U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:01 PM

14,882 posts, read 9,619,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
You keep saying that people just need to get used to the hot lines. I think they r used to.it.
The lanes have only been open 3 or 4 days. It's rare to see anything that major involving so many complex factors produce instant and seamless results from Day 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
But that option has been taken off the table thanks to the HOT lanes. From what has been reported, commute times are significantly longer now in the normal lanes, forcing people to leave earlier if they want to get to their destination on time. Therefore, "just stick(ing) with what you've been doing all along" is no longer an option.
I think it's way too early to tell. I checked out the HOT lanes on Monday and very few people were using them. I got in at spots where the other traffic was heavy (e.g., from Indian Trail to Shallowford) and it was a $1.40 well spent.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 PM

4 posts, read 1,151 times
The logic of the exits out of the HOT lanes is exactly the same as the logic used when they dumped 400 traffic on top of I85. We did get used to it by leaving home half an hour earlier. This will require another half hour of commute time. I have driven 35 miles to midtown for 20+ years. They finally made some improvements with the 316 interchange and extending an extra lane past 985, but they have taken back all the time those improvements saved us. Plus they will force many of us to cough up the 10 bucks a day at least some of the time. I ordered one of the stinking peach passes yesterday after spending a total of 2.5 hours on my commute every day this week, even though I was determined not to! There is no keep doing what you were doing. They have intentionally made traffic worse in order to charge more and more to those who don't care how much it costs to get to work, while forcing the rest of the public to sit in traffic longer and longer.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 PM

864 posts, read 393,425 times
I wonder people let drivers coming out of the hotlines into traffic. Seems like there would be some envy there.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:22 PM

4,688 posts, read 3,496,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smshirk View Post
The logic of the exits out of the HOT lanes is exactly the same as the logic used when they dumped 400 traffic on top of I85. We did get used to it by leaving home half an hour earlier. This will require another half hour of commute time. I have driven 35 miles to midtown for 20+ years. They finally made some improvements with the 316 interchange and extending an extra lane past 985, but they have taken back all the time those improvements saved us. Plus they will force many of us to cough up the 10 bucks a day at least some of the time. I ordered one of the stinking peach passes yesterday after spending a total of 2.5 hours on my commute every day this week, even though I was determined not to! There is no keep doing what you were doing. They have intentionally made traffic worse in order to charge more and more to those who don't care how much it costs to get to work, while forcing the rest of the public to sit in traffic longer and longer.
So you will be spending an extra $520 a year to drive. $5520 for the next ten years. You aren't helping the situation by buying those passes.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:38 PM

821 posts, read 1,028,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Nobody has a problem with them adding a new lane. We don't like the fact that they r using a lane that has already been paid for
Actually the lane was painted into existence before the Olympics. I-85 used to 5 continuous lanes of the standard and safer width. They all lost 1 or 2 feet of width to accommodate the HOV.

In fact, 2 of inner lanes of I-85 are only 11 feet wide, with the other 3 being 12' wide (the minimum standard for interstates.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:59 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,809,548 times
For those who haven't seen it:

AJC: Governor Deal lowers HOT lane fees

Old 10-06-2011, 11:02 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,565,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
For those who haven't seen it:

AJC: Governor Deal lowers HOT lane fees
Next week's headline: Governor Deal disbands the HOT lane

wait for it.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:40 PM

From the AJC article:

Quote:
As for lowering the occupancy requirement for a free carpool back to two people, a U.S. Department of Transportation official in the Bush administration who was instrumental in the I-85 HOT lane project, Tyler Duvall, said that a key point in the project was that I-85’s HOV lane was already congested and not performing as it was supposed to.

“The region has got to correct the congestion problem in the HOV lanes regardless of what we're doing here,” Duvall said.
So the Bush administration is behind this minimum 3 per vehicle requirement??? I would have expected a better understanding of vehicular traffic from Republicans.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:12 PM

969 posts, read 1,072,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Next week's headline: Governor Deal disbands the HOT lane

wait for it.
I doubt it. Sorry to upset you, but we already spent $60 million on these HOT lanes and there are plans to build more - including retro-fitting all the current HOV lanes to HOT lanes and building new, barrier separated lanes on I-75/575 in Cobb/Cherokee and I-75 in Henry County. Better get used to them... or start supporting more rail expansion in metro Atlanta. And if you don't like them (or can't find it in you to support rail transit), don't use them and enjoy your traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta