U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:06 AM

15,040 posts, read 9,805,129 times

Advertisements

It's heartbreaking to see this happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 10:40 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,084,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
Maybe I have a different taste for food, but I don't see what the big deal is about the generic chain restaurants mentioned in this post?
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish...I've been losing weight and watching calories...assuming the El Pollo Loco has the same menu there as they have here in California, I do not know any chicken restaurant that offers such healthy choices...I usually get the chicken breast and pull the skin off...doing this is a lot less calories that going to Popeye's or KFC and pulling the skin off a chicken breast that has already been deep fried dripping in grease. Plus El Pollo Loco has steamed vegetables without additives such as butter and oil. Plus corn tortillas have less fat and calories than a hot buttered biscuit...

It's all relative to what you are trying to do..

Old 10-02-2011, 11:20 AM

1,043 posts, read 838,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
Maybe I have a different taste for food, but I don't see what the big deal is about the generic chain restaurants mentioned in this post?
Well, you're probably a foodie. And many people, such as myself, are not. I appreciate and love real good food, but I am also generally perfectly happy grabbing a sandwich from Subway, a burger from Burger King, or a burrito from Willy's or Moe's. In fact, many times, that's what I want.

Like a friend of mine...posted on Facebook one night something like "Home alone tonight while the wife is out, so I threw together Free-Range Caramelised Quail Stuffed with Foie Gras and a side of Green Asparagus and Macaroni in a Comté Gratin". Yeah....no.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:27 PM

449 posts, read 579,707 times
Seems like outside of the West/South West, El Pollo Loco doesn't have enough demand

Old 03-28-2012, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 706 times
I worked at the El Pollo Loco in Lithia Springs. The stores have been slowly closing for the past few years, and all locations left in Georgia finally closed down last September. It is a very popular restaurant in California, but here in the south it just wasn't the same.
It was doing better when it was a franchise, but it was bought out by corporate and everything went downhill after that. Management was replaced I don't know how many times at my store, the best ones we had were fired because of their influence on the staff, is my best guess. Corp wanted more control over the stores and were trying to get rid of the ones that were keeping the business going and moving in these people from California who didn't understand that things were different here. The stores here were run differently than those they came from, any one person had a lot more that they were responsible for. A Cali store would have 11+ staff in one shift, a Ga store would have about 6 or less because that's all the labor that they could afford.
Idk, it was a lot of different things that ruined the business, it was my first management job and a disaster day to day. I defiantly learned what not to do lol.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:41 PM

4,385 posts, read 3,952,201 times
I liked El Pollo Loco, but I LOVE Pollo Campero!

The chicken is pretty much the same deal, but Pollo Campero has yucas fritas and some kind of delicious sauce to dip them in. I think it might just be ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together, but whatever, it is good.

I wish the "I'm too good for fast food" crowd would just shut up. Or don't, keep speaking your mind so we can identify the snobs! Local places are all well and good, but sometimes you just want to drive up to a window, get your food, and go. I'm really happy that we have some ethnic variety in our quick service options and it's not just KFC, McDonald's, Burger King, etc.

Personally, I judge restaurants by individual quality, not by whether they are a chain or not. I "get" why chains are often so derided, but I would prefer a good meal at Houstons, which is a chain, to probably at least half of the locally owned places. The trick is to pick your restaurant wisely. I wouldn't eat at Ruby Tuesday if it was a choice between that and a bag of Doritos for dinner.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:58 AM

97 posts, read 279,383 times
So I haven't posted in forever, but saw this and figured I HAD to say something

POLLO TROPICAL!!

A new one is actually being built right up the street from the Pollo Loco that the OP is talking about on Cobb Pkwy. It'll be in the complex near the Cumb. Mall w/ the Pinkberry, GNC, Bed Bath Beyond, etc.

I visit Miami all the time and HAVE to eat at Pollo Tropical each time I go... best dern "fast" food ever... chicken.. rice... corn... black beans.. ahhhh.. mouth is watering!! I think there is only 1 other in GA - not many outside of Miami.. but I'm considering us LUCKY for getting this franchise!! I was in the complex this past weekend - I'd venture to say it'll be up and running by mid-May @ the latest.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 PM

448 posts, read 261,916 times
Over the past week or so, I see that they are currently renovating the former Pollo Loco's Cobb Pkwy site. Does anyone know what restaurant will be the next?

Old 04-02-2012, 01:32 PM

2,397 posts, read 2,112,430 times
If any California-based chain needs to be in the Atlanta area, it's a desired return of Del Taco. It is far superior to Taco Bell.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:57 PM

127 posts, read 335,372 times
Wow! Eleven employees in a somewhat fast food place at one time is definitely unheard of here. The most I saw working at Pollo Loco was five (two cooking, two on register, and one manager). I did see that other Pollo place being built on Cobb Pkwy. I can't see it doing too well since Chipotle although pricier is right behind it. Chipotle always has a line and maybe that's the people it will attract. Pollo Loco was good, but if I had the choice I would have hit Chipotle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta