Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 05:10 AM

6,542 posts, read 12,040,501 times

Advertisements

I'm glad Atlanta is not considered an East Coast city, because I'm actually not a fan of the East Coast (everything from DC/VA and up), mainly because everyone I meet from there is rude and uptight, and I wish they would go back there. In fact, I actually prefer the West Coast over the East Coast (it's the lesser of two evils). The South, which Atlanta is a part of, is it's own area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 09:32 AM

68 posts, read 139,394 times
Ok ok so do yall think that it is a south atlantic city?

Old 11-11-2011, 12:07 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Atlanta is not an east coast city in that most east coast cities can trace its roots to colonial times and Atlanta is antebellum. Also, Atlanta has a cultural all its own. The music scene is very unique even when considered to other southern cities; Nashville or Dallas.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:22 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I know it's southern, but as far as categorizing it as an east coast city, would u agree with that?

We all know NYC, Boston, Philly, Miami are east coast cities.

In a broad sense, would atlanta be considered "east coast"?
I think it would. It's in the eastern time zone. Georgia is a coastal state.

Now, what you have to do first is establish the definition of what an "east coast city" is and then you can establish whether or not Atlanta meets those criteria.

If the criteria are laden with the normal biases...high density in a small footprint, older architecture, massive urban transit network, etc., then I doubt Atlanta qualifies. If a seaport is necessary, then again, doubt Atlanta qualifies.

If being the capital city of one of the 13 original colonies that has an Atlantic coastline, along with being in the eastern time zone, and a center of worldwide, national, and east coast commerce qualifies, and a baseball team in the eastern division of the NL (with other east coast city teams), then I think we qualify.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:23 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
What Neil said. I've always thought of us as an eastern city, although not coastal.

Obviously Georgia is on the east coast and Atlanta is the state capital, so I'd put us in the same category as other inland (but eastern) cities like Burlington, Albany, Springfield, Richmond, Hartford, etc.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:45 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,378 times
interesting post. thought i'd revive it. i think since GA is on the east coast, it's an east coast city. i'd even argue that anything east of the appalachians is an east coast city. geologically, we're on the piedmont, which is the same land mass as philadelphia, washington, baltimore, richmond, raleigh, charlotte, and greenville are on.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:28 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,948 times
No, Atlanta is a southern city. Also, I have never heard anyone before today say Miami was an east cost city, and it sounds ridiculous since it juts out further south than anything else in the US. I'd sooner go along with saying it was part of CARICOM.

Blame it on the Mason Dixon line or the Civil War if you like, but states in the southeastern region of the US are simply considered the south. I know that Florida and Louisiana often wheedle their way out of that classification but they both are in the south as well.

Only states in the northeastern region of the US are considered East Coast. It doesn't make perfect geographical sense, but it is the way it is, like the area considered the midwest is really just mid.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:34 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,662,523 times
Atlanta is not a "coastal" city, but it is an "Eastern" city. As in southeast. It's one of its few drawbacks, as far as I'm concerned, being so far away from the ocean.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:30 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,772 times
Dallas, Austin, Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte..these are all southern cities I'd say.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:43 AM

719 posts, read 1,332,490 times
Umm, I don't consider Miami E. Coast...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta