U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 10-10-2011, 05:53 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,506 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Funny, I was in NYC last weekend and went to that area twice (City Hall and Brooklyn Bridge specifically) and did not see or hear them- except in the media. I know several Wall Streeters who are laughing all the way to the bank so I don't think their intended target is too concerned nor will what they are doing is going to illicit change. Change will only happen when we all vote them all out.
Also, we want jobs to stay in America, but we are unwilling to pay extra for goods made here. We can't compete with the low labor costs of foreign countries. I am making a major effort to buy only products made in the USA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I share a lot of disgust and frustration about what went down on Wall Street with these folks but I don't like how it appears that the far left is hijacking the movement. I was hoping that this would be a more unified movement that would include all sorts of people but it looks more and more like a movement for Che Guevara T-shirt-wearing graduate students. I saw where they "renamed" Woodruff Park Troy Davis Park. Way to polarize conservative working class Georgians who might otherwise be on your side, guys.

I don't think you can make the blanket statement that ALL these people are anti-corporate. And saying someone should eschew anything produced by a corporation before criticizing them is like saying someone shouldn't ride a bus to an environmental rally because it consumes fossil fuels and pollutes the environment. I do agree that corporations have far too much influence on American politics and that shareholders have far too much influence on corporations. Wall Street was a big Get Rich Quick scam that only a handful of people benefited from when it all went to hell. Of course there is plenty of blame to go around and ALMOST EVERYONE let greed get the best of them.

I guess a lot of it has to do with the impression that people's lives seem more under the control of the huge, unpredictable forces of the markets rather than their own will nowadays. Most folks don't understand how Wall Street works but they do understand that whatever went down left them in a lot worse shape as far as their future is concerned. I think a lot of folks want more transparency and moderation in the financial industry.
I was doing some research this weekend about the "Occupy" movement and according the to most sites, the movement is, in fact mobilized around a central demand: get corporate dollars out of politics. Stop letting major corporations donate beaucoups amounts of money to policymakers to push through legislation that only benefits their financial interests. Our country is one "for the people, by the people", not "for the corporations, by the corporations". Conservatives are trying to confuse and water down the "Occupy Wall Street" message, when it's really quite simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2011, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Georgia
284 posts, read 860,599 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Economy can't be that bad when people think 45k is poor in Atlanta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
I was thinking the same thing lol. Working poor? Maybe for NY or LA.. but I didn't think Atlanta
The median income in Atlanta is $49,981, G.A is $47,590 and from the last thread about income on this board-multiple people were saying that a single person would be ok with $50k. Its true, $45k is not really working poor in Atlanta-but for a family of three, its damn borderline. And it certainly depends on who your talking to-from some posts on this thread-I am poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 07:19 PM
 
Location: North Fulton, GA
1,071 posts, read 1,376,614 times
Reputation: 521
I have four children in their 20's living in New York and the cost of living is extremely high, as in tiny one bedroom apartments costing over $3,000/month. And that is just the start of higher costs for everything.
People living outside of expensive metropolitan areas do not understand how expensive it is. But, when your job is in those cities, you do what you have to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Historic Downtown, Jersey City, NJ
328 posts, read 438,055 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
I have four children in their 20's living in New York and the cost of living is extremely high, as in tiny one bedroom apartments costing over $3,000/month. And that is just the start of higher costs for everything.
People living outside of expensive metropolitan areas do not understand how expensive it is. But, when your job is in those cities, you do what you have to do.
There are definitely 1 BR apts for under $3000 a month. I pay half that and live 2 miles outside of Manhattan. Paying that much is not doing what you have to do. It's refusing to live anywhere except an overpriced Manhattan apt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 PM
 
Location: North Fulton, GA
1,071 posts, read 1,376,614 times
Reputation: 521
My point is that working in New York takes a lot more money than Georgia. Believe me, the apartments my kids live in (with multiple roommates) are not ultra-luxury. But, they are in safe areas, which is better than cheaper living in say, the Bronx or commuting for hours. And, their commutes are 30-40 minutes per subway(s) each way as it is.
And, the New York state and city taxes are higher than Georgia, as well as utilities, groceries and basic needs. Their income would provide a much nicer life style here in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 08:42 PM
 
2,392 posts, read 1,385,323 times
Reputation: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
My point is that working in New York takes a lot more money than Georgia. Believe me, the apartments my kids live in (with multiple roommates) are not ultra-luxury. But, they are in safe areas, which is better than cheaper living in say, the Bronx or commuting for hours. And, their commutes are 30-40 minutes per subway(s) each way as it is.
And, the New York state and city taxes are higher than Georgia, as well as utilities, groceries and basic needs. Their income would provide a much nicer life style here in Atlanta.
The salaries up there compensate for much of the higher cost of living. My wife had a job offer up there with her old company that, despite being the same level, paid a 33% cost of living adjustment. Just to back this up I looked up the starting teacher pay in NYC vs. Atlanta and it was approximately $46,000 vs. $35,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Historic Downtown, Jersey City, NJ
328 posts, read 438,055 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
My point is that working in New York takes a lot more money than Georgia. Believe me, the apartments my kids live in (with multiple roommates) are not ultra-luxury. But, they are in safe areas, which is better than cheaper living in say, the Bronx or commuting for hours. And, their commutes are 30-40 minutes per subway(s) each way as it is.
And, the New York state and city taxes are higher than Georgia, as well as utilities, groceries and basic needs. Their income would provide a much nicer life style here in Atlanta.
I work in Manhattan too and my commute is 25 minutes via subway (PATH) which I walk to. Ok I know I'm just nitpicking now. Sorry to pick on you. Your point is still valid. It is much more expensive than Georgia which
I didn't appreciate at the time because I never lived anywhere but Ga.

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah the protests. Most everyone was throwing around terms like socialism and communism while one guy was reporting live from Troy Davis park that doctors and lawyers can't get away with making a lot of money anymore lol. Oh city-data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Moscow, Russian Federation
2,097 posts, read 2,002,718 times
Reputation: 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchahboune View Post
I was doing some research this weekend about the "Occupy" movement and according the to most sites, the movement is, in fact mobilized around a central demand: get corporate dollars out of politics. Stop letting major corporations donate beaucoups amounts of money to policymakers to push through legislation that only benefits their financial interests. Our country is one "for the people, by the people", not "for the corporations, by the corporations". Conservatives are trying to confuse and water down the "Occupy Wall Street" message, when it's really quite simple.
Sounds reasonable enough. I think most people on both sides of the political spectrum can agree on this. If they disagree then they are just idiots, plain and simple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
There are definitely 1 BR apts for under $3000 a month. I pay half that and live 2 miles outside of Manhattan. Paying that much is not doing what you have to do. It's refusing to live anywhere except an overpriced Manhattan apt.
This is true. My friend rents a decent 1BR is Astoria for $1200(could possibly be a little higher cause he's been there since '08) and it's about 15 minutes from Midtown. Cool as hell neighborhood too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
My point is that working in New York takes a lot more money than Georgia. Believe me, the apartments my kids live in (with multiple roommates) are not ultra-luxury. But, they are in safe areas, which is better than cheaper living in say, the Bronx or commuting for hours. And, their commutes are 30-40 minutes per subway(s) each way as it is.
And, the New York state and city taxes are higher than Georgia, as well as utilities, groceries and basic needs. Their income would provide a much nicer life style here in Atlanta.
This is also true. I pay less to share a 4BR house with a huge yard in Atlanta than I did for a room in a 3 family home in Astoria. But...the Bronx actually has some very nice areas and you do sacrifice a few creature comforts to live in one of the greatest cities on Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
I work in Manhattan too and my commute is 25 minutes via subway (PATH) which I walk to. Ok I know I'm just nitpicking now. Sorry to pick on you. Your point is still valid. It is much more expensive than Georgia which
I didn't appreciate at the time because I never lived anywhere but Ga.

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah the protests. Most everyone was throwing around terms like socialism and communism while one guy was reporting live from Troy Davis park that doctors and lawyers can't get away with making a lot of money anymore lol. Oh city-data.
I guess it just illustrates how freakin' polarized people are in this country. I'm about ready to put together a movement of moderates fed up with the idiots on both sides locking up the government and the economy and bickering like children. Who wants to join me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Historic Downtown, Jersey City, NJ
328 posts, read 438,055 times
Reputation: 242
Agreed DTL. I hate the us vs them mentality most people have. I almost feel like the two party system is some sort of elaborate ploy to keep the people fighting amongst themselves and distracted while they (dems/reps) rule as one large regime regardless of what "person" or "party" appears to be in charge.

As far as the protesters go I think a lot of them don't know what they are talking about. They are just jumping on the bandwagon with some vague idea of what they are actually doing or how things work.

That said, I do think some changes need to be made. I do agree that business should stay out of government and that large companies and banks shouldn't be able to exploit flaws in the system and loopholes in the law. However to suggest that someone is bad just because they are wealthy and should somehow have to "pay" is ridiculous.

There is a middle ground between heartless, ruthless capitalism and Soviet style repressive Communism or Socialism. In other words Capitalism is good....to an extent. You have to have a human element to it. It can't all just be money, money, money, everything else be damned. That doesn't mean it has to go the other extreme and be Nazi Germany lol. I mean geez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2011, 12:04 AM
 
1,050 posts, read 844,439 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
There is a middle ground between heartless, ruthless capitalism and Soviet style repressive Communism or Socialism. In other words Capitalism is good....to an extent. You have to have a human element to it. It can't all just be money, money, money, everything else be damned. That doesn't mean it has to go the other extreme and be Nazi Germany lol. I mean geez.
This is the point I always try to make. It doesn't have to be that you either work your ass off and become a billionaire, OR you live in squalor because you're deemed unworthy. But, there's a large subset of people out there who believe exactly that. It's not all about money, money, money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top