Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:47 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times

Advertisements

I know it's southern, but as far as categorizing it as an east coast city, would u agree with that?

We all know NYC, Boston, Philly, Miami are east coast cities.

In a broad sense, would atlanta be considered "east coast"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 12:21 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
So the biggest problem I always have is that a lot of people say "East Coast" and really mean the Northeast whilst leaving the Southeast out of the conversation. Both the Northeast and Southeast are collectively the "East Coast".

With that said, Atlanta is too far inland to be considered "East Coast" but it is an "Eastern" city. Our history has also been more in line with Eastern cities as Atlanta started off life as an industrial town. People often forget (or don't know) that this city was never agrarian and was created specifically for industrial pursuits. The city was once dominated by the blue collar railroads, factories, automobile plants, airplane plants, and all of the other associated industries that few today would associate with Atlanta. The difference with this town is that the city started transitioning to a "White Collar" business oriented city in the middle part of the last century thus avoiding the blight and other problems caused by deindustrialization.

All combined, Atlanta has this weird legacy of being similar to cities further north yet being similar to cities that rose in the rest of the so-called Sunbelt in the post industrial age. We're more of a "hybrid city", but most days we're just Atlanta.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:36 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Heck no. Atlanta is always about 5 years behind the northern east coast cities.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post

Old 09-21-2011, 12:56 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post

Old 09-21-2011, 02:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I know it's southern, but as far as categorizing it as an east coast city, would u agree with that?

We all know NYC, Boston, Philly, Miami are east coast cities.

In a broad sense, would atlanta be considered "east coast"?
Categorizing it how? Versus "west coast cities"...? I don't think it fits either mold, frankly.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:01 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
I guess one could consider it an east coast city because it's in the eastern time zone?

Old 09-21-2011, 03:05 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,551 times
It isn't all that far East and isn't on the coast. I think that people should quit trying to make Atlanta something it is not- it isn't New York, or Miami, LA or even Chicago and that is a good thing.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I guess one could consider it an east coast city because it's in the eastern time zone?
I suppose it depends on your frame of mind. In a modern sense, Atlanta I feel is generally seen as being "In the east". People know's its in the South, but not in the same South as Mississippi (well, usually). In Eastern US mindset, I think it is clearly seen as being in the South as our mindset in this part of the country about the country is that we have "The North", "The South", "Cornfields", "Texas", and "California".

Old 09-21-2011, 03:24 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
Atlanta isn't an east coast city b/c:

1. It isn't on the coast (or even within a few hours).

2. What people usually mean by East coast city is the traditional northeastern/mid-atlantic cities such as Boston, NY, Philly, Baltimore and DC. Atlanta isn't really connected to those cities and I'd say it will be decades (if ever) before people think of Atlanta as part of that unit.

Somewhat off topic, but somewhat related: if Raleigh and Charlotte continue to grow at a high rate and they are connected with DC via high speed rail, I wonder if there will come a time when they start to be considered East coast cities (even though they are not on the coast either). If that happens, then maybe with time Atlanta will also be connected and there will be an entire eastern unit running from Boston down to Miami? Although HSR really works best for distances of like 100 to 500 miles. (incidentally, Boston to DC is about 450 miles, Atlanta to DC is about 650).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta