U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 PM

54 posts, read 122,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
At the end of the day, either University would be good for him. However, because of his desires to become a lawyer and the strong support system that it seems that he has at home. Go for Georgetown. Its in the heart of Dc and political opportunities are abound. However, wherever he goes, he has to know that he has to excel no matter what it takes. Its up to him to craft his experience.
We have decided both colleges. Georgetown and Morehouse.

I know he will make me proud. Even with him a million miles away. I think he would have a good balance between party life and studies.

He does the same things young adults do. (party [a little bit too much lol], go out, movies, hang with friends, etc) So i know he will have fun at any college he chooses.

thanks you for your input. Thank Thank Thank you you you.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:46 PM

54 posts, read 122,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You make one of the best points of the thread. Going to a particular school does not guarantee a job after graduation. This is true for Morehouse, Georgetown, the Ivies and even Padukaville State College and Beauty School. The job market is fierce now and even people with years of experience have difficulty getting a job.

I probably worded it wrong . I was thinking good networking abilities.

I personally know, graduating from Duke's Medical School, I literary had twenty job offers before I even graduated.

My newphew has graduated from UT and he had 3 job offers waiting on him before he graduated.

I know you are not guaranteed a job but if the school has good networking abilities and your portifilo is awesome. Your chances of getting a job is 9/10.
And when your degree is from a reputable schoool, chances are even higher.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 PM

449 posts, read 580,110 times
I think Georgetown and Morehouse would be great choices.

I agree with whoever said that funding is an important factor in the decision.

If my child was offerred a full ride at Georgetown and Morehouse, I'd definitely advise them to take the offer at GU.

If he was offerred a full ride at Morehouse and no offers from GU, I'd advise then to attend Morehouse.

One thing about HBCUs is that minorities are given a more even playing ground. At Georgetown, a minority student might be left out the loop unless they know how to politic with the "majority" students.

I think a HBCU was the perfect choice for me (attended Hampton U) and don't think I would've been able to compete and excel at major universities.

My scores were no where near as high as your child so it seems as if he would do well at a major University.

In my case, the brotherhood and help from peers (that actually looked out for me) was very beneficial for me when attending a HBCU

Old 10-04-2011, 12:24 AM

462 posts, read 326,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianajohnson View Post
Thanks all for your input. Thanks a lot

Right now we have decided on a trial and error bases. He is going to Morehouse for his undergraduate degree in poli sci - pre law. Then applying to Georgetown law school. I have suggested summer classes at Georgetown as well. He sounds like he like that idea too.
And this way he can have the best of both worlds.

His educational focus WILL NOT BE a problem in his attempt to make his chances higher into getting into highly selective Georgetown (I will make sure of it = plane trip/road trip and a belt) lol

I have talked to Morehouse and they are very interested in him.

And for the summers, I can send him to Washington D.c for internships. I know a couple of alumni from my school who can take care of him with this. And his law firm can write him a good recommendation letter, and they have contacts in Washington D.C as well. So a big +.

I just want the best for my son, he deserves it. He has been really focused in his life.
and he makes a mother proud.

And I want to thank everybody who has given their comments and honest opinions. Him and I greatly appreciate Atlantians. (I do not know if that is right)

But like I said its a trial and errors basis, but i think he going to enjoy himself and I can be proud of the education he will receive.
Fantastic decision!! I hope for the best! Its inspiring to see both you and him are striving for success! I'm sure he will do great!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 PM

40 posts, read 40,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
You must not come around here often. With this dude, you cant really give logical responses. He's one of those that disses everything black including the colleges and universities. In his opinion, an HBCU will never produce anyone as successful as a "Georgia Tech" or a "Georgetown." I see right through the line of reasoning he gives especially when everytime there's a topic like this he's one of those in there screaming "nooo dont send em to a black school."

My whole point was whether it be Morehouse or Georgetown if the kid has the ambition to succeed then he WILL. I get sick of the whole "if its white then it must be right" logic on here. Especially when there are probably just as many successful grads from Morehouse than there are Georgetown. I mean I could start a comparison list but it wouldn't do any good...comments like "why would it be important for them to be around all blacks?" Wake up dude...
You are absolutely off your rocker if you think Morehouse is even whispered in the same breath as Georgetown. Your racist views have skewed your vision of common sense. Morehouse has an acceptance rate comparable to that of a community college, really.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:28 PM

15,076 posts, read 9,818,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isellpower View Post
You are absolutely off your rocker if you think Morehouse is even whispered in the same breath as Georgetown. Your racist views have skewed your vision of common sense. Morehouse has an acceptance rate comparable to that of a community college, really.
Well, so what? People put way too much emphasis on things like "acceptance rates" and school ratings in my opinion. Folks who went to prestigious schools and have a string of degrees are often catastrophically wrong. For instance, why didn't the financial wizards and academics see the recession coming and raise Cain about it? The list of blunders by so-called experts goes on and on.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 PM

11,139 posts, read 7,002,406 times
I know people who have gone on to prestigious law schools, divinity schools, medical schools, etc. from your run-of-the-mill public state universities as well as HBCU's. It's very much possible. Personally, I think an undergrad experience at Morehouse plus a law school experience at Georgetown (or some other good law school) would make for an excellent combination and would combine the best of both worlds for the OP's son.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:52 AM

449 posts, read 580,110 times
^^^^^

This is on point

Plenty of succesfull figures have degrees at HBCUs

Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 AM

6,558 posts, read 6,883,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I know people who have gone on to prestigious law schools, divinity schools, medical schools, etc. from your run-of-the-mill public state universities as well as HBCU's. It's very much possible. Personally, I think an undergrad experience at Morehouse plus a law school experience at Georgetown (or some other good law school) would make for an excellent combination and would combine the best of both worlds for the OP's son.
+1

This is basically the way it goes at the 'House since it's just undergrad. A lot of graduates feed into places like Wharton, Harvard Law, etc.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:06 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,062,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isellpower View Post
Ok so can you please post which of those two universities has more successful graduates working in fortune 500 companies? I'll wait....

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta