U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2011, 07:26 AM

461 posts, read 563,271 times
Breaking: Occupy Atlanta protestors get three more weeks in park *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 08:52 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,212,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Exactly. I don't know anyone who has quit their job to go protest. Among people my age, the movement is not taken seriously, even by liberals. Who exactly are these people?
Many of those who are involved in those protests are without work and/or are students.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkeshaThnx4Lyfe View Post
This is what I like to read. The people have spoken. The Word of God will not let the poor be mislead by witches like Sarah Palin and the Teaparty trying to be racist against Obama.

~Markesha
In my experience, most witches are very nice people. The term tends to be misused by people ignorant of history.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:04 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,511,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban5 View Post
How about both?
PC: they are a detriment to the aesthetics of the city, create garbage and congestion and breed crime. We are looking for the wellbeing of these people. It is not in their interest to be there. It is costing us money to guard them and secure them.

NonPC: got a call from ted turner. he is upset over the view from his office window.

You get the idea

Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 AM
JPD

7,741 posts, read 7,897,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
NonPC: got a call from ted turner. he is upset over the view from his office window.

You get the idea

Not sure if that was meant as a joke, but there's no way Ted Turner can see Woodruff Park from his building. There are numerous buildings taller than his standing between his building and the park.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:23 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,301,575 times
I'll say before and I'll say it again:

All of this nonsense, from the huge budget deficit, the everlasting wars in the middle east, and the sub-prime mortgage meltdown, is all part & parcel of the babyboomer way of doings. This generation is such a selfish generation.

They enjoyed all the benefits of the high marginal taxrates to the wealthy whether it be a generous montgomery G.I.Bill or reduced rate federal govt loans that were easily forgiven, great roads and bridges, and a safe environment in which to create new businesses. They also enjoyed strong unions that protected their ability to bargain for better wages and an FTA/NAFTA free work-environment up until the 1990's.

But now that the babyboomers' collective nests are feathered, the attitude is "d--n the future". It's funny how this generation became the "Johnnny-come-lately" crowd when it came to individual rights and started to really care about libertarianism only after their generation reaped all the benefits of countless collective bloody struggles that generations before them had to endure.

What a major league farce this generation has grown to become.

The hubris is so blatantly apparent in these constant unwarranted denigrations of the youthful "Occupy Wall Street" kids by the same ol' conservative city-data oldheads. Thankfully, I am not the only person who see things this way:

Occupy Wall Street: Why Baby Boomers Don't Understand the Protests - The Daily Beast

You babyboomers better beware. You guys are growing older and older. You will not always have your health. Your minds and bodies will inevitably give way to atrophy and decay.

When you refuse to invest in the youth who are our future, it will come back to harm you in so many different & ironically cruel ways. Consider this a Public Announcement from your Brotha in humanity, the Acid.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 10-20-2011 at 03:32 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
You babyboomers better beware. You guys are growing older and older. You will not always have your health. Your minds and bodies will inevitably give way to atrophy and decay.

When you refuse to invest in the youth who are our future, it will come back to harm you in so many different & ironically cruel ways. Consider this a Public Announcement from your Brotha in humanity, the Acid.
Reminds me of an old FidoNet tagline:

"Old Age and Treachery will overcome Youth and Skill. :-)"

Your time will come. But not yet.

Sadly, at least for me, folks on the tail end like myself are caught in the middle. I won't be retiring for another 20+ years, but I remember the moon landings and using punch cards to feed the mainframes in college.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:06 PM

14,596 posts, read 9,187,137 times
Quote:
But now that the babyboomers' collective nests are feathered, the attitude is "d--n the future".
You mean those same baby boomers who gave you the civil rights movement, the womens' movement, the gay rights movement, and the environmental movement? The ones who gave you the modern public school system, the state university system and the opportunity for low cost education, the interstates, modern rapid transit, NASA, incredible advances in health care, the internet and the computer and the end of the Cold War? The ones who paid for the education of vast numbers of children and grandchildren, and knocked themselves out to raise them up and teach them good values? The millions who've been laid off at the peak of their careers? Who've seen their decades of savings and home equity go up in smoke?

Old 10-20-2011, 05:38 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,301,575 times
Oh please...spare me the confused emoticon, arjay. As much as you keep yourself well abreast of all things political, you know exactly who I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the babyboomers who use the southern strategy to create far-right think-tanks to counter the gains from the civil rights movement, women's movement, and labor battles; the same babyboomers who are using corporate lobbyists to turn back the clock on environmental rights.

What about the babyboomers like Sonny Perdue, Nathan Deal, the WHOLE Georgia state legislature who took away a lot of funding for public school, the state university system and the like? What about the babyboomers who let the banks off the hook while decreasing Pell funding and reducing the federal government's role in the federal loan programs?

What about the babyboomers here in Georgia who refused at every opportunity to fully support public transportation? What about the babyboomers who decided that it was a great idea to outsource/offshore our mathematicians & physicists to India and China so that NASA would become an empty shell of its once former scientific glory?

What about the babybomers who destroyed the 1933 Glass-Steagall Act that prevented the American financial system from raping and pillaging our 401Ks, 403Bs, and 457 plans?

Yes...you know exactly who I'm talking about. You can play that middleground stuff with everyone else; but when push comes to shove, you and I both know where you lean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You mean those same baby boomers who gave you the civil rights movement, the womens' movement, the gay rights movement, and the environmental movement? The ones who gave you the modern public school system, the state university system and the opportunity for low cost education, the interstates, modern rapid transit, NASA, incredible advances in health care, the internet and the computer and the end of the Cold War? The ones who paid for the education of vast numbers of children and grandchildren, and knocked themselves out to raise them up and teach them good values? The millions who've been laid off at the peak of their careers? Who've seen their decades of savings and home equity go up in smoke?

Last edited by AcidSnake; 10-20-2011 at 05:55 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 PM

14,596 posts, read 9,187,137 times
Quote:
Oh please...spare me the confused emoticon, arjay. As much as you keep yourself well abreast of all things political, you know exactly who I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the babyboomers who use the southern strategy to create far-right think-tanks to counter the gains from the civil rights movement, women's movement, and labor battles; the same babyboomers who are using corporate lobbyists to turn back the clock on environmental rights.

What about the babyboomers like Sonny Perdue, Nathan Deal, the WHOLE Georgia state legislature who took away a lot of funding for public school, the state university system and the like? What about the babyboomers who let the banks off the hook while decreasing Pell funding and reducing the federal government's role in the federal loan programs?

What about the babyboomers here in Georgia who refused at every opportunity to fully support public transportation? What about the babyboomers who decided that it was a great idea to outsource/offshore our mathematicians & physicists to India and China so that NASA would become an empty shell of its once former scientific glory?

What about the babybomers who destroyed the 1933 Glass-Steagall Act that prevented the American financial system from raping and pillaging our 401Ks, 403Bs, and 457 plans?

Yes...you know exactly who I'm talking about. You can play that middleground stuff with everyone else; but when push comes to shove, you and I both know where you lean.
Your problem is with people you don't like and/or disagree with, Snake. But the ones you describe are in every generation, including yours. Why pick on baby boomers? Many of them have been your greatest allies, and many of them have suffered mightily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta