U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:20 AM

700 posts, read 751,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
You do know that people in the 70s reminisced about the simpler times of the 50s. In fact, schools even had 50s days where kids would dress up in 1950s garb, possibly from their parents. And a popular TV program was "Happy Days" which was set in the 50s. Nowadays, they relieve the Disco era of the 70s. That musical era many of us desperately hoped would pass.

Although I did like the 70s women's hairstyles.

And its been off the air a while but "That 70s Show" celebrated that "simpler" time of the 70s. But I never watched it. Why? Because I lived it.

Also, in the 70s the ultimate car was...the Trans Am. Uggh...what crappy cars Detroit (and Atlanta ) built then.

Personally, I think the 70s was the dullest era of human history.
There's plenty of women in north GA mountain towns with that same hair cut! Although some of them have finally graduated to the '80s perm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 12:52 PM

6,441 posts, read 3,830,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You seem to be overlooking the Carpenters, my friend. They were cranking out hit after hit in the 70s.
And ABBA too.

I think some of the worst music was written in the 70s. I was thankful for the New Wave 80s. Punk Rock started in the late 70s but I thought its early stages was simply crap. I thought the Sex Pistols would never catch on in a big way. They were more famous for being outrageous than talented.

JAWS was a mega hit and started the Blockbuster movie era but what surpassed that was STAR WARS. I can't think of a movie since that had as much of a public impact. Kids would brag how many times they'd seen it. And it still lingers today. I'd say it is more popular at Dragon*Con than Star Trek.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
There's plenty of women in north GA mountain towns with that same hair cut! Although some of them have finally graduated to the '80s perm...
Funny, I used to live in mountainous north central Pennsylvania. Going to school there in the 1970s was like the 1950s. We had student hall monitors, my math teacher would be on a stage in the cafeteria with a microphone during lunch hour basically yelling at us the whole time, and they played a little tune on small xylophone before announcements on the room PA system (just like in the movie Grease). The building itself was probably built in the early 1900s, creaky wood floors, high ceiling rooms heated with a radiator. The dry heat dried out the wood so it would creak...everywhere. The old fashioned gym with rope climbing. We had to climb up to the ceiling, turn around and come back down upside down. There was a club break in the schedule where everyone was expected to participate in a club, I chose Chess. Girls took Home Economics and guys took shop. We'd cut, bend, and solder metal heated in gas flame furnaces, cut wood to build a small table and a broom holder. It was all too sexist and dangerous for today. I guess rural parts of states are about 20 years behind the rest of the country. Glad we stayed there less than a year. But I'm also glad I experienced something from a by-gone era.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 10-01-2011 at 01:22 PM..

Old 10-03-2011, 07:09 AM

12,618 posts, read 18,445,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
I'm seeing a modified 'Farrah' being worn by some of the city girls now, too. What goes around comes around.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:44 AM

14,170 posts, read 8,674,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
The old fashioned gym with rope climbing. We had to climb up to the ceiling, turn around and come back down upside down.
You had a tough gym coach, MathMan. They made us go up, but we were not forced to come down head first.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:44 PM

1,558 posts, read 1,491,529 times
i remember macy around christmas time when we could ride the pink pig around the tree

Old 10-03-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You had a tough gym coach, MathMan. They made us go up, but we were not forced to come down head first.
Actually, we weren't forced. It depended on what grade you wanted.

Girls also had stuff to do on the Balance Beam while we did stuff on the Parallel Bars.

They even tested us for the Presidential Physical Fitness Award which earned you a badge. The requirements were...like...impossible to meet. I didn't know anyone who passed. Although I heard rumors of a handful that did. Children of superheroes I suspect.

And they taught us some social skills with the opposite sex through Square Dancing classes.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:02 PM

14,170 posts, read 8,674,902 times
Check out Sharky's Machine. It came out in 1981 but is a great look at the ATL during that late 70s era.

SHARKY'S MACHINE (ATL) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta