U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 07:42 AM

21 posts, read 30,583 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving out of NYC, preferably to the Atlanta area. We currently live in Brooklyn and as much as we love it, we want better for our two young children. As a mom, I have dreams of them running around in the backyard, having family barbeques, riding our bikes around the neighborhood, etc.
I can somewhat see the house I want to own in my head. I imagine enough space, doesn't have to be huge, just enough space for a family of 4, I would love a nice size walk-in closet, however, and a nice size jacuzzi-type bathtub. MOST IMPORTANTLY, we have to live in good school district, for my kids, and for me to teach.

SO, with that said, here is what I'd love information on.

Budget:
We will most likely have a 200k-250k budget

Employment: I will be a teacher and will not move out of NYC until I land a K-2 teaching job. How is the teacher job retention? I know it's bad in some counties but there has to be ones that aren't so bad. Can you tell me which ones?
My husband is a professional fighter turned personal trainer and he would open a business there. How is the job market for his line of work? He is doing very well at a private gym in Park Slope right now.

House/Condo/Townhome: We prefer a detached house with a garage or two, but we will consider a townhome in a gated community.

Schools: Our girls will be 10 and 7 by the time we move, so good district schools are important.

Suburban/Urban Lifestyle: A mixture of both would be great. But, I'm guessing with my husband's job type we'd want to be near the city. Right?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 AM

29,408 posts, read 26,357,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalQuick View Post
[color=Black]Suburban/Urban Lifestyle: A mixture of both would be great. But, I'm guessing with my husband's job type we'd want to be near the city. Right?[color=Purple][color=Black]
I don't think it really matters too much in a place like metro Atlanta. The city proper only has about 8% of the population and large sections of it have a substantial percentage of folks living below the poverty line. So I'm guessing they would not be in the market for a personal trainer (but who knows?). The city of Atlanta school system is going through some changes and may not be the optimal market for teachers at the moment.

However, many of our suburbs are growing rapidly and bustling with activity. I'd look at Cobb, Gwinnett and Forsyth counties.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:06 AM

32 posts, read 53,111 times
Tough price point anywhere ITP for a detached home, unless you're willing to pay $10k/year in taxes, and that's not a joke, or live in a higher crime rate, lower ranked education area south of I-20. The northern suburbs are the best for raising a family, Cobb has good schools and good prices on detached houses, but has a tougher coummute into/out of the city. Dekalb has some nice areas that might suit your price point, Dunwoody, North Fulton/Sandy Springs would be possible for a townhouse, I'm not a huge fan of Gwinett because towns and areas are in constant flux but there are many nice areas with good schools, and traffic is a bear (though that will be a common theme anywhere in Atlanta).

As for jobs, teaching - anywhere you can find one, but as has been mentioned Atlanta Public School System is going through a tough time on their Accreditation after the "Cheating Scandal". Personal Trainers, I think there are more gyms per capita in Atlanta than anywhere else, just kidding, I have no idea, but there are tons of gyms, everything from big chains to small locals.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,071,404 times
K-2 teaching jobs are hard to come by. You won't be picking, you will be lucky to be picked. Many relocated experienced teachers are reporting being passed over for newly minted teachers because the new teachers are cheaper.

Make sure you understand the salary differential between schools here and in NYC.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:50 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,249,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
K-2 teaching jobs are hard to come by. You won't be picking, you will be lucky to be picked.
There MIGHT be an exception to this in parts of Gwinnett *IF* the job seeker is bi/tri lingual - that last time I heard, there's a shortage of teachers who are multilingual in the schools there. Perhaps living in the Alpharetta area and commuting to the Norcross area where some of these teaching positions might be wouldn't be too bad.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:22 PM

294 posts, read 361,752 times
In my opinion you would like Buckhead a lot. I haven't spent too much time in the suburbs so I am only speaking of what I am familiar with which is within the city limits of Atlanta.

Employment:
Yah right now the economy is tough in Atlanta but also in the entire nation. I did read Atlanta was hiring teachers including early childhood development.

Atl. Public Schools seeks teachers through online job fair - Atlanta Business Chronicle

I see a ton of people always in the streets running, jogging, exercising, etc. everywhere I go in the metro area. However, now I am not an expert, but would imagine more available customers from an urban, younger, more professional, more health conscious populated area. Or maybe theres more customers for him from people who lack motivation but have the disposable income. Either way, Buckhead has money so people who can afford a personal trainer in my opinion. But really can't give you an educated opinion about this, so just guessing.

Budget:
Shouldn't have a problem in Buckhead with your budget, it can be more expensive very easily but not the entire area. Also because of the economy prices have slightly lowered (though much less in Buckhead than the rest of the metro) and there is such a variety of styles, shapes, and types of real estate that you'll be fine. There are also foreclosures and short sales going on in most of the metro that can add to your chances of finding a home within that budget.

House/Condo/Townhome:
You will see a variety of every type in Buckhead - no problem!

Schools:
The Atlanta Public School system is currently fixing their image but as far as I have heard its mainly the south side schools that are struggling. Buckhead schools have a great reputation, especially the private schools.

Suburban/Urban Lifestyle:
I chose Buckhead as my recommendation for you because it is almost a city of its own (has its own skyline and intown "suburban type" neighborhoods around it). I know its lame using wikipedia but it actually does give you a small foundation of info about Buckhead within Atlanta. Buckhead also has Marta heavy rail public transportation stations plus access to I-75, I-85, toll road 400, and not too far from I-285 also.

Buckhead (Atlanta) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Buckhead Alliance: Help Us Make a Difference

I hope that helps a little, either way, I love the Atlanta metro so much I think you will be very happy here no matter where you decide to live.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,301,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalQuick View Post
My husband and I are planning on moving out of NYC, preferably to the Atlanta area. We currently live in Brooklyn and as much as we love it, we want better for our two young children. As a mom, I have dreams of them running around in the backyard, having family barbeques, riding our bikes around the neighborhood, etc.
I can somewhat see the house I want to own in my head. I imagine enough space, doesn't have to be huge, just enough space for a family of 4, I would love a nice size walk-in closet, however, and a nice size jacuzzi-type bathtub. MOST IMPORTANTLY, we have to live in good school district, for my kids, and for me to teach.

SO, with that said, here is what I'd love information on.

Budget:
We will most likely have a 200k-250k budget

Employment: I will be a teacher and will not move out of NYC until I land a K-2 teaching job. How is the teacher job retention? I know it's bad in some counties but there has to be ones that aren't so bad. Can you tell me which ones?
My husband is a professional fighter turned personal trainer and he would open a business there. How is the job market for his line of work? He is doing very well at a private gym in Park Slope right now.

House/Condo/Townhome: We prefer a detached house with a garage or two, but we will consider a townhome in a gated community.

Schools: Our girls will be 10 and 7 by the time we move, so good district schools are important.

Suburban/Urban Lifestyle: A mixture of both would be great. But, I'm guessing with my husband's job type we'd want to be near the city. Right?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. THANKS
Try These:Chamblee,Doraville,Mableton,Norcross,Stockbr idge.
They offer the best as far as cost of living for:less crime vs proximity to city vs education etc,,

Old 09-28-2011, 05:41 AM

32 posts, read 53,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Try These:Chamblee,Doraville,Mableton,Norcross,Stockbr idge.
They offer the best as far as cost of living for:less crime vs proximity to city vs education etc,,

I would avoid Norcross like the plague, it's considered the Mexican Drug Cartel's Trafficking Hub of the SE USA.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:49 AM

2,754 posts, read 9,601,684 times
You should consider Suwanee (Gwinnett county). Great family town with good schools and many activities for kids. Many houses in your price range.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:08 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,349,236 times
Buckhead? Don't think that OP's budget is going to handle a condo there, much less private schools. I would get a teaching job, first and then go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or