Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 08:51 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,708 times

Advertisements

http://www.dca.ga.gov/housing/Housin...t_Handbook.pdf

I tried reading here, but didn't get any clarity. I've been looking for a place hard, so I haven't been thinking straight.

I reread the lease, and it said

Landlord and tenant all retain to right to terminate this Agreement before the expiration date for any reason. Tenant must vacate premises within 72 hours of nonpayment or termination of this agreement.

Moving out in 3 days of not paying sounds fine, but I have to move out, 3 days after I get kicked out? It sounds like it's a free license for him to collect a full month's rent, and kick me out for nothing.

Is there some common sense law making this clause void?

I guess I could cancel the check, but Georgia law says I can't have a cooloff period to unsign a lease, so I'm not sure what to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 09:37 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,708 times
I dug a little deeper in the handbook.

It says,

When can a landlord begin legal proceedings to evict a tenant?
A landlord can file a dispossessory action to remove a tenant if the tenant fails to pay rent, violates a term of the lease, or remains in possession after the lease has ended. The grounds for evicting a tenant are nonpayment of rent, failure to surrender the premises at the end of the lease term, or breach of the lease, including any rules that are part of the lease.

So, I guess I don't have to worry about moving in for a few days and then getting kicked out.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:05 PM

178 posts, read 618,083 times
Unless you sign a three day lease, the ira seizes the property, or you agree to a stupid term. They could put in the lease if the water bill exceeds a certain usage they can give you the boot.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:32 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,466 times
Abide by your lease and you shouldn't have any problems - imho.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:11 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachstatehomegal View Post
Abide by your lease and you shouldn't have any problems - imho.

hi, we've noticed there has been some trash around the hood. we think its you. we dont care who it is, but its you because we had to pick somebody. dont like it? aww tough. 150$ fine, and if you want to move, well you still owe us 8 months rent

so come again?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:40 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,466 times
hey cityrover, if you're talking about trash around the hood, then you must be with a homeowners association or something... that's totally different than a lease - unless you're not abiding by the HOA, and agreed to do so in your lease...

If you're talking in terms of an apartment complex, then make them PROVE that you're the trashy one...

Or am I missing something in that post?

Old 10-06-2011, 01:33 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
The question in your case seems to be this: If your landlord gives you notice of eviction, what can he/she do if you have not vacated the premises after 72 hours? I would consult an attorney about what your rights would be at that time.

I evicted a tenant due to non-payment several years ago. The legal process I had to go through took several weeks, and I had to complete this process before I could move her possessions onto the front lawn and change the locks. She did not attempt to ask for any extensions, and she did not request a hearing, so I do not see how the process could have been expedited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta