U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Status: "Speaking gets your voice heard, but think beforehand." (set 29 days ago)

3,494 posts, read 3,705,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Not to mention the European folks keep calling Americans FAT.....
Very true. This is because Eurpeans had it right with their leadership. Better infrastructure (as in infrastructure not centered around the automobile) leads to healthier people. Or, at the very least, is a major contributing factor.

To answer the OP's question. NO, these commercials are not at all too harsh. These people need to wake up and get their families out of this vicious cycle. Get out there and be active!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 10:01 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,668,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Very true. This is because Eurpeans had it right with their leadership. Better infrastructure (as in infrastructure not centered around the automobile) leads to healthier people. Or, at the very least, is a major contributing factor.

To answer the OP's question. NO, these commercials are not at all too harsh. These people need to wake up and get their families out of this vicious cycle. Get out there and be active!
Many kids these are too busy studying to play. And yet they don't seem to be learning as much as we did.

Maybe all work and no play leads to burnout and disinterest, not success?

Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Status: "Speaking gets your voice heard, but think beforehand." (set 29 days ago)

3,494 posts, read 3,705,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Many kids these are too busy studying to play. And yet they don't seem to be learning as much as we did.

Maybe all work and no play leads to burnout and disinterest, not success?
That may also be a factor. Your brain needs a break after a certain period of time.

However, I must agree that ultimately it is the parental influence.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
That may also be a factor. Your brain needs a break after a certain period of time.

However, I must agree that ultimately it is the parental influence.
I agree. My parents had me reading and doing basic arithmetic before I was in kindergarten (no pre-K in our area in the 60's), so I was well-prepared and interested in learning more. That gave me an advantage.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:33 PM

2,039 posts, read 2,669,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
At the same time, if the government (and by extension, the taxpayers) will be footing the bill for health care costs for many of these people, then clearly they do have a significant stake in the situation.
Tried to rep you, but for some reason it wouldn't let me. I also think that this issue is a matter of national security. A friend of mine who is a recruiter for the military told me that fully 75% of the young people who try to volunteer for the military these days are unfit--they're either overweight or undereducated. That's a chilling statistic. Our military is spread very thin these days and when we fall short of quotas that leaves our homeland undefended.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Tried to rep you, but for some reason it wouldn't let me. I also think that this issue is a matter of national security. A friend of mine who is a recruiter for the military told me that fully 75% of the young people who try to volunteer for the military these days are unfit--they're either overweight or undereducated. That's a chilling statistic. Our military is spread very thin these days and when we fall short of quotas that leaves our homeland undefended.
Our military is spread very thin, but it isn't small in size at all. I'll leave the conclusions as an exercise for the reader...

Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 AM

8,937 posts, read 5,949,511 times
So everyone here is committed to the lie? Okay.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:21 AM

2,222 posts, read 4,157,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I also think that this issue is a matter of national security. A friend of mine who is a recruiter for the military told me that fully 75% of the young people who try to volunteer for the military these days are unfit--they're either overweight or undereducated. That's a chilling statistic. Our military is spread very thin these days and when we fall short of quotas that leaves our homeland undefended.
This reminds me of a photograph that I was struck by when visiting the World War II museum a few years ago in New Orleans. It was a shot of hundreds of young men all in rows waiting for their physical to join the Army after Pearl Harbor. The men were just wearing khakis - no shirts and there might have been a small handful of them who had even a slight roll. Hundreds of thin (not muscular, thin) young men.... Clearly not what you would see today.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 AM

2,222 posts, read 4,157,325 times
These commercials promote dialog about childhood obesity and that is a very good thing. As we drive by them with our children in the car it gives us an opportunity to talk about healthy food choices, the negative impact of teasing and what we can all do better as families to provide healthier diets for our kids.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:36 AM

85 posts, read 90,279 times
Brutal honesty.

At this point, it might be the only option left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta