U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 08:55 AM

3,336 posts, read 4,009,849 times

Advertisements

I know these threads have been posted ad nauseum. However, I've read over them and as someone who has lived here for nearly 15 years, I feel the questions posed by those relocating here (or who are considering it) have not been answered honestly and thoroughly.

So onto my list. I will try to keep it simple.

Those who SHOULD move here:

Group 1: People transfering here with good salaries who are bringing those salaries with them

Group 2: College and medical school students

Info list for Group 1:

Where to live for singles:

If you are single and want the city lifestyle and you earn a good salary, Buckhead, Brookhaven, Virginia-Highland, Grant Park and Midtown (gay part of town but still nice) are your neighborhood best bets. If you are a hipster or trendy, consider Inman park, Little 5 Points and Candler Park (which is across from Virginia-Highland) or East Atlanta. There transitioning places near downtown with lofts and what not.

Va-Hi as great bars, restaurants and boutiques.

Where to live for families/couples anticipating families.

1. If you have a family but want the city life with safe neighborhoods and great schools and access to things to do, Virginia-Highland/Druid Hills, Morningside/Lenox Park and Toco Hills are good choices. Houses for the first four start around $600-$700k and top out and around $2 million, though you maybe able to find something for $500k. These areas are safe and walkable/joggable. Inman Park, Candler Park and Midtown are still good choices for families, as these neighborhoods are still in one of the best school districts in the Atlanta Public Schools system.

For Toco Hills (Jewish part of town full of synagogues, Jewish schools, great kosher restaurants and supermarkets with huge kosher sections) also look along LaVista Road, Briarcliff Road and Clairmont Road for housing. Those houses go for around $250-$400k to start. Buckhead is the most expensive of all but also walkable/joggable. All are accessible to public transit by bus and train. There are also nice houses arounf Northlake Mall

2. If you have a family and want a city-suburb mix, then Decatur, GA in the 30030 zip code near dowtown Decatur on the Atlanta border or the Oakhurst neighborhood are great choices for things to do and great schools. Kirkwood is next to Oakhusrst and is nice. Downtown Decatur has great restaurants and boutiques. STAY AWAY FROM 30034! Once you go south in Decatur and areas around Flat Shoals Rd., Panola Rd., and Wesley Chapple Rd., Decatur is pretty ghetto.

3. For the suburbs complete with strip mall-living, Alpharetta, Dunwoody and Duluth. The first two have public transportation.

Info List for Group 2:

Emory medical school students:

All the areas I named for singles are perfect for you excluding Grant Park and East Atlanta because they are in the same neighborhood or in close proximity to the Emory campus and hospital. They are also a short drive to Grady Hospital if you are doing residency there. Toco Hills is also close to Emory.

Morehouse Medical students:

All the HBCU'S here are in the hood and because I never go to those areas, I can't tell you about housing. I only know that they can be very unsafe. If you don't mind that then good. If you do, see my list for singles above.

Those who SHOULD NOT move to Atlanta:

1. Those without jobs lined up. There are no jobs here. Unless you are in IT or highly educated, forget it. Even then it's still tough to find work.

2. Those will low-paying skill sets (jobs that pay less than $15 an hour). See no. 1. The jobs don't pay well here even for people with degrees compared to other cities. Sure Atlanta is cheaper than places like NYC but it's still expensive so an $8 an hour job won't cut it.

Atlanta is not some land of milk and honey rife with opportunities if you aren't educated

3. Those who have kids but can't afford housing in the good areas I mentioned. You may as well stay where you are.

4. Single women looking for a man. Unless you
bring one with you, it is highly unlikely you will find one to settle down with here. This is true whether you are black or white but it's even harder for single black women in Atlanta.

The crime in Atlanta is bad and Georgia schools are lowly ranked.
Also, the public tranportation system is not that great.

My list is not extensive because I only included the areas I know for a fact are the best Atlanta has to offer in terms of safe areas, things to do and great schools.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 10-09-2011 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta