Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:45 AM

85 posts, read 186,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
The views definitley are great. I was on the 26th floor on the south corner, looking downtown. Sitting on the balcony at night was great. I think I had floorplan #9 at 1280west.com.

I've seen some listings online for units there and the prices seem to so low they almost look like scams. Do you know what the HOA fees are like? There's a 1 bedroom on craigslist for $50k, and I see some 2/2s on another site in the $100k area.

Back when I lived there at least (2006 I think) there were washer/dryers on each floor. They accepted a debit card kind of device that you loaded with money.
I have been looking at other units like the Spire, and Metropolis, and now 1280 West. 1280 runs ~$400-$500/mo cheaper, and IMO has some better views.

So far I will give the Metropolis and Spire a few points for a little bit nicer kitchen, although the floor plans are much more open. I personally like having a door in my bedroom as opposed to some half wall that separates the living room from the bedroom(as the Metropolis has).

The view from the Metropolis I'm not impressed with, even though it is the top floor unit on floor 20, it just stares straight at the Spire and viewpoint .

However this unit at 1280 has an AMAZING view, the kitchen seems alright, and I like the hardwood floors in the living room. (it also appears to be floorplan #11)

Granted it *IS* the internet, but there seems to be complaints that alot of renters in 1280 are "trashy hoodrats"?? Have you ever had any issues with residences? I'm a 24 year old Engineer so I want a nice little slice of the skyline like this unit offers, but I don't want to do it just to live next to some rapper or live in a building that is trashed out.

I also heard it is kind of up in "no man's land"..but short of getting a unit at someplace like 1010 Midtown, I can't find a better view, and its only half a mile FROM the bar district(I love walking). I like the proximity of the MARTA station as well, I am just trying to weight all the pros/cons of this place..Like I said so far 1280 seems to be the best value from what I have seen.

Thought/Suggestions? I'd love to hear more from you as a prior tenant.

Last edited by jetter2; 09-22-2011 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
I never had any bad experiences with residents when I was there. I definitely wouldn't call them hood rats. They were mostly young professionals, average age maybe somewhere in the early 30s. I think I was 22 or something when I lived there.

The location may leave a bit to be desired, but I'd hardly call it no man's land. You're an easy walk to a good number of bars/cafes and such. Also you can't get much closer to a MARTA station. There's also a little conveince store downstairs in the lobby, so if you just need some milk and bread or whatever and don't feel like making a trip to the store, you don't even have to leave the building.

There's also a billiards room downstairs with some pool tables and large plasma TVs, which is very nice if you want to have a lot people over and don't want to just hang out in your unit.

Personally I really like the area between Juniper and Piedmont, and between 10th and 14th streets. The only real high rise in that area is Mayfair. There are a handful of mid rises there though.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I never had any bad experiences with residents when I was there. I definitely wouldn't call them hood rats. They were mostly young professionals, average age maybe somewhere in the early 30s. I think I was 22 or something when I lived there.

The location may leave a bit to be desired, but I'd hardly call it no man's land. You're an easy walk to a good number of bars/cafes and such. Also you can't get much closer to a MARTA station. There's also a little conveince store downstairs in the lobby, so if you just need some milk and bread or whatever and don't feel like making a trip to the store, you don't even have to leave the building.

There's also a billiards room downstairs with some pool tables and large plasma TVs, which is very nice if you want to have a lot people over and don't want to just hang out in your unit.

Personally I really like the area between Juniper and Piedmont, and between 10th and 14th streets. The only real high rise in that area is Mayfair. There are a handful of mid rises there though.
Fantastic, that sounds like a great property, I can't wait to check the unit out this weekend. I like the eastern side but I want those floor-ceiling windows that the Mayfair just doesn't offer.

Thanks again for the review, you have really helped me out!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
The biggest thing 1280 has going for it is DaVinci's Pizza downstairs. That place is freaking awesome...under NO circumstances should a Midtowner order from Domino's anymore.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:17 AM

294 posts, read 451,094 times
This recommendation is not a condo but it feels like one. Worth it if you are planning on renting anyway.

Take a look at Windsor at Midtown Luxury Apartments in Atlanta, Georgia - Windsor Communities. Very popular, very walkable. Nicest park in ATL (Piedmont) next door and also very walkable to the popular Crescent, Colony Square, Juniper, and Peachtree entertainment areas along with the Arts Center marta station. Also just 1 mile from Ansley Mall in Midtown for all of your other shopping needs.

Hit me up at michaeljaramillo1@gmail.com if you want me to refer you or if you have any other questions. We just recently moved to ATL this year also and loving it. We too are planing on purchasing a condo in midtown in the near future.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:51 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,230 times
Word of advice: don't base your decision on the view. Views are great, but after a while you get used to it.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:22 AM

I looked at Windsor Midtown and it is quite nice, but I want to be 15+ floors up, and have a view.

Legally, there is no difference between a condo and apartment, except that a condo = an owned apartment.

My favorite thing about this type of build is that the bedroom is separated by walls and a door, unlike the spire or midtown where the bedroom is just divided by a half wall, although they have more floor-ceiling windows.

Remember I am from Dallas where I love sitting on the porch, but I just want a nice view to have to be honest..nothing nicer than enjoying a nice drink over a good view when your 30 floors up.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:19 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInATL2011 View Post
This recommendation is not a condo but it feels like one. Worth it if you are planning on renting anyway.

Take a look at Windsor at Midtown Luxury Apartments in Atlanta, Georgia - Windsor Communities. Very popular, very walkable. Nicest park in ATL (Piedmont) next door and also very walkable to the popular Crescent, Colony Square, Juniper, and Peachtree entertainment areas along with the Arts Center marta station. Also just 1 mile from Ansley Mall in Midtown for all of your other shopping needs.
I looked at a unit there back in 2006 before I moved directly across the street to Colony Park (or Colony Square or something, I forget the exact name, it's the driveway after Mayfair).

It was pretty nice and I liked the courtyard type area in the middle of the complex. Back then it was known as Sterling at the Park or something like that.

Yikes, I just checked out the rents at Windsor. A 541 sq. ft. studio starts at $1150 and if you want an actual 1 bedroom you're going to be starting at $1355 for a small one.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:30 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Apartment complexes in Midtown area typically not very cost effective from what I've seen. You can easily get 1/1s in the Midtown neighborhood area for like $800. A kinda nice one should be a grand. Studios can be found for $600.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta