U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:48 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,617,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I hate to say it because I have some friends there, but they are never going to become an urban environment at that rate.

It's the same for the rest of the state of California. That is why most people in California drive to Vegas to party
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 09:07 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,478,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkeshaThnx4Lyfe View Post
Why would anyone wanna live in the San Franciso? No black culture like in the ATL. ATL is the black Mecca, praise God!

~Markesha
Many of us aren't all that interested in black culture. Whatever that is.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Many of us aren't all that interested in black culture. Whatever that is.
Wearing your pants below your butt and talking loudly with slurred speech. I, for one, am hoping to get out of Atlanta partially for this reason; they're EVERYWHERE!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:42 PM

425 posts, read 1,587,208 times
Not sure if serious but i hope you're not that miserable. I mean, surely you have better things to worry about, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deavon View Post
Wearing your pants below your butt and talking loudly with slurred speech. I, for one, am hoping to get out of Atlanta partially for this reason; they're EVERYWHERE!

Old 04-25-2013, 01:23 PM

1,998 posts, read 3,033,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Somebody sent me this...

SF nightlife is way better if you're not black. SF is beautiful, never hot or cold. Who gives a **** about the airport. Cost of living is cheap in atlanta because it attracts stupid, ghetto, cheap people. Hi quality people in SF. Low quality in ATL.

That's just stupid... Whoever sent you that ought to be ashamed of themselves and shouldn't reproduce. We need less people like that in this world. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll choke on a peanut butter sandwich or something. Kidding of course. I wish harm to no man. But it really IS a dumb and peculiarly emotionally charged statement to make anonymously... Makes me wonder what is really at the root of their a statement.

Also pretty cowardly to send anonymous messages.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkeshaThnx4Lyfe View Post
Why would anyone wanna live in the San Franciso? No black culture like in the ATL. ATL is the black Mecca, praise God!

~Markesha
Lol... Really?

Well obviously, not everyone is black...........

Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM

I LOVE my hometown (Atlanta), But honestly, San Fran is great. Things ARE a lot more expensive, but IF YOU CAN afford to live there, IMO, things just tend to make more sense.
Atlanta has a way of taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back and not even realizing it... Atlanta's future scares me for the city... BTW, there IS a REASON that homes are cheap and have gotten cheaper there...... Ponder on it and you'll realize why............ (a city getting cheaper to live in is typically not a good sign).

Now, ATL IS making steps forward and improving the city little by little, but there just seem to be sooooooooooooooooo many anti-progress minded people living in the state that they try their hardest to slow any progress by voting down anything and everything they can (yeah, might be a slight exageration, but you get my point).

Now, I'm not sold on San Fran having a better nightlife, HOWEVER I will say they do a lot better job of making the nightlife accessable and walkable. But they definitely don't party and get it in like in ATL...

ATL has untapped potential and IMO, I feel like it's because a lack of vision in among the leaders that can make things happen. There are a slim few with great ideas. And many of the others don't care anyway, their too busy being corrupt and trying to steal more money from the people (probably the same in every city big tho).

San Fran has such a unique landscape. No place on Earth is quite like it. Just stepping out your door and walking the streets can be pretty refreshing when you get to look at the scenery. San Fran has the ocean.... Idk about you, but living near the ocean can get inside you, and one day you look up and no longer feel "right" living anywhere without the ocean nearby (not multiple hours drive away).

And about ATL airport............ Lol. Okay... I like knowing that ATL has the busiest. Sure. It's nice to say "the ...est" of anything. And for me, when choosing a place to live, having a major airport near so I can travel is top 3 in importance. BUT, ATL only has one airport and it doesn't service some of the discount airlines at that... And there aren't any other airports nearby. Chattanooga is not near enough.
With San Fran having 3 major airports near, it works out finding deals out of the city. ATL does get good DELTA deals, but San Fran gets good other airline deals.

AND, whoever said San Fran is "never hot nor cold" is crazy...........

Old 04-27-2013, 06:17 PM

283 posts, read 280,820 times
Yeah, I would probably only move from SF to Atlanta if you need a bump in quality of life with regards to money. Atlanta is drastically cheaper than much of California, even if you factor in a geographic differential on salaries.

I guess maybe a second reason would be if you have family in the SE region (or maybe even parts of the midwest) and want to be closer for any reason.

Other than that, I would stay there. Although, depending on what career you're in, I've heard that the job market can be rough in the Bay Area especially because of the saturation of certain jobs (e.g., programming, engineering, etc.). Finding a job here might be a tad easier because we probably don't have the number of folks as compared to Silicon Valley/SF.

I was in SF last week and liked it. Now if only I can get my company to let me move out there...

Old 04-27-2013, 07:08 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,923,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
Yeah, I would probably only move from SF to Atlanta if you need a bump in quality of life with regards to money. Atlanta is drastically cheaper than much of California, even if you factor in a geographic differential on salaries.

I guess maybe a second reason would be if you have family in the SE region (or maybe even parts of the midwest) and want to be closer for any reason.

Other than that, I would stay there. Although, depending on what career you're in, I've heard that the job market can be rough in the Bay Area especially because of the saturation of certain jobs (e.g., programming, engineering, etc.). Finding a job here might be a tad easier because we probably don't have the number of folks as compared to Silicon Valley/SF.

I was in SF last week and liked it. Now if only I can get my company to let me move out there...
There are lots of reasons someone might want to leave San Francisco for Atlanta...weather, seasons, politics, location, school, relationship, etc. Don't assume because you feel that way that everyone does.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:24 AM

3,329 posts, read 3,993,853 times
A friend of mine who is an Atlanta native lived in San Francisco and moved back to Atlanta two years ago. He wants to move back to San Francisco. He felt that SF is a much better city with much more offerings with much better pay. He said salary decreased by more than half when he moved back to Atlanta.

The cost of living may be cheaper in Atlanta than SF, but people often don't take into account that jobs in GA pay less (often times significantly less), particularly if you aren't in IT, medicine, law or STEM-related fields altogether. I personally don't see why people always say Atlanta is cheap. Cheap and cheaper aren't necessarily synonymous.

I was looking at apartments with a friend in Dunwoody yesterday (Dunwoody is an Atlanta suburb full of strip malls), the rents started at $1,632 for a two bedroom and almost $1200 for a one bedroom (and yes, there was an Applebee's in walking distance from the apartment complexes we looked at lol). My reaction when I saw how much the rents were was, "WHAT THE HECK?! I COULD GET A GREAT APARTMENT IN A GREAT NEIGHBORHOOD IN CHICAGO PROPER FOR THIS!!" All the apartments we looked at were surrounded by strip malls. In metro Atlanta, living close to strip malls with a Target and an Applebee's means being close to shopping and entertainment as a great amenity, and people here are willing to pay high rent to live near "high-end" strip malls. This is particularly true if you don't choose the Midtown, Little 5 Points or Virginia-Highland areas to live in.

Rent may be higher in SF but just keep in mind that the rent in the nice areas in Atlanta is high in relation to the salaries here, and for what you'd pay in rent in the nice areas here, you still won't have as much at your finger tips. Atlanta's amenities aren't on par with other major cities. If you are moving here for a job transfer and are bringing your CA salary with you, then you can probably make it work for you. If you don't have a job already, Atlanta's job market is tough. It's very hard to get a job here.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 04-28-2013 at 03:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or