U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2011, 07:36 AM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,396 posts, read 6,162,552 times
Reputation: 3553
Ugh, why must the same bottom feeders always show up on these threads regarding the AUC.

For the OP, I am a graduate of Morehouse and it is an excellent school. As a bonus, it also has an experience that can't be matched by many schools for young men black, white, asian, or latino.

However as others have mentioned (though my reasons are different), Morehouse isn't for everyone. Partying will be sparse and classes will be difficult. There is a lot to live up to in becoming a "Morehouse Man" and those who cannot cut it will most likely not make it.

And lastly, Georgetown is a great school and is more highly ranked than Morehouse. Your son will not be disadvantaged by going there at all as opposed to Morehouse (obviously), but do not take to heart the comments on this thread that say he will be disadvantaged by going to Morehouse. It has a great reputation for a reason (just look at the men it has produced) and those who would disparage that have an ax to grind due to reasons not associated with the school itself or it's prestige.

Last edited by waronxmas; 10-03-2011 at 07:48 AM..

 
Old 10-03-2011, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Middletown, Ohio
1,563 posts, read 1,256,369 times
Reputation: 5086
Lightbulb Well Boyyy Howdy...Here's Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
my thoughts as somebody who has never even been near that campus: it is a niche private school where people that cant get into better schools go, while thinking they are aaawesome!

you asked about perceptions. this is mine.
To the OP Miss DianaJohnson...your young son is in a most enviable position...he has the world literally by the tail, and is blessed to have A) a strong, supportive parent who is 'watching his back', and B) the chance to choose between 2 or more (Morehouse/Georgetown) excellent institutions of higher learning

I don't live in either DC or Atlanta, but I have high school classmates who either atttended the 2 schools in question, or sent their offspring there, and I have yet to hear a disparaging comment from them over decades of contact

My opinion? I give the slight edge to Morehouse, based on rave reviews from my friends (lol---and being slightly biased toward ATL because my sister gave itrave reviews when she lived there), but trust me, he will lose not one iota of mobility by attending Georgetown, given you had mentioned pre-law upthread...

Now to address something else momentarily...as I said before, I don't live in Atlanta, nor have I ever set foot on either campus, but calling Morehouse 'a niche private school where people who can't get into better schools go, while thinking that they're aaawesome!'? Please, give us all a break...we all here have a right to our perceptions/opinions, true enough, but I think energy is better spent doing something besides seeing how far you can ratchet up the 'snark quotient' in a chat forum thread...

It disturbs me that every time a really good thread or dialogue gets rolling here, it gets derailed and breaks down because some folk get off on creating discord...and that's MY perception
 
Old 10-03-2011, 08:18 AM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,396 posts, read 6,162,552 times
Reputation: 3553
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
To the OP Miss DianaJohnson...your young son is in a most enviable position...he has the world literally by the tail, and is blessed to have A) a strong, supportive parent who is 'watching his back', and B) the chance to choose between 2 or more (Morehouse/Georgetown) excellent institutions of higher learning

I don't live in either DC or Atlanta, but I have high school classmates who either atttended the 2 schools in question, or sent their offspring there, and I have yet to hear a disparaging comment from them over decades of contact

My opinion? I give the slight edge to Morehouse, based on rave reviews from my friends (lol---and being slightly biased toward ATL because my sister gave itrave reviews when she lived there), but trust me, he will lose not one iota of mobility by attending Georgetown, given you had mentioned pre-law upthread...

Now to address something else momentarily...as I said before, I don't live in Atlanta, nor have I ever set foot on either campus, but calling Morehouse 'a niche private school where people who can't get into better schools go, while thinking that they're aaawesome!'? Please, give us all a break...we all here have a right to our perceptions/opinions, true enough, but I think energy is better spent doing something besides seeing how far you can ratchet up the 'snark quotient' in a chat forum thread...

It disturbs me that every time a really good thread or dialogue gets rolling here, it gets derailed and breaks down because some folk get off on creating discord...and that's MY perception
+1
 
Old 10-03-2011, 08:23 AM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,396 posts, read 6,162,552 times
Reputation: 3553
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

I don't know that he will be able to guarantee a high paying job no matter what college he goes to. The job market is fierce and there are never any guarantees IMO.
You make one of the best points of the thread. Going to a particular school does not guarantee a job after graduation. This is true for Morehouse, Georgetown, the Ivies and even Padukaville State College and Beauty School. The job market is fierce now and even people with years of experience have difficulty getting a job.
 
Old 10-03-2011, 08:25 AM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,937 posts, read 4,907,853 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Ugh, why must the same bottom feeders always show up on these threads regarding the AUC.

For the OP, I am a graduate of Morehouse and it is an excellent school. As a bonus, it also has an experience that can't be matched by many schools for young men black, white, asian, or latino.

However as others have mentioned (though my reasons are different), Morehouse isn't for everyone. Partying will be sparse and classes will be difficult. There is a lot to live up to in becoming a "Morehouse Man" and those who cannot cut it will most likely not make it.

And lastly, Georgetown is a great school and is more highly ranked than Morehouse. Your son will not be disadvantaged by going there at all as opposed to Morehouse (obviously), but do not take to heart the comments on this thread that say he will be disadvantaged by going to Morehouse. It has a great reputation for a reason (just look at the men it has produced) and those who would disparage that have an ax to grind due to reasons not associated with the school itself or it's prestige.
To be direct, you'd expect to hear this from an alumnus.

Morehouse is a good school, but I firmly believe that there's better options out there, even for black men. Just my humble opinion.
 
Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 AM
 
2,102 posts, read 1,082,970 times
Reputation: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
To be direct, you'd expect to hear this from an alumnus.

Morehouse is a good school, but I firmly believe that there's better options out there, even for black men. Just my humble opinion.
+1

An okay school, not great, but there are certainly worse, but it is a small niche liberal arts school.

Also not previously mentioned: One of my biggest complaints about my time on campus was the constant, back-patting and coddling the students received. It was just constant from the time they stepped on campus they were congratulated for every small step. Is getting into college a big step? Not these days. Perhaps this is a cultural thing, but where I went to college the first day of school they sat all the freshman in an auditorium and said "Look to your left, look to your right. One of you won't be here in 4 years. You think you have accomplished something in getting here (top 40 national university). You haven't accomplished anything yet." I think this tough love mentality is far more constructive than the constant ego building of 'You are doing so well' and 'You are the best and brightest (obviously a stretch)''. This builds an undeserved sense of accomplishment in the 50+% of the Morehosue students who are very unimpressive.
 
Old 10-03-2011, 08:49 AM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,396 posts, read 6,162,552 times
Reputation: 3553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
To be direct, you'd expect to hear this from an alumnus.

Morehouse is a good school, but I firmly believe that there's better options out there, even for black men. Just my humble opinion.
I disagree. Not because I am a graduate, but because if one's goal is to find a college that specially caters to black men only Howard holds a candle to Morehouse in that regard. That's the truth.

Now when it comes to school, having been in the corporate world for a while now I can tell you that it really doesn't matter that much where you go. Obviously, going to a for-profit "school" that has advertisements on TV won't do much for you, but just having an education already provides you a leg up in society. With that said, there is nothing "better" about going to one school or another just by looking at statistics about SAT scores and such. University level education is about the person the making the most out of it. Just showing up and paying tuition will mean nothing. If you achieve at even a moderately good school chances are you will achieve in life.

For a black man in particular though, "better" has a different connotation when it comes to a university education. While I attended the 'House and fortunately never had to encounter it, I have colleagues who went to well respected PWC schools that said they felt an immense pressure to "prove" themselves of being worthy of even being a student there. While none of them have ever expressed feeling "overt" racism, they have felt it's bite as being looked at as being "just another Affirmative action case" and were treated as such by students and staff. I'm not saying that a black man should never go to a PWC school, but there are advantages to attending an HBCU.

My feeling has always been that in order to best learn you must be in comfortable surroundings. Morehouse is "better" for a black man than Georgetown in that regard because at the 'House he would be mentored and taught with the knowledge that the school is doing everything in it's ability to make him successful AND he would be surrounded by thousands of other black men trying to achieve the same goal. Georgetown cannot match that.
 
Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 AM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,937 posts, read 4,907,853 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I disagree. Not because I am a graduate, but because if one's goal is to find a college that specially caters to black men only Howard holds a candle to Morehouse in that regard. That's the truth.

Now when it comes to school, having been in the corporate world for a while now I can tell you that it really doesn't matter that much where you go. Obviously, going to a for-profit "school" that has advertisements on TV won't do much for you, but just having an education already provides you a leg up in society. With that said, there is nothing "better" about going to one school or another just by looking at statistics about SAT scores and such. University level education is about the person the making the most out of it. Just showing up and paying tuition will mean nothing. If you achieve at even a moderately good school chances are you will achieve in life.

For a black man in particular though, "better" has a different connotation when it comes to a university education. While I attended the 'House and fortunately never had to encounter it, I have colleagues who went to well respected PWC schools that said they felt an immense pressure to "prove" themselves of being worthy of even being a student there. While none of them have ever expressed feeling "overt" racism, they have felt it's bite as being looked at as being "just another Affirmative action case" and were treated as such by students and staff. I'm not saying that a black man should never go to a PWC school, but there are advantages to attending an HBCU.

My feeling has always been that in order to best learn you must be in comfortable surroundings. Morehouse is "better" for a black man than Georgetown in that regard because at the 'House he would be mentored and taught with the knowledge that the school is doing everything in it's ability to make him successful AND he would be surrounded by thousands of other black men trying to achieve the same goal. Georgetown cannot match that.
But you can't speak for all black men, though. All of us are not looking to be "catered to". And I'm sorry, but Morehouse is absolutely not the end all and be all for black men.

Racism at the "white schools" is simply an obstacle that many blacks are able to overlook and overcome in order to get their education, and many of them do it without losing their "blackness". And that is a very noble achievement.

It's good that you are proud of your alma mater, but be careful in trying to pass off your personal convictions as universally accepted fact.
 
Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Box
 
381 posts, read 262,211 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
But you can't speak for all black men, though. All of us are not looking to be "catered to". And I'm sorry, but Morehouse is absolutely not the end all and be all for black men.

Racism at the "white schools" is simply an obstacle that many blacks are able to overlook and overcome in order to get their education, and many of them do it without losing their "blackness". And that is a very noble achievement.

It's good that you are proud of your alma mater, but be careful in trying to pass off your personal convictions as universally accepted fact.
Compared to a lot of my friends who went to so called top schools (including Emory) most of the Morehouse men that I know ended up coming out doing big things.
 
Old 10-03-2011, 09:23 AM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,396 posts, read 6,162,552 times
Reputation: 3553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
But you can't speak for all black men, though. All of us are not looking to be "catered to". And I'm sorry, but Morehouse is absolutely not the end all and be all for black men.
I never stated that it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Racism at the "white schools" is simply an obstacle that many blacks are able to overlook and overcome in order to get their education, and many of them do it without losing their "blackness". And that is a very noble achievement.
I also never said anything about people "losing blackness". My statement was that it is a reality that black men in particular have trouble with being full accepted socially and academically at PWC schools. You are right that many people don't even notice it and many who do overcome it. That does not mean that it does not happen though. All I stated is that at Morehouse that sort of environment does not exist. That is appealing to many people, myself included.

Also, the appeal of attending an HBCU is five parts cultural. It's the same appeal that Norte Dame has for Catholics, Brigham Young for Mormons, or Yeshiva for Jews. I do find it funny though that advocates of HBCUs always find themselves in defense mode and advocates of those schools do not.

Last edited by waronxmas; 10-03-2011 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top