U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2011, 04:45 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,611,285 times
Reputation: 903

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajohnson View Post
So basically Morehouse is not a good school compared to any other public state school.

So the cost is not worth in your opinion?
Admissions are trying to let anybody in because they are desperate?
So the only definite thing to get out of Morehouse is the black experience?
They have budget issues? for what? and why? with the cost of attendance?
It is not a elite school for
Your opinion is very much needed.

Oh Wow didn't know this.

In my opinion I don't think Morehouse College cannot be compared Georgetown University simply because Morehouse is a private small institution as Georgetown is a big private UNIVERSITY.

But it should be more higher on the liberal art college rank though. much much higher if its the elite college for african american men
I'm not saying it is a bad school. I'm just saying that reputation it has is still positive, but it quickly being whittled away based on the reality of what it actually is. This would concern me if I were to invest the start of my career on which school I choose.

Cost: I think it is very high for the quality of education. Personally, I don't place much emphasis on the black cultural aspect of the education because I feel apsects of this can be found at most institutions and you limit further learning on other cultures. I talk more about this later in this post.

Admissions: It is a small school. Costs are high. They recruit HARD to get people to go there because of the competition for highly qualified minority students. If a black high school senior got a 1200+ sat score, Morehouse has to convince them of why they should go to Morehouse and pay that huge sum when other more academically prestigious schools will likely offer very enticing scholarship packages. You are certainly in a position to negotiate student aid and scholarships packages. There is a lot of competition on the major top 50 universities to get highly qualified black students on campus. You should certainly take advantage of this. You have the bargaining power and I would explore this more.

You certainly can get a quality education at Morehouse, but at the end of the day a Georgetown degree or other top 50 college (National University or Liberal Arts) carries more weight. It is ranked 127 of it's peer liberal arts institutions for a reason. It might be hard to directly compare the two, but Georgetown is ranked very highly among its peer institutions and Morehouse is ranked #127. This of course is just one measure and one ranking source, but it is the most widely cited.

Budget: They don't have a huge endowment like other schools. Georgetown has an endowment of over $1 billion. Morehouse has one of $78 million. I'm not saying Georgetown in cheap. Heck it is more expensive than Morehouse. I'm just saying that Morehouse does not have the financial resources through donors that most other schools has which creates more of the burden of paying the bills coming from tuition. This also limits Morehouse's facilities. I advise going on campus and comparing to other schools and asking yourself 'are you impressed?' The school just is going through a period where the bottom line is emphasized everywhere. This probably isn't much different than other schools, but other schools have their endowments and more donors to pull from to create a competitive advantage.

In my opinion, it is NOT an elite school. It is an average school.

I compare it to other schools because you really have to. I look at the facilities and oppurtunities for students are the state schools and Morehouse's don't compare. At a larger school you'll have all (or most) of the same organizations to join plus nicer facilities and a more diverse population to learn from. To me, the diversity aspect was big. I studied at two schools for undergrad and both, while majority white, had a 40%+ minority and international student body makeup. I learned so much about the world from having a Pakistani roommate and by studying and hearing different student perspectives that I can't imagine the college experience of trying to limit my exposure to those of my own ethnicity. Again, that is just me talking and I understand other people have different views on that.

Like I said there is a portion of the student body that is very serious and they will succeed. I don't soubt your son can be very successful moving forward with a Morehouse degree. I just see many kids on campus with high school resumes thare aren't even close to your son's and I would wonder if that is the environment I'd want him to enter.

I understand the mission of Morehouse and I understand what they are trying to do with the 'Morehouse man' image. The results I see from the school though don't match the lofty build-up they try to sell. Its easy to say you are something but it is much harder to actually live out the qualities that you claim.

 
Old 09-30-2011, 05:00 PM
 
357 posts, read 630,927 times
Reputation: 178
i dont think you can turn down georgetown.... just my opinion though. I know nothing about Morehouse, except for the fact that it has some notable graduates, including MLK and Hermain Cain.
 
Old 09-30-2011, 05:01 PM
 
54 posts, read 163,285 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I'm not saying it is a bad school. I'm just saying that reputation it has is still positive, but it quickly being whittled away based on the reality of what it actually is. This would concern me if I were to invest the start of my career on which school I choose.

Cost: I think it is very high for the quality of education. Personally, I don't place much emphasis on the black cultural aspect of the education because I feel apsects of this can be found at most institutions and you limit further learning on other cultures. I talk more about this later in this post.

Admissions: It is a small school. Costs are high. They recruit HARD to get people to go there because of the competition for highly qualified minority students. If a black high school senior got a 1200+ sat score, Morehouse has to convince them of why they should go to Morehouse and pay that huge sum when other more academically prestigious schools will likely offer very enticing scholarship packages. You are certainly in a position to negotiate student aid and scholarships packages. There is a lot of competition on the major top 50 universities to get highly qualified black students on campus. You should certainly take advantage of this. You have the bargaining power and I would explore this more.

You certainly can get a quality education at Morehouse, but at the end of the day a Georgetown degree or other top 50 college (National University or Liberal Arts) carries more weight. It is ranked 127 of it's peer liberal arts institutions for a reason. It might be hard to directly compare the two, but Georgetown is ranked very highly among its peer institutions and Morehouse is ranked #127. This of course is just one measure and one ranking source, but it is the most widely cited.

Budget: They don't have a huge endowment like other schools. Georgetown has an endowment of over $1 billion. Morehouse has one of $78 million. I'm not saying Georgetown in cheap. Heck it is more expensive than Morehouse. I'm just saying that Morehouse does not have the financial resources through donors that most other schools has which creates more of the burden of paying the bills coming from tuition. This also limits Morehouse's facilities. I advise going on campus and comparing to other schools and asking yourself 'are you impressed?' The school just is going through a period where the bottom line is emphasized everywhere. This probably isn't much different than other schools, but other schools have their endowments and more donors to pull from to create a competitive advantage.

In my opinion, it is NOT an elite school. It is an average school.

I compare it to other schools because you really have to. I look at the facilities and oppurtunities for students are the state schools and Morehouse's don't compare. At a larger school you'll have all (or most) of the same organizations to join plus nicer facilities and a more diverse population to learn from. To me, the diversity aspect was big. I studied at two schools for undergrad and both, while majority white, had a 40%+ minority and international student body makeup. I learned so much about the world from having a Pakistani roommate and by studying and hearing different student perspectives that I can't imagine the college experience of trying to limit my exposure to those of my own ethnicity. Again, that is just me talking and I understand other people have different views on that.

Like I said there is a portion of the student body that is very serious and they will succeed. I don't soubt your son can be very successful moving forward with a Morehouse degree. I just see many kids on campus with high school resumes thare aren't even close to your son's and I would wonder if that is the environment I'd want him to enter.

I understand the mission of Morehouse and I understand what they are trying to do with the 'Morehouse man' image. The results I see from the school though don't match the lofty build-up they try to sell. Its easy to say you are something but it is much harder to actually live out the qualities that you claim.
thank you so much i will take this in consideration and your opinion is greatly appreciated.

We are going to do more research, visit the schools, see what others think around campus and so on. See aid packages and so on.
 
Old 09-30-2011, 06:32 PM
 
Location: 30080
2,124 posts, read 3,392,328 times
Reputation: 1461
*shakes head*
 
Old 09-30-2011, 07:17 PM
 
137 posts, read 207,997 times
Reputation: 128
to the OP

College is not ALL about education, its about allowing a young adult to become themselves, find what their passion is in life, build lifelong friends....its the bird leaving the nest type thing. So with that said, their are UNIQUE experiences of going to Morehouse or any HBCU that you will not find at your PWC. Greek life is magnified, with the presence of the divine 9......homecoming is a national holdiay to some schools, there are step shows, market days, pep rallies, live djs, the olive branch, character building, guest speakes......and they all are put on and attended by people who perhaps your son has not been around in his experiences at a PW high school. Im not for segregation, but there is a mystique and intrigue when you enter an HBCU as a young black man. The nurturing factor is also big, as there are curfews, dress codes, smaller class ratios and other factors that allow students a easier transition in some cases. The motto it takes a village to raise a child is put into effect at a school like Morehouse. I just dont want you to rule it out based upon stats from a book comparing which school is better. Stats may not equate into what may be good for your son or for you.
 
Old 09-30-2011, 08:34 PM
 
876 posts, read 1,883,746 times
Reputation: 259
I don't know either college that well, but if future networking for work means something to your son, go with Georgetown. Networking really does matter to most students and helps more at a larger university than it does a smaller one. (and this matters in a good economy or a bad one, at that).

Visiting the schools probably would answer most of your own concerns.
Anyway, good luck in your decision.
 
Old 09-30-2011, 08:38 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,611,285 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
*shakes head*
Good post.

Care to elaborate?
 
Old 09-30-2011, 08:47 PM
 
Location: 30080
2,124 posts, read 3,392,328 times
Reputation: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
I don't know either college that well, but if future networking for work means something to your son, go with Georgetown. Networking really does matter to most students and helps more at a larger university than it does a smaller one. (and this matters in a good economy or a bad one, at that).

Visiting the schools probably would answer most of your own concerns.
Anyway, good luck in your decision.
This is a STUPID logic though. You assume that Morehouse doesn't have networking just as good as Georgetown. People used to tell me that same silly mess before I went to Howard and I ended up seeing firsthand that the same recruiters and corporations that went across town to Georgetown came RIGHT to Howard to hire the same as they did at Georgetown. There are just as many Howard alumni in high places to reach back for students as there were at Georgetown. But if I listened to folks like this ^^^ I never would've found that out on my own.

People don't seem to understand that for some reason. And people seem to think that you're more likely to succeed at one of these larger universities when they have a higher rate for students taking FILLER majors than smaller universities do. Plus, one thing I got that I definitely WOULDN'T have gotten at Georgetown is the teaching of REAL African American history since they don't put that in the PWC schoolbooks...neither in public school nor in college. But hey, whatever works. Some people seriously need to get over the silly generalizations though.

The ironic part of this whole argument is that our regional manager is a Spelman grad and ill give you 3 guesses as to which school the most of the IT Techs and Engineers under her attended. I tell ya, people are funny. And honestly, it doesnt seem as if the OP really wanted the kid to go to Morehouse to begin with. Especially to be swayed THAT easily. If you want to know real numbers aside from the often skewed statistics, do some research on F-500 companies and HBCU vs PWC grads and look at blacks in positions of power and see where they came from. It'll make this argument even more silly than it already seems.
 
Old 09-30-2011, 08:49 PM
 
Location: 30080
2,124 posts, read 3,392,328 times
Reputation: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Good post.

Care to elaborate?
You wouldn't be able to comprehend it even if I did. That much is already clear...
 
Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 PM
 
2,407 posts, read 2,611,285 times
Reputation: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
You wouldn't be able to comprehend it even if I did. That much is already clear...
Ahhh yes. The I can't form a logical counter, so I'll play the I think I'm smarter than you card. Well played.

Have you spent much time on the Morehouse campus? Are you/have you been affiliated with the school in any way? I am curious because you seem to be jumping to defense just because it is a HBCU. That doesn't lend much credibility to your statements. I would love to hear some detailed examples of how I am wrong in any of my statements about the school.

Interesting comments about 2/3 of the way through the article.
Revisiting the Value of Elite Colleges - NYTimes.com

Last edited by gtcorndog; 09-30-2011 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top