Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,278 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to Georgia from NY and researching the cities. I would like to move in commuting distance to Atlanta for work opportunities. We are a married white couple in our 40's with a 2 year old. Have heard good things about Woodstock and Canton. Can anyone report on crime, schools, daycare, commute to Atlanta, weather, shopping, housing, etc. We looking to purchase a foreclosure with some property as we also have 4 dogs and 3 cats that would come down with us. We are still deciding in GA is the best or we have also been considering TN or VA. I want to find the area where there is more job opportunity with bigger corporations. Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 07:43 AM

738 posts, read 1,371,724 times
There are big corporations in Atlanta, Marietta, and Alpharetta but the job situation here is not good - it's actually worse than it was a year ago. I highly, HIGHLY recommend finding a job here before you even think about moving.

Commuting distance is relative, in Atlanta. The commute downtown from Woodstock and Canton can be anywhere from 40 minutes to 2 hours. If you can do it in off-hours you'll be happier.

For a feel of the local vibe (including news, crime, restaurants, schools and shopping), try the Patch.com websites for Woodstock and Canton.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:03 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,348,711 times
Woodstock is a great little town! And it is growing. We've had lots of new businesses (including some restaurants) open up in the central town area since the beginning of the year. They regularly hold festivals and free concerts in the park.

That being said, Woodstock (and Canton to the north) are not close to Atlanta. If you are going to work somewhere along the I-75 corridor (Kennesaw, Marietta, Vinings) then the commute is what I would call reasonable (I work near I-75 and I-285, and my commute is okay). But if you are going to work in midtown or downtown, Buckhead or the Perimeter/Dunwoody area, then the commute will be a minimum of 45 minutes and likely more like 90 to 120 minutes during rush hour. There are express buses that go between Woodstock and downtown Atlanta, but they travel on the same roads. Although they will save you frustration they likely won't save you much time.

Added: and I agree with researchnerd. Make sure you have a job before you move down here. Lots of folk move here then try to find a job, only to discover the realities of 10% unemployment. That's where lots of our foreclosed houses come from.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,686,950 times
I love the Woodstock area, really a cool area.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:53 AM

738 posts, read 1,371,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
That being said, Woodstock (and Canton to the north) are not close to Atlanta. If you are going to work somewhere along the I-75 corridor (Kennesaw, Marietta, Vinings) then the commute is what I would call reasonable (I work near I-75 and I-285, and my commute is okay). But if you are going to work in midtown or downtown, Buckhead or the Perimeter/Dunwoody area, then the commute will be a minimum of 45 minutes and likely more like 90 to 120 minutes during rush hour. There are express buses that go between Woodstock and downtown Atlanta, but they travel on the same roads. Although they will save you frustration they likely won't save you much time.
billl is right. I have taken the express bus downtown from Canton, which stops in Woodstock. It's less stressful than driving, and the buses are pretty nice, but it generally takes longer. Either way, bus or car, when you have 1.5 hour commute each way on a daily basis, it's like having a part-time job...for which you don't get paid. Driving is also expensive - I currently spend >$400/month on gas. It would be a little less from Woodstock but not a lot - just something to figure into your budget.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:06 AM

747 posts, read 1,538,143 times
There's already been a few Woodstock threads; do a search for more info. As I've written before, Woodstock is a solidly middle class suburb with a lot of kids. Little crime, middle of the road schools, typical suburban shopping and dining (except for downtown Woodstock, which rocks), plenty of cookie cutter subdivisions.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:11 PM

876 posts, read 2,268,228 times
You want to secure the job first in the metro Atlanta area. Many people like Woodstock overall, (-I have heard in general-) and it is nice there with the small mountains all around, but it is pretty far out for commuting to many places near and around Atlanta.

I don't know much about the job market in TN or VA, but VA near DC would of course have a much higher cost of living than either GA or TN. TN is generally cheaper to live than it is in the metro Atlanta area. If I found a good paying job in TN (near Nashville), I might consider relocating myself to a slower-paced life style, but if you are not really familiar with the South that much, I would visit some areas you like first.

Definitely visit some of the areas first (if you never have before) and then narrow it down. It might help you in your own decision. Good luck in the job search and move.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,278 times
Thanks everyone for your responses. We are looking to come down soon to check out the area. Out of curiosity how much is a gallon of gas down there? NY where we live it is $4.00/gallon. Right now my commute to work is about 1 hour + so I am used to a long commute. We are looking for some peace, a nice house with at least 1 acre that we can call home. I have a niece in Hinesville so I am also asking her for some input but she does not know much about the Atlanta region.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:48 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,972,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGTASHA View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. We are looking to come down soon to check out the area. Out of curiosity how much is a gallon of gas down there? NY where we live it is $4.00/gallon. Right now my commute to work is about 1 hour + so I am used to a long commute. We are looking for some peace, a nice house with at least 1 acre that we can call home. I have a niece in Hinesville so I am also asking her for some input but she does not know much about the Atlanta region.
You can find more information about gas prices than you probably wanted to know here:

USA National Gas Price Heat Map - GasBuddy.com

Old 08-21-2011, 04:05 PM

857 posts, read 4,867,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGTASHA View Post
We are thinking of relocating to Georgia from NY and researching the cities. I would like to move in commuting distance to Atlanta for work opportunities. We are a married white couple in our 40's with a 2 year old. Have heard good things about Woodstock and Canton. Can anyone report on crime, schools, daycare, commute to Atlanta, weather, shopping, housing, etc. We looking to purchase a foreclosure with some property as we also have 4 dogs and 3 cats that would come down with us. We are still deciding in GA is the best or we have also been considering TN or VA. I want to find the area where there is more job opportunity with bigger corporations. Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
I moved here 18 years ago from White Plains, NY. It was a great place to raise a kid, and I made as much here as I did in NY and my house and taxes were 1/3 of what I was paying up there. Depending on what part of NY you are moving from you will definitely get more bang for your buck down here.

As others have stated, you should find a job before moving. The job market here is not good right now. Another area you might want to look into is Greenville, SC. There are a lot of companies moving to that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta