at all too harsh. These people need to wake up and get their families out of this vicious cycle. Get out there and be active!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-25-2011, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
9,913 posts, read 14,668,395 times
Reputation: 2748
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Very true. This is because Eurpeans had it right with their leadership. Better infrastructure (as in infrastructure not centered around the automobile) leads to healthier people. Or, at the very least, is a major contributing factor.

To answer the OP's question. NO, these commercials are not at all too harsh. These people need to wake up and get their families out of this vicious cycle. Get out there and be active!
Many kids these are too busy studying to play. And yet they don't seem to be learning as much as we did.

Maybe all work and no play leads to burnout and disinterest, not success?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Status: "Speaking gets your voice heard, but think beforehand." (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Norcross, GA. (Metro Atlanta)
3,494 posts, read 3,705,731 times
Reputation: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Many kids these are too busy studying to play. And yet they don't seem to be learning as much as we did.

Maybe all work and no play leads to burnout and disinterest, not success?
That may also be a factor. Your brain needs a break after a certain period of time.

However, I must agree that ultimately it is the parental influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2011, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
9,913 posts, read 14,668,395 times
Reputation: 2748
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
That may also be a factor. Your brain needs a break after a certain period of time.

However, I must agree that ultimately it is the parental influence.
I agree. My parents had me reading and doing basic arithmetic before I was in kindergarten (no pre-K in our area in the 60's), so I was well-prepared and interested in learning more. That gave me an advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2011, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Dunwoody)
2,039 posts, read 2,669,351 times
Reputation: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
At the same time, if the government (and by extension, the taxpayers) will be footing the bill for health care costs for many of these people, then clearly they do have a significant stake in the situation.
Tried to rep you, but for some reason it wouldn't let me. I also think that this issue is a matter of national security. A friend of mine who is a recruiter for the military told me that fully 75% of the young people who try to volunteer for the military these days are unfit--they're either overweight or undereducated. That's a chilling statistic. Our military is spread very thin these days and when we fall short of quotas that leaves our homeland undefended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2011, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
9,913 posts, read 14,668,395 times
Reputation: 2748
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Tried to rep you, but for some reason it wouldn't let me. I also think that this issue is a matter of national security. A friend of mine who is a recruiter for the military told me that fully 75% of the young people who try to volunteer for the military these days are unfit--they're either overweight or undereducated. That's a chilling statistic. Our military is spread very thin these days and when we fall short of quotas that leaves our homeland undefended.
Our military is spread very thin, but it isn't small in size at all. I'll leave the conclusions as an exercise for the reader...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 AM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,937 posts, read 5,949,511 times
Reputation: 4853
So everyone here is committed to the lie? Okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 10:21 AM
 
2,222 posts, read 4,157,325 times
Reputation: 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I also think that this issue is a matter of national security. A friend of mine who is a recruiter for the military told me that fully 75% of the young people who try to volunteer for the military these days are unfit--they're either overweight or undereducated. That's a chilling statistic. Our military is spread very thin these days and when we fall short of quotas that leaves our homeland undefended.
This reminds me of a photograph that I was struck by when visiting the World War II museum a few years ago in New Orleans. It was a shot of hundreds of young men all in rows waiting for their physical to join the Army after Pearl Harbor. The men were just wearing khakis - no shirts and there might have been a small handful of them who had even a slight roll. Hundreds of thin (not muscular, thin) young men.... Clearly not what you would see today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 AM
 
2,222 posts, read 4,157,325 times
Reputation: 3210
These commercials promote dialog about childhood obesity and that is a very good thing. As we drive by them with our children in the car it gives us an opportunity to talk about healthy food choices, the negative impact of teasing and what we can all do better as families to provide healthier diets for our kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 10:36 AM
 
Location: ATL
85 posts, read 90,279 times
Reputation: 62
Brutal honesty.

At this point, it might be the only option left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top