U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 01:43 PM

535 posts, read 691,920 times

Advertisements

As was stated earlier I think it depends on how comfortable your son is with his own skin. If he doesn't know who he is, I would say go to Morehouse. There he will be connected with intelligent and confident black men who are striving for success. On top of that, Atlanta in general is an amazing city for Black people. I know for me coming from UGA then working in Atlanta and seeing so many Black professionals has been absolutely inspiring.

Too often we are depicted in the media as a homogeneous "ghetto" mass, whose artistic taste consist of booty shaking and rap music. Yet this is far from the truth. Just like white people or any other group of people, we have classless people, but we also have those with class. Unfortunately, the image of the"ghetto fabulous/ wannabie hood-rat" (a minority population within a minority) eclipses the larger sucessful middle to upper class who are striving for success just like anyone else.

Going to Morehouse (and Atlanta) would help to reaffirm who he is as a black man. Although, I did extremely well at Georgia and left an indelible mark on campus, I think I could have done much more and been better supported if I had gone to Morehouse. At the end of the day however, it depends on the experience that he creates. If you want a good four years then regardless of where he goes he must make the most of it.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:47 PM

226 posts, read 357,656 times
Look at any objective statistic. Georgetown is a better school by any measure. If the "black experience" is that important, then go to Morehouse. Otherwise, it'd be stupid to decline Georgetown for Morehouse.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Where did you go? Bob Jones? All White? Really?

So you are advocating getting an equal as biased education from a HBCU?

All white or all black seem equally destructive if you ask me.

As a minority, I would saying getting an opportunity to have that experience with solely ones own people is extremely important. In doing so one is reaffirmed and made more confident in who they are. In a society where you are not the majority, it is very easy to get wrapped up in the images that society projects on you. Especially for African Americans because, unlike other black communities this community has been terribly fractured and it has led to a loss of identity and as a result acceptance of the abhorrent stereotypes that American society projects on it.

Therefore, if one lacks a strong sense of who they really are they will be lost. Thankfully for me, before college I had the opportunity of going to a predominately black school and a predominately white school. I was, therefore, exposed to both communities and learned how to effectively navigate both. As a result, when I went to university, I was able to mingle in both realms (and with other racial and ethnic groups) So don't knock that perspective if one doesn't have it. It is very valuable.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:41 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,946,604 times
I think the financials are far more critical than how well African American history is taught. Whichever undergrad can get you out w/ the least amt of debt and solid grades is the one that should win out. Given even cost though, Georgetown is the no brainer over Morehouse. It has far more recognition as top tier school regardless of race. Morehouse admits 64% of applicants vs. 17% at Georgetown. On a resume where race is irrelevant what does that say to you?

Sure Morehouse has a strong alumni network but is it really stronger than that of a top 30 school in DC? There's nothing wrong w/ wanting to associate w/ people of similar culture/background but that's not the only factor that should matter when choosing a school. How many people can realistically function in society post college associating only w/ blacks, whites, or asians? Top tier companies do hit up Morehouse for grads but I'd venture the bulk of their hiring is still out of the top 30 schools.

On another note, why is Morehouse's student loan repayment rate so terrible compared to even peer schools if anecdotal evidence in this thread says Morehouse grads are all CEOs. Georgetown avgs 79% repayment while Morehouse can only muster 27%. It may have to do w/ the much lower graduation rate or perhaps Morehouse provides far fewer scholarships and that leads to an untenable financial burden.

Federal Student Loan Repayment Stats:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...lUri-wTrfkel0g

On the ROI chart, Georgetown is #45 while Morehouse is #683. GT is #18 (high paying engineering jobs do skew things).
Average Cost for College - Compare College Costs & ROI

Note: I'm not saying financial return is the only basis for getting a college degree but it should be a huge factor when investing six figures for a degree.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:25 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,993,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajohnson View Post
Hey city-data, My name is Diana Johnson from Dallas Texas. My son is about to do early admissions this year for Morehouse College. I would love for him to have that HBCU experience. But I have had many negative comments and perceptions of the College.

So my question is to City-Data. What do you think of Morehouse College? Is a good school. Does it have quality education for the cost? And so on

He comes from a school which is 80 percent white. And has been that way since daycare. I would love for him to experience black culture at a university But would it be a cultural shock? Is the education subpar with the cost 43,000 and direct 37,000.

He is applying for Georgetown as well, I talk to admissions at Georgetown and he has a very great chance and possibly a huge scholarship. Even though we do have a college fund for him, this a huge plus.

His composite score last year as a junior was a 27 on Act and sat score was a 2100 something. He is taking it again in February so he can get higher.

thanks everybody
Good question. I say send him to the school. What Ive heard about Morehouse is it is well connected in the Atlanta area and many of the Alumni look out for their own. Will he be a resident of Atlanta after school? If not then he should go to school in the city he plans to live in. HBCUs are in other cities besides Atlanta, but my opinion is if the school and city are not close its like a disconnect instead of a CONNECT. I mean the whole point of going to school is to get a great job/career...so That is my take on any school.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
I think the financials are far more critical than how well African American history is taught. Whichever undergrad can get you out w/ the least amt of debt and solid grades is the one that should win out. Given even cost though, Georgetown is the no brainer over Morehouse. It has far more recognition as top tier school regardless of race. Morehouse admits 64% of applicants vs. 17% at Georgetown. On a resume where race is irrelevant what does that say to you?

Sure Morehouse has a strong alumni network but is it really stronger than that of a top 30 school in DC? There's nothing wrong w/ wanting to associate w/ people of similar culture/background but that's not the only factor that should matter when choosing a school. How many people can realistically function in society post college associating only w/ blacks, whites, or asians? Top tier companies do hit up Morehouse for grads but I'd venture the bulk of their hiring is still out of the top 30 schools.

On another note, why is Morehouse's student loan repayment rate so terrible compared to even peer schools if anecdotal evidence in this thread says Morehouse grads are all CEOs. Georgetown avgs 79% repayment while Morehouse can only muster 27%. It may have to do w/ the much lower graduation rate or perhaps Morehouse provides far fewer scholarships and that leads to an untenable financial burden.

On the ROI chart, Georgetown is #45 while Morehouse is #683. GT is #18 (high paying engineering jobs do skew things).

Note: I'm not saying financial return is the only basis for getting a college degree but it should be a huge factor when investing six figures for a degree.
And this is where we have the disconnect.. I understand the argument of financials, but OP clearly is expressing a desire to go to this University despite that. Possibly signifying the fact that they can handle the costs. That aside I am not talking about a matter of knowing "history" or an ostensible desire of wanting to be near others just because they are a similar color. I am talking about helping to alleviate a deeper psychological ailment which plagues most "visible minorities" in the U.S. This comes from subtle external societal norms and values which define what we deem to be right or wrong. Strong home training can help to annul this, but sometimes there are external factors such as being in an environment that is predominately White and your the only Black person, is something that at times you can't really control. A lot of times, if these problems are not addressed, it can lead to alienation, lack of confidence, and a host of other problems.

Contrary to popular belief this is an experience that can better integrate minorities into society rather than marginalize them. Therefore, in the event OP's son is one of those students who needs to have more time spent "growing into his skin", Morehouse would be the better option. Now if OP's son had gone to a predominately black school all of his life and there really wasn't a desire to go then I would be on the Georgetown bandwagon. There needs to be a balance so that in real society, which is becoming much more diverse, these students can be able to navigate both realms.

This however, is from my experience and the experiences of those I have come in contact with from all walks of life. I can't speak for an entire group of people.. I am only one person. However, from what I have observed this is a real issue that affects a lot of people. But I can see how it can appear to be "irrelevant" to people who have never been minorities.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I will say though that Morehouse does have a good reputation I know here in Atlanta specifically. I know plenty of people who look to hire Morehouse graduates. Our HR head will also hire someone who went to Morehouse over someone with a similar background because he went to Morehouse.
Yep..Morehouse would be a good choice if he plans to live in Atlanta years after he graduates.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
I don't understand why some people get so crazy whenever somebody questions the mighty Morehouse. It's strange.
If this was a US wide topic Georgetown would win by a landslide...but its an Atlanta forum. Atlanta has a large black population, so black pride comes into play. The Alumni from the school would to see the school do well and other HBCU Alumni want to see other HBCU schools do well so that the tradition can continue. They may feel threat from the UGAs, GTs & GSUs. Its already happening with black athletes.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:51 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,389,870 times
Even as a black male who grew up primarily around blacks, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to attend Georgetown. It's in DC afterall, so you won't be lacking the "black experience".

As for Morehouse, I've personally known two, very different alumni. One was a moderately talented snob, who possessed an undeserved sense of self-importance. An Atlanta native and proud "Morehouse Man". The other, with whom I'm still friends with, was a true prodigy. Very intelligent, spiritual, and artistic, yet very laid-back and humble. While he enjoyed getting his education, one of his biggest complaints was feeling like he didn't belong there. He admits, however, that attending an institution for black men was a life changing experience.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:25 PM

54 posts, read 163,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post

Thank you for you answer. Debt is a non issue for us. We started a college fund when he was born through investments in the stock markets but we still have good investments = (Separate Trading of Registered Interest and Principal of Securities) Also his father has set up an account for his education as well.

But financial aid is a helpful tool, and we are looking for financial assistance if possible.

Yes, this is why I want to know is Morehouse a good direction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta