Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:56 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times

Advertisements

The Atlanta streetcar system going to have to built in sections. The national interstate highway system was built this way and so is all other infrastructure. The downtown line will be a starter line to show the region that streetcars and eventually light-rail can work in Atlanta. The BeltLine and downtown streetcar will the use the same cars and infrastructure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 05:15 PM

444 posts, read 703,466 times
Default Atlanta Kicks Off Streetcar Construction

Quote:
The goal is to create the "most modern transportation system of any city in the South," said Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed. Even with ripped-up streets in the next several years, "the benefits far outweigh the inconveniences."

Streetcar work begins, total cost rises *| ajc.com

Last edited by NYbyWAYofGA; 02-01-2012 at 06:25 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 06:08 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times
And the price has risen from $72 million to $94 million. $9 million can be explained as using new instead of refurbished cars. Another $9 million to move water and sewer pipes and another $5 million of a bike path and sidewalk improvements.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:10 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
It has started:

Downtown Atlanta

Old 02-01-2012, 10:34 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,547 times
I already want to ride on it!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
I believe the city did the right thing by getting new streetcars that will be assembled in Alpharetta. These cars will last longer and prevent the city from having to build ramps to comply with ADA. Finally the city is not half-assing something by buying new streetcars. The critics can ****. No money is being diverted from another resources. The money the city is contributing was going for repaving the street anyways.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,498 times
I think the streetcars are a good idea, although I still have reservations about the specific route this one is taking.

I'm not sure what the psychological reasons are, but for some reason many people (especially middle and higher income people) prefer streetcars and rail to buses. Buses just have a bad reputation and even when you make the buses fancier and more efficient you have a ceiling on how many people will ride them.

It sounds like most of the additional money being spent is worthwhile. Things like new cars instead of old ones, not having to build the ramps, sidewalk improvements, bike lanes, etc are real improvements, not just cost overruns. The only thing is that if the sewer work was going to have to be included, then that cost should have been included in the earlier estimates.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:09 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I think the streetcars are a good idea, although I still have reservations about the specific route this one is taking.

I'm not sure what the psychological reasons are, but for some reason many people (especially middle and higher income people) prefer streetcars and rail to buses. Buses just have a bad reputation and even when you make the buses fancier and more efficient you have a ceiling on how many people will ride them.

It sounds like most of the additional money being spent is worthwhile. Things like new cars instead of old ones, not having to build the ramps, sidewalk improvements, bike lanes, etc are real improvements, not just cost overruns. The only thing is that if the sewer work was going to have to be included, then that cost should have been included in the earlier estimates.
In context though, the streetcar is being built in the oldest part of the city. I wouldn't be surprised that the sewer that does exist there is made from brickwork laid down shortly after the Civil War.

There is also the distinct possibility that the "sewer" is nothing more than brick arch built over a natural creek. A little known fact about Intown Atlanta is that shallow creeks cover most of the old city and they were used for waste removal and drinking water.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,984,814 times
I agree this is a time it is best to spend the money upfront to avoid issues like building permanent ADA ramps in the sidewalk. Once we jump onboard with one technology, it would be very difficult to change it to a different technology down the road. Since this is likely going to be connected with the Beltline in the not-too-distant future, we shouldn't cheap out just to keep the budget for this relatively small project from going over.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,984,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
In context though, the streetcar is being built in the oldest part of the city. I wouldn't be surprised that the sewer that does exist there is made from brickwork laid down shortly after the Civil War.

There is also the distinct possibility that the "sewer" is nothing more than brick arch built over a natural creek. A little known fact about Intown Atlanta is that shallow creeks cover most of the old city and they were used for waste removal and drinking water.
Does anyone know the history of the sewer in this particular street; especially how does it fit into the $4 billion sewer upgrade the city is undertaking?

It would be nice to kill two birds with one stone here. On the other side of the coin, it would be a shame to have already upgraded this particular sewer and to be paying millions to relocate it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta