U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:25 PM

207 posts, read 216,150 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why some people get so crazy whenever somebody questions the mighty Morehouse. It's strange.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:41 AM

137 posts, read 122,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
This is a STUPID logic though. You assume that Morehouse doesn't have networking just as good as Georgetown. People used to tell me that same silly mess before I went to Howard and I ended up seeing firsthand that the same recruiters and corporations that went across town to Georgetown came RIGHT to Howard to hire the same as they did at Georgetown. There are just as many Howard alumni in high places to reach back for students as there were at Georgetown. But if I listened to folks like this ^^^ I never would've found that out on my own.

People don't seem to understand that for some reason. And people seem to think that you're more likely to succeed at one of these larger universities when they have a higher rate for students taking FILLER majors than smaller universities do. Plus, one thing I got that I definitely WOULDN'T have gotten at Georgetown is the teaching of REAL African American history since they don't put that in the PWC schoolbooks...neither in public school nor in college. But hey, whatever works. Some people seriously need to get over the silly generalizations though.

The ironic part of this whole argument is that our regional manager is a Spelman grad and ill give you 3 guesses as to which school the most of the IT Techs and Engineers under her attended. I tell ya, people are funny. And honestly, it doesnt seem as if the OP really wanted the kid to go to Morehouse to begin with. Especially to be swayed THAT easily. If you want to know real numbers aside from the often skewed statistics, do some research on F-500 companies and HBCU vs PWC grads and look at blacks in positions of power and see where they came from. It'll make this argument even more silly than it already seems.
wow brownhornet......i went to howard to........DREW Hall.........lol, ANYWAY, i agree that African American history is taught with more regard at an HBCU.....and if only I knew then what I know now AFRICAN DIASPORA would have been a class that I would have taken. It gives u a sense of self identification.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:31 AM

17,363 posts, read 7,782,139 times
Wow Morehouse is 43k! At that price range I'd have serious reservations. I think your sons background won't be much of a problem there. The Black elite still send their kids there and come from similar environments. Can't comment about the education quality first hand but I know they probably have the best alumni networking among HBCUs. I've witnessed that first hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajohnson View Post
Hey city-data, My name is Diana Johnson from Dallas Texas. My son is about to do early admissions this year for Morehouse College. I would love for him to have that HBCU experience. But I have had many negative comments and perceptions of the College.

So my question is to City-Data. What do you think of Morehouse College? Is a good school. Does it have quality education for the cost? And so on

He comes from a school which is 80 percent white. And has been that way since daycare. I would love for him to experience black culture at a university But would it be a cultural shock? Is the education subpar with the cost 43,000 and direct 37,000.

He is applying for Georgetown as well, I talk to admissions at Georgetown and he has a very great chance and possibly a huge scholarship. Even though we do have a college fund for him, this a huge plus.

His composite score last year as a junior was a 27 on Act and sat score was a 2100 something. He is taking it again in February so he can get higher.

thanks everybody

Old 10-01-2011, 07:39 AM

No school can guarantee a high paying job. As mentioned before Morehouse has a great alumni network. Also when recruiters are looking for Black talent they tend to focus their recruiting on Howard, Morehouse and Spellman. I'll throw in FAMU for business.

The question needs to be asked is how much is the black experience worth to your son?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajohnson View Post
thanks for all your assessments. They are very very greatly appreciated.

He and I wants him to go to Morehouse, but before I spend any money on a Morehouse's education.
I want to know will he have a guaranteed high paying job. Does the school has good connections and networks well. Does the school has a good reputation around the Atlanta area. {another part of his decision he loves Atlanta}.

The costs of both schools is not a factor at all. I just want the education to be at that value.

Also I heard that ivy league schools loves a morehouse man. How true is this? Because graduate school is in the future ass well (He wants to be a lawyer and has been interning at my cousin law firm in Dallas).

Im sorry for all the questions. I just want to stir my son in the right direction for his future and educational choices.

He also loves Georgetown (not so much Washington Dc) and the funny thing, we were looking at Howard University as well. And they are ranked higher on Newsweek.

Other than crime anything else negative about the school.

So far reviews has been good. and thank you so much again

Old 10-01-2011, 07:45 AM

If one can afford to spend 43k a year so their kid can find themselves you'd have a point but it seems the OP is concerned about her sons jobs prospects. Rightfully so IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantanative83 View Post
to the OP

College is not ALL about education, its about allowing a young adult to become themselves, find what their passion is in life, build lifelong friends....its the bird leaving the nest type thing. So with that said, their are UNIQUE experiences of going to Morehouse or any HBCU that you will not find at your PWC. Greek life is magnified, with the presence of the divine 9......homecoming is a national holdiay to some schools, there are step shows, market days, pep rallies, live djs, the olive branch, character building, guest speakes......and they all are put on and attended by people who perhaps your son has not been around in his experiences at a PW high school. Im not for segregation, but there is a mystique and intrigue when you enter an HBCU as a young black man. The nurturing factor is also big, as there are curfews, dress codes, smaller class ratios and other factors that allow students a easier transition in some cases. The motto it takes a village to raise a child is put into effect at a school like Morehouse. I just dont want you to rule it out based upon stats from a book comparing which school is better. Stats may not equate into what may be good for your son or for you.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:58 AM

Why are you getting so defensive? The post you responded to brought up a legitimate point and he admits that he is not familiar with either school.

Georgetown has a great network. I think their ex-dean at the business school had some big connect at Citi. They were sending about 20 or so kids to that firm alone every year. In general Georgetown has a big presence on Wall Street.

I agree with you though about Howard's recruiting they have no problem attracting the top firms. I went to a business school where the average GMAT score is about 250 points higher than Howard's. Howard's recruiting beat my school's recruiting hands down.

You should try and educate instead of being antagonistic. I know this is the Internet but who knows someone may read some valuable info to them on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
This is a STUPID logic though. You assume that Morehouse doesn't have networking just as good as Georgetown. People used to tell me that same silly mess before I went to Howard and I ended up seeing firsthand that the same recruiters and corporations that went across town to Georgetown came RIGHT to Howard to hire the same as they did at Georgetown. There are just as many Howard alumni in high places to reach back for students as there were at Georgetown. But if I listened to folks like this ^^^ I never would've found that out on my own.

People don't seem to understand that for some reason. And people seem to think that you're more likely to succeed at one of these larger universities when they have a higher rate for students taking FILLER majors than smaller universities do. Plus, one thing I got that I definitely WOULDN'T have gotten at Georgetown is the teaching of REAL African American history since they don't put that in the PWC schoolbooks...neither in public school nor in college. But hey, whatever works. Some people seriously need to get over the silly generalizations though.

The ironic part of this whole argument is that our regional manager is a Spelman grad and ill give you 3 guesses as to which school the most of the IT Techs and Engineers under her attended. I tell ya, people are funny. And honestly, it doesnt seem as if the OP really wanted the kid to go to Morehouse to begin with. Especially to be swayed THAT easily. If you want to know real numbers aside from the often skewed statistics, do some research on F-500 companies and HBCU vs PWC grads and look at blacks in positions of power and see where they came from. It'll make this argument even more silly than it already seems.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:32 AM

1,602 posts, read 2,031,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Why are you getting so defensive? The post you responded to brought up a legitimate point and he admits that he is not familiar with either school.

Georgetown has a great network. I think their ex-dean at the business school had some big connect at Citi. They were sending about 20 or so kids to that firm alone every year. In general Georgetown has a big presence on Wall Street.

I agree with you though about Howard's recruiting they have no problem attracting the top firms. I went to a business school where the average GMAT score is about 250 points higher than Howard's. Howard's recruiting beat my school's recruiting hands down.

You should try and educate instead of being antagonistic. I know this is the Internet but who knows someone may read some valuable info to them on here.
You must not come around here often. With this dude, you cant really give logical responses. He's one of those that disses everything black including the colleges and universities. In his opinion, an HBCU will never produce anyone as successful as a "Georgia Tech" or a "Georgetown." I see right through the line of reasoning he gives especially when everytime there's a topic like this he's one of those in there screaming "nooo dont send em to a black school."

My whole point was whether it be Morehouse or Georgetown if the kid has the ambition to succeed then he WILL. I get sick of the whole "if its white then it must be right" logic on here. Especially when there are probably just as many successful grads from Morehouse than there are Georgetown. I mean I could start a comparison list but it wouldn't do any good...comments like "why would it be important for them to be around all blacks?" Wake up dude...

Old 10-01-2011, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 9,308 times
My husband and brother went to Morehouse along with several other family members. Morehouse has a very strong alumni network. Georgetown in is a great school also but his experience will not the be the same. I've never heard any family nor my husband speak of any regret in going to Morehouse, they are all very proud Morehouse men and will quickly let you know this. My husband's brother is also a very successful lawyer who graduated from Morehouse. Morehouse produces more blacks that go on to Ivy league graduate school than any other institution. They also get more black men in medical school than any other institution. I went to Spelman so I heard these stats very often :-)

With any school, there is NO such thing as a guaranteed job. I think it depends on what he chooses to study. I remember reading an article in USA today about a Harvard student that couldn't find a job. She majored in something like sociology or history where finding a job is probably going to be difficult no matter what. Make sure he chooses a major that will lead to something lucrative like engineering, pre-med, pre-dental, etc. He needs to make sure he does an internship every summer, is active in school organizations, and maintains a high GPA so he can get into a top honor society like Phi Beta Kappa.

I would really recommend your son go visit both campuses and speak with students about their experience there. He needs to find the black student association at Georgetown and ask them about their experience. I went to an all white graduate school and the difference is very noticeable. It's just a fact of life that some whites are still not comfortable being around black people. One of my professors said MLK day was not a holiday in his opinion and made us come to class anytime that holiday came around. Thats just an example of some of the stuff I had to deal with and this was just 3 years ago. So just make sure he does a thorough review of wherever he chooses to go. The best thing to do is to find people who ACTUALLY graduated from these schools and get their opinion if you ask me.

Just my two cents.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:39 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,326,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveisyou View Post
The best thing to do is to find people who ACTUALLY graduated from these schools and get their opinion if you ask me.
I think you see the results in this thread when you ask these people. They get defensive and make non-nonsensical statements like "There are just as many successful people from Morehouse as from Georgetown."

I think more value can be added by talking to people who have had experiences at both or college/career counselors. You don't get the biased input of the "I love my alma mater" crowd who would defend their school regardless of the discussion topic. I've worked with Morehouse and another university in Atlanta and can tell you that the educational experiences and educational resources aren't even close to equal. If you place more value on "getting the black perspective" than getting the best education, perhaps Morehouse would jump up the list. Otherwise, it is just an average small liberal arts school.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:41 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,326,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveisyou View Post
I went to an all white graduate school and the difference is very noticeable. It's just a fact of life that some whites are still not comfortable being around black people.
Where did you go? Bob Jones? All White? Really?

So you are advocating getting an equal as biased education from a HBCU?

All white or all black seem equally destructive if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta