Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 05:15 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Only reason i'm looking in that area its to send my kid to northview high school. With hoa fees at 500 plus, forget it. This is the house I want to grow old and die in. when that time comes i don't want to be worrying about an extra 500 a month payment or a witch of a women harassing me that my mailbox is falling over and to get a new one
If it's just one kid, then rent for 4 years if you do not want to deal with a HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 06:10 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
Quote:
Only reason i'm looking in that area its to send my kid to northview high school. With hoa fees at 500 plus, forget it. This is the house I want to grow old and die in. when that time comes i don't want to be worrying about an extra 500 a month payment or a witch of a women harassing me that my mailbox is falling over and to get a new one
$500 per month? Never heard of any that high.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:10 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Are you sure you're getting the right information? $500/year sounds far more realistic than $500/month. Our HOA is $700/year and includes 3 pools, tennis courts, clubhouse, lakes, and all the common area maintenance. $500/month=$6,000/year, which is way more than probably 95+% of the subdivisions in Atlanta.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
I live in a great East Cobb school district in an older HOA-less subdivision. Some of the posts on this thread may lend the impression that you can't avoid an HOA if you want to live in a top suburban school district - or that you have to live on a busy road. This isn't quite true. However, HOA-less subdivisions are fewer, older and the houses are more modest. If you want to live in a brand new or nearly new well appointed home of 3,000 square feet or more, then yes, you'll almost certainly have to tolerate an HOA. But on the other hand, there will be a pool and tennis courts.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:25 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
1 pool 2 tennis Common area Maint (About 2-3 sub/div parties a year) - Alpharetta/South Forsyth $400/Year.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:44 AM

431 posts, read 942,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Are you sure you're getting the right information? $500/year sounds far more realistic than $500/month. Our HOA is $700/year and includes 3 pools, tennis courts, clubhouse, lakes, and all the common area maintenance. $500/month=$6,000/year, which is way more than probably 95+% of the subdivisions in Atlanta.
OH SNAP! I think you are right, I'm from north NJ and our condos hit 500/month which is what I thought they meant on Weichert.com! Thanks, I was starting to get depressed for my move and was wondering how people could afford 800 a month.

The 2 bedroom townhouse I live in now is 250/ month for 1 pool and 2 tennis courts in NJ, which is all the reason I want to get out of here

T-Minus 14 months and counting till the move

Last edited by liamnwk; 09-30-2011 at 02:59 AM..

Old 09-30-2011, 05:35 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
Quote:
OH SNAP! I think you are right, I'm from north NJ and our condos hit 500/month which is what I thought they meant on Weichert.com!
Condo fees are typically much higher than HOA fees. $500/month for a condo doesn't surprise me. But that would be obscene for an HOA fee in anything except a gated golf community. We are paying $750 per year in our swim and tennis community.

Hopefully that makes you feel better.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:41 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Some of the posts on this thread may lend the impression that you can't avoid an HOA if you want to live in a top suburban school district - or that you have to live on a busy road.
The OP asked specifically about the Northview district. Some areas have older communities where there are nice neighborhoods without an HOA. Johns Creek is not such an area. It is a new town with very few older houses, and most of those are along busy roads. Older cities, like Alpharetta and Roswell, will likely have HOA-less communities districted to excellent schools.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:18 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
Fees for a condo in NJ typically cover outside maintenance, such as lawn care and snow removal. They also need to have a large reserve fund for repairs to the exterior such as a roof.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:18 AM

431 posts, read 942,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Fees for a condo in NJ typically cover outside maintenance, such as lawn care and snow removal. They also need to have a large reserve fund for repairs to the exterior such as a roof.
Yup thats why I was getting confused, a house is mostly my property meaning I have to clean the driveway, mow the lawn and general maintenance and couldn't understand when the listing said HOA: $800 as being a NJ'er HOA's are always for condos and paid monthly.

In NJ HOAs for single family homes are very rare as there aren't as many planned communities up here due most of the homes/neighborhoods being very old. At anyrate 800 a year is nothing and isn't a problem and actually want to have it if it helps keep the neighborhood somewhat tidy

Thanks everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta