Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:37 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times

Advertisements

Our leaders had no transportation plan so instead they decide to tax people again with ANOTHER TOLL. Mind you the GA 400 ROAD IS PAID FOR AND WE STILL PAY A TOLL!!

Pathetic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 11:46 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
I see them turning 85 into a toll soon

Old 10-03-2011, 04:04 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
I am currently on 85 south. I went from exit 104 to midtown. The cost going south was 55 cent but the traffic was fine. I was doing 75 mph. I did not count one car in the new lane. Not one car from exit 104 to shallowford rd. This is doing the afternoon rush. When I left the city going north on 85 at 3:30pm there were very few people in the hot lane. The cost for the entire trip going on 85 when traffic is bad is around $3.50. I normally do not drive on this side of town during this time period so i dont know how traffic is normally but it was bad. They even said on the radio that traffic on 285 was also effected. I do not see these hot lanes lasting that long. Nobody isn't going to pay close to $20 a week to ride in those lanes.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 9,356 times
Arrow Why are georgians paying to drive?

Think about it....why do we have a gas tax? It is for the maintaining of the roads that should be free to drive on. If everyone would not pay for this lane, they would have to shut it down...since we already pay for the privilege of driving on the roads, why should we pay more to ride in the fast lane....open up ALL the lanes and let the traffic through. Put the big trucks BACK in the 2 right lanes!

Old 10-03-2011, 04:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster View Post
Think about it....why do we have a gas tax? It is for the maintaining of the roads that should be free to drive on. If everyone would not pay for this lane, they would have to shut it down...since we already pay for the privilege of driving on the roads, why should we pay more to ride in the fast lane....open up ALL the lanes and let the traffic through. Put the big trucks BACK in the 2 right lanes!
Georgia has one of the lowest gas taxes in the country:

Gaspricewatch.com - Gas Taxes
The Tax Foundation - State Gasoline Tax Rates, as of January 1, 2011

According to the above site, it's the lowest. 7.5 cents/gallon. Georgia and Alaska (8 cents) are the only single-digit states on the list.

No wonder we have to have toll lanes -- the state doesn't seem interested in using more traditional means for funding roads.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 10-03-2011 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: Removed last sentence ... I figured out the discrepancy. :)

Old 10-03-2011, 08:05 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
I mean, when I read this thread there seem to be a lot of people who are smooth sailing, going 75 mph, and are for some reason supper pissed that the HOT lane is sitting there unused. First World Problems I guess?

I can at least understand the guy on the morning commute who says traffic is now worse. But "there was no traffic in the free lanes and the pay lane was lol empty" is pretty much the most ridiculous complaint you could possibly have about a road.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:04 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Gina Evans says it will take a year to determine whether or not the HOT lanes are a success. That sounds about right.

The paper quotes a guy from the Minnesota DOT who says they've had HOT lanes since 2005 and they are fantastic.

I-85 HOT lane just the beginning *| ajc.com

Old 10-03-2011, 09:16 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Gina Evans says it will take a year to determine whether or not the HOT lanes are a success. That sounds about right.

The paper quotes a guy from the Minnesota DOT who says they've had HOT lanes since 2005 and they are fantastic.

I-85 HOT lane just the beginning *| ajc.com
Sure, but the first HOT lane was on on I-394, and it worked very well because it represented a 50% increase over the same interstate without the lane (two lanes each way plus one reversible lane). The second one is on I-35W south of Minneapolis, I think, but I have no experience driving on that one.

The Twin Cities is a good example for some things, but they also have over 400 active ramp meters. Do you really want to follow their example with that many of those here? I sure don't...

Old 10-04-2011, 04:17 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Georgia has one of the lowest gas taxes in the country:

Gaspricewatch.com - Gas Taxes
The Tax Foundation - State Gasoline Tax Rates, as of January 1, 2011

According to the above site, it's the lowest. 7.5 cents/gallon. Georgia and Alaska (8 cents) are the only single-digit states on the list.

No wonder we have to have toll lanes -- the state doesn't seem interested in using more traditional means for funding roads.
Then why is gasoline considerably cheaper in South Carolina, a good twenty cents cheaper on most occasions?

Old 10-04-2011, 06:03 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
No, its very irrelevant. They don't plan on making money on the weekends when there is no traffic.
what are you talking about?

40 cents per mile when the lane is empty? HELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

no cars = higher price?

I thought this wasnt about making money but about relieving congestion. my bad, how stupid of me to think the government does something for our benefit and not theirs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta