Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times

Advertisements

To the op, believe me you will need winter weather clothing. The winter in Atlanta is great, simply because we don't have continuously brutal weather. This is what makes it exciting. It can get to the 60's not very often, and we have been as low a -12 in January of 1985. The Fall is my favorite with cobalt blue skies and temps in the 70's and NO humidity in late September, to the 40's or 50's in late November, and lows in the 40's actually this coming this weekend, dropping gradually in to the 30's and maybe mid 20's by Thanksgiving. It snowed on Christmas day last year, 3" at my house. You will love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 10:06 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
i can't understand how people can say there is winter here when you have 28F at night and 64 at 1pm... in january. This is not winter.

Low of 43 for the day isn't winter.

Winter is where you have snow on the ground and it doesnt melt for at least a week, at a time.
If you will remember, we had that situation last year as well as the year before.

It's only a taste of winter, and certainly not something which lasts for many weeks, but it's more than you'll ever find in places like southern Florida, and even those small cold snaps have been enough for some of those south Floridans to move back where they came from.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:26 PM

403 posts, read 1,193,538 times
Sounds better than here. We're lucky to have a dozen 40 degree days in a season.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:30 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,852 times
atlanta definitely has 4 seasons However I hate the summer. Its like a big oven outside..even at night and its lingers on and on. Seems like summer would never end. But the fall, winter, and spring are the best times in atlanta

Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
atlanta definitely has 4 seasons However I hate the summer. Its like a big oven outside..even at night and its lingers on and on. Seems like summer would never end. But the fall, winter, and spring are the best times in atlanta
Summer is not going to be any worse than Tampa where the op is coming from. Although we don't get any breeze you might from the ocean.

Also, be prepared to have total withdrawls from being near the water. I don't necessarily need the ocean but I so miss just driving by a lake on occasion. Here you have to make it a destination trip to see water.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:29 PM

403 posts, read 1,193,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Summer is not going to be any worse than Tampa where the op is coming from. Although we don't get any breeze you might from the ocean.
This is very true. I've been taking some of the summer remarks from replies with a grain, given I'm in Tampa. Only place in the US worse is Hawaii. Example, today was 94 with 80 degree dewpoint. Atlanta was 84 degrees with a 65 degree dewpoint. Low tonight for me is 75. You? 61..

Quote:
Also, be prepared to have total withdrawls from being near the water. I don't necessarily need the ocean but I so miss just driving by a lake on occasion. Here you have to make it a destination trip to see water.
Any larger lakes anywhere? I'm not very attached to the water. My 15 month old, however, loves it.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:31 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingGuy View Post
Any larger lakes anywhere? I'm not very attached to the water. My 15 month old, however, loves it.
Georgia Lakeside Resort: Lake Lanier Islands Resort in Georgia

http://www.allatoonalake.org/

Not a lake but your child might like the nature center. http://chattnaturecenter.org/

Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 PM

957 posts, read 3,357,270 times
One thing I like about Atlanta is that there are no seasons that are so extreme and intrusive. I am sure that Phoenix, Dallas, and Vegas summers are just unbearable compared to Atlanta. The winter in Chicago sucks.. you are in a bad mood because your face is frozen from being outside.

As long as the weather is nice 75% of the time like Atlanta... What more can you ask for in terms of weather. I think i will also enjoy Atlanta's winter over its summer. Chicago's summer can get extreme and humid like Atlanta, but Atlanta's summers seem to be consistently in the 90s range.

Next to southern california weather.. I think the weather in Atlanta is definitely up there. If you are coming from the north (NY, Ohio, Virginia, Chicago, etc), Atlanta's weather is an upgrade. If you are moving here from Southern California, Atlanta's weather is a down grade.

Last edited by mrpanda; 09-26-2011 at 06:03 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 05:57 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
My favorite thing about Atlanta's winter season is that it is just long enough that you feel like you got a winter but short enough that it is gone before you get sick and tired of it.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:01 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
My favorite thing about Atlanta's winter season is that it is just long enough that you feel like you got a winter but short enough that it is gone before you get sick and tired of it.
Yup. It's (just barely) enough to reset my yearly clock. Last time I went back to visit parents in January it was -16F in the early morning when I was driving back, and I do miss that. But not as much as I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta