Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 03:27 PM

47 posts, read 138,655 times

Advertisements

MARTA started posting signs about rerouting bus routes to facilitate construction of the Streetcar from Centennial Olympic Park to the King Memorial. Finally the ball is rolling on public transport expansion! HOOOORAAAHHHH!!!!

Atlanta Streetcar

Home

Route | Atlanta Streetcar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 03:29 PM

47 posts, read 138,655 times
Default Map of Streetcar

Forgot to include a map...merp
Attached Thumbnails
Atlanta streetcar!!!-georgiatransitconnector.jpeg  

Old 10-06-2011, 03:53 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,880,354 times
I think this is a pretty cool idea even though it is very tourist-centered.

My question is why doesn't it go north just one or two more blocks so that it really drops people off close to the Aquarium/World of Coke? The Aquarium is the most highly visited tourist spot in Georgia, and yet this brand new streetcar which is supposed to go between that and MLK actually only goes to the southern end of Centennial Olympic Park, about three blocks away from the aquarium and at the very edge of the walking map according to their own documents?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 PM

635 posts, read 1,504,044 times
Yeah, they definitely should have brought it up to pemberton place.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,513,497 times
I'm sorry, but I honestly think the whole idea is a pointless waste of money.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:15 PM

969 posts, read 1,951,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I'm sorry, but I honestly think the whole idea is a pointless waste of money.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:22 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,300,622 times
People need to remember this is our "starter line" of a new streetcar network. This line is now being planned as a tie-in to the NE portion of the Beltline. Things don't happen overnight......

Old 10-06-2011, 08:26 PM

969 posts, read 1,951,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I think this is a pretty cool idea even though it is very tourist-centered.

My question is why doesn't it go north just one or two more blocks so that it really drops people off close to the Aquarium/World of Coke? The Aquarium is the most highly visited tourist spot in Georgia, and yet this brand new streetcar which is supposed to go between that and MLK actually only goes to the southern end of Centennial Olympic Park, about three blocks away from the aquarium and at the very edge of the walking map according to their own documents?
Will walking 3 blocks really be an issue? Especially if you walk through the park??

Besides, if the transportation referendum is approved by voters, the Beltline will connect to the streetcar and it will go right past the Aquarium so you won't have to walk those 3 exhausting blocks...

http://saportareport.com/wp-content/...anta-tia-1.jpg

Old 10-06-2011, 10:57 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,781,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Will walking 3 blocks really be an issue? Especially if you walk through the park??
If you are in a wheelchair? Yes.
If you have a bad leg or leg issues? Yes.
If you are elderly? Yes.
If you have kids in tow? Yes.
If it's 100 degrees outside? Yes.
etc
etc
etc

While it is a "starter line", the starter line should have been a solid base for things to be connected to it later. It misses the Aquarium/Coke area by 2-3 walking blocks. It misses FOUR major downtown hotels by 3-5+ walking blocks each. It really only seems to service the MLK center, which is fine, so long as they call it the MLK streetcar; otherwise, it's bypassing pretty much 90% of the other things the starter route should be stopping in front of, right off the bat.

I like the idea of a streetcar in the downtown/midtown/buckhead areas - if they are done right. But just like Gwinnett's new HOT lanes - this is not being done right, right off the bat.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:33 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,987,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post

Besides, if the transportation referendum is approved by voters, the Beltline will connect to the streetcar and it will go right past the Aquarium so you won't have to walk those 3 exhausting blocks...

http://saportareport.com/wp-content/...anta-tia-1.jpg
They want the streetcar to ride on the hotel elevator and knock on there door
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta