U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:00 PM

54 posts, read 163,264 times

Advertisements

Hey city-data, My name is Diana Johnson from Dallas Texas. My son is about to do early admissions this year for Morehouse College. I would love for him to have that HBCU experience. But I have had many negative comments and perceptions of the College.

So my question is to City-Data. What do you think of Morehouse College? Is a good school. Does it have quality education for the cost? And so on

He comes from a school which is 80 percent white. And has been that way since daycare. I would love for him to experience black culture at a university But would it be a cultural shock? Is the education subpar with the cost 43,000 and direct 37,000.

He is applying for Georgetown as well, I talk to admissions at Georgetown and he has a very great chance and possibly a huge scholarship. Even though we do have a college fund for him, this a huge plus.

His composite score last year as a junior was a 27 on Act and sat score was a 2100 something. He is taking it again in February so he can get higher.

thanks everybody

Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 PM

137 posts, read 207,955 times
Although i went to Howard University, i will admit Morehouse is a great school. Yes the area around it has its bad parts, but that is around other schools as well, and the focus should be education. I think your son would love going to school with other talented young black men, as well as the opportunity to unite with the sister school Spelman College. Clark is right in the backyard as well which gives a great rivalry. If I didnt wanna get away from home I would have perhaps gone to Morehouse, but Ill never admit its better than Howard lol.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:05 PM

137 posts, read 207,955 times
O and yes it might be a culture shock, but a great majority of the students at Morehouse and Spelman have the same story as your son, coming from a white majority high school. I think it should be a easy transition.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Box

382 posts, read 535,518 times
If you have the money then I say go with Morehouse, simply because of the fact that from what I've heard from friends the Morehouse experience can't be replicated anywhere else.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:22 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,118,048 times
Definitely among the best of the HBCUs.

I've heard though there is a "Morehouse Attitude" culture, but what that means exactly, I don't know. I got the impression that "you have to fit in or leave".

Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,603,756 times
I went to Howard, the hubby went to Morehouse. We met people from the "hood" who knew that education was the way out. We met people who grew up in Beverly Hills or had parents who were celebrities. We met people from all over the world. It was a wonderful experience for both of us.

I will say this. My BIL went to Morehouse and hated it. He went to private school and was one of the few black students. But his private school had better facilities and funding than Morehouse, and from his standpoint, I can understand why he would have considered Morehouse facilities subpar.

In the end, it's all about what type of experience your son wants. If he really wants the "black experience" then Morehouse (or Howard, LOL) would be his best bet. If that experience is not important to him, or he can get better funding at say Georgetown, then Georgetown would be fine, but he will absolutely NOT get the same experience at Georgetown than he would at Howard or Morehouse.

Visit the school. Speak to a few current Morehouse men. Peruse the website. See if the Morehouse culture is something that interests him.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:09 PM

178 posts, read 522,188 times
I have friends that went to Morehouse and still tell stories about it. I've learned the school has bus lines that specifically take you to parties on Friday nights

Old 09-30-2011, 12:05 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,019,556 times
Default Good, but no Georgetown

Morehouse certainly has its supporters and by most accounts, it is a fine school. But it doesn't compare to schools like Georgetown. If you can get your son into Georgetown, this is a far better option IMO. It is higher ranked and far more reputable nationally. I also feel that Washington, DC is an incredible place to live and grow, and would provide your son with a far broader exposure, while enabling him to experience some black culture. From what you said here about is upbringing in school thus far, this would appear to be a smoother transition for him.

Ultimately though, it should be up to your son to determine where he wants to go based on his impressions when he visits these places or from the information he has internalized about them. Where does he want to go?

Old 09-30-2011, 07:23 AM

2,123 posts, read 3,391,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
I have friends that went to Morehouse and still tell stories about it. I've learned the school has bus lines that specifically take you to parties on Friday nights
This has zero to do with morehouse. Those same buses go to GSU and other schools inside the perimeter for students with no transportation. And the clubs and promoters pay for the buses not the school.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Old 09-30-2011, 07:42 AM

14,375 posts, read 7,088,716 times
I would speak with admissions and visit the school if possible. I went to Clark Atlanta, which is right next door to Morehouse and had a lot of friends who went there and to Spelman and also Morris Brown at the time. I love the AUC and feel that all of the schools offer wonderful educational opportunities.

I personally don't feel it will be a culture shock. I went to CAU in the late 90s and went back a few years ago for another degree. I grew up in a racially integrated city but never went to school with a large black population. Coming to CAU and the AUC was refreshing to me and very motivating and enlightening. Even though registration was a pain (not as bad as it used to be though which is great) everyone in my department were very supportive and I felt that I had a family amongst them, that they really cared about my success and my growth as a person. I loved my time there.

I will say though that scholarships are a good thing. If you know that Georgetown is a guaranteed free ride, then I would go there. If your son really wants to experience Morehouse though look into other financial options. Since he seems to be superb student, he may very well get a scholarship at Morehouse. I would call their financial aid department to see what they have available. Odds are that they may offer your son the same as what he can get at Georgetown. Also, sign up on the UNCF website and peruse it to see what they have available. I dub myself a "scholarship nazi" as when I went back to school I decided to do it all on grants and scholarship so I did a lot of research and got a lot of money via scholarships, one was a UNCF scholarship.

Wanted to also note that depending on when the previous posters went to Morehouse, the facilities there may have been recently upgraded. I haven't been inside of many of their buildings recently. I graduated from CAU again in 2008 but did not take any classes at Morehouse at that time like I did previously in the late 90s. I can tell you that the facilities at CAU, which I felt were beneath those of Morehouse in the 90s, were much better than they had been. The whole campus had been redone , new everything even though the outside of the buildings looked the same. Spelman has also been upgraded during this time in my opinion. When I graduated in 2008 they were still doing construction at the AUC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta